• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This is the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

It's a weird movie. But yet, you know what it's going for. Apparently, the initial reaction was so bad, WB rethought the third film and we got Batman Forever

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have more nostalgia for '89 since that's what got me into Batman and it was such a phenomenon that summer but Returns is the better Burton movie. I watch it every Christmas.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lord Walken gets away with stealing yet another film.

tumblr_ohe64mRLlD1qfr6udo1_500.gif

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this when I was like 8 years old and it forever shaped my opinion of who Batman/Bruce Wayne as a character is. And what the world of Batman/Gotham should be.

I love the incredible atmosphere. I love the performances. I love that it's a Christmas film.

It's been eclipsed by The Batman, The Dark Knight, and maybe Batman Begins, but it's still one of the best Batman films ever made.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing a TV news report back then interviewing people coming out of the theater for their reactions. Can't find it on YT but here's other vintage coverage. A different time. Much more of a (even whiter) monoculture.

www.youtube.com

Batman Returns Premiere, Warner Merchandise room & Batman Stunt Show (from VHS)

This is a extremely rare TV segment on the U.S. premiere of Batman Returns. Also in the segment is a look inside the Warner Bros Batman Returns officially li...

May 24, 2019
I remember seeing a TV news report back then interviewing people coming out of the theater for their reactions. Can't find it on YT but here's other vintage coverage. A different time. Much more of a (even whiter) monoculture.

www.youtube.com

Batman Returns Premiere, Warner Merchandise room & Batman Stunt Show (from VHS)

This is a extremely rare TV segment on the U.S. premiere of Batman Returns. Also in the segment is a look inside the Warner Bros Batman Returns officially li...
Lol at Steven Seagal's answer to "Would you like to play Batman?"

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Danny DeVito's black slime-drooling Penguin is seared into my brain probably forever.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In many ways Tim Burton got to leave his last word on The Dark Knight.

"Good will toward men. ...and women."

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I like Batman 89 a bit better, but Returns is still really good. I remember seeing it opening weekend at the daycare I was volunteering as a counselor for at the time. It was so packed that the theater broke all sorts of fire codes by letting people sit in the aisles and stand by the back wall if they weren't able to get a seat.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I was 7, nearly 8 when it came out. I remember it being one of the first films I was mega hyped for. The first was the Turtles movie.

I had Batman 89 on VHS and it was the film that turned me into being a huge Batman fan for pretty much the rest of my life.

I absolutely begged my Dad to get a pirate copy of the film from someone he worked but he was never able to. I was too young to see it in the cinema since it was a 12 over here and it was before the 12a got introduced.

Ended up not getting it until the VHS release which was probably ages after the cinema release compared to the short turn arounds these days. Liked the film but never as much as 89. Still my favourite version of Catwoman though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, the initial reaction was so bad, WB rethought the third film and we got Batman Forever

While talking up the 30th anniversary of Batman Returns to Empire, director Tim Burton brought up the infamous "bat nipples." And he couldn't believe the studio fired him for the oddball kinkiness of Batman Returns, only to have Joel Schumacher add them in the next, supposedly more "Happy Meal friendly" movie. Here's what he had to say:

"[Back then] they went the other way. That's the funny thing about it. But then I was like, 'Wait a minute. Okay. Hold on a second here. You complain about me, I'm too weird, I'm too dark, and then you put nipples on the costume? Go f*** yourself.' Seriously. So yeah, I think that's why I didn't end up [doing a third film]…"
nerdist.com

Tim Burton Has a Strong Opinion About Batman's Nipples

After all this time, Batman's nipples are still a source of controversy. Even for Batman and Batman Returns director Tim Burton.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Love this movie even though part of my brain says that I shouldnt. I mean, in a lot of ways it's just not great.

Its got plot threads that lead absolutely nowhere and characterizations that are all over the place. And its depictions of both Catwoman and Penguin were so wildly divergent from the comics that it really bothered me, even as a kid.

But it also oozes style and is just so thoroughly weird that it kind of loops back on itself and almost excuses its dodgy writing because it exists in it's own little world that doesnt necessarily have to make sense.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I find Batman isn't what makes this a good movie. It's the penguin and catwoman

In 89 it's Batman and joker together making the film great

Devitos penguin is one hell of a character

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How could they

Those fucks taking Burton off of Batman was a travesty

In this case, it's not like it was about parent complaints or test audiences. Returns had a big box office drop from Batman. Forever actually beat Returns too. Of course, doubling down in Forever's direction with Batman & Robin ended up killing these movies.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017

This is the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

It's a weird movie. But yet, you know what it's going for. Apparently, the initial reaction was so bad, WB rethought the third film and we got Batman Forever

Initial reaction was the highest US film opening weekend ever. It just fell off mega hard on the second. I think it was the film I saw most in cinemas (or possibly T2).

How could they

Those fucks taking Burton off of Batman was a travesty
The one thing that ensures a hasty boot in the ass on a property in Hollywood is when it doesn't make enough money. Returns had an enormous opening weekend, but the WOM was so toxic that the overall gross was about half of what the 1989 film made, and the more damaging aspect was that toy sales for the film were infamously low. Execs will give as many excuses for what the problem is otherwise, but Burton fucked with their Batman money and as a result, he had to go.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't start seeing the Batman films in theatres until Forever (woof); but the vhs for Returns saw heavy action. Still my favourite Batman film.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Max Shrek is the best Batman villain ever

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I was obsessed with drawing that duck car in like 2nd grade. I would not stop drawing that shit in class lol.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I love this film. Until Nolan's trilogy, it was my fav Bat film

The aesthetic, costume design, etc were great.

Watched this film a lot when i was young.

I also love the BatCat relationship here. The way they both related regarding wearing masks literally and figuratively was great!

Oct 25, 2017
Best Batman movie. Period.

I don't quite agree, but Batman Returns is absolutely neck and neck for the crown in my book! It's such a unique comic book film, working more like a smaller scaled mood piece running on dream logic amidst a snowy Gotham City.

Lord Walken gets away with stealing yet another film.

tumblr_ohe64mRLlD1qfr6udo1_500.gif

Let's not forget the guy playing Max Shreck's son Chip and his constant Walken impression throughout the film!

"DAHD, GO SAVE YOURSELF! DAHD GO!"

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Selina's breakdown was really disturbing to me as a kid, especially when she puts those stuffed toys in the garbage disposal. But boy, the Batmobile was so cool.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Also, regardless of any of this movies good qualities, CDs do not make record scratching sounds, and for that, I will never forgive this film.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a funny film because Max Shreck has his own supervillain plan about some sort of reverse power station that literally never goes anywhere because his attempts to cover it up and to elect his own mayor both go so disastrously awry. He's got to be one of the worst supervillains of all time.