• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rises or Forever?

• The Dark Knight Rises

Votes: 373 63.2%
  • Batman Forever

Votes: 217 36.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Rises.

But its closer than I'd like to admit.

Rises disappointed me when I first watched it and I got more disappointed the more I thought about it. There are some great moments and it went places I didn't expect. It just feels a little rushed and the explanation that Batman hasn't been seen since the end of the last movie causes all sorts of logic problems.

Forever can be fun but I think I'd struggle to sit through the whole thing these days.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've rewatched Rises a few times over the last few years and honestly it's kind of a slog.
I hate the length and pacing of that movie so much, that even some of the great parts aren't enough to save it for me.

It's honestly been over a decade that I've seen Forever, but it was one of those movies I watched over and over as a kid.

So I'd not only be more willing to watch Forever just because I haven't seen it in years, but I'd probably also just enjoy it more overall for its goofiness and cheese.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Rises is fine.

If I want goofy, campy Batman it will be the Adam West show way before Schumacher. I watched Forever a lot as a kid and feel no real nostalgia for it.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
Also, I would say that the Dark Knight was just an INCREDIBLE movie. I think the movie that followed that was destined to live in its shadow. Bane style.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I like Rises, and loved it when it came out, but it feels so much more "epic" than it needed to be.

If I just want a nice rewatch, I'd probably be more likely to put on the simple Batman Forever.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Rises even if the story sort of shits the bed coming off of TDK. The action sequences are still vastly superior to Forever.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've rewatched Rises a few times over the last few years and honestly it's kind of a slog.
I hate the length and pacing of that movie so much, that even some of the great parts aren't enough to save it for me.

It's honestly been over a decade that I've seen Forever, but it was one of those movies I watched over and over as a kid.

So I'd not only be more willing to watch Forever just because I haven't seen it in years, but I'd probably also just enjoy it more overall for its goofiness and cheese.
Forever was my favorite as a kid. I rewatched it recently for the first time in like 20 years. It does not hold up lol

Even to the extent you may already be thinking it doesn't hold up, it's worse than that.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I've come to forgive Rises' faults a lot more ... the ways in which it cheats narratively = also exactly how the comics / cartoons / etc cheat with Batman. (The way he gets in and out of NML in the comics isn't explained in any greater detail than the magical space-warp Bruce gets from the pit to Gotham in TDKR).

Bane is a lot of fun. Riddler is fun too, but Bane is way way more fun, and Selina/Catwoman is so fun.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The ending of Rises still gives me chills. Good stuff.

Batman Forever is good popcorn trash but that's about it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
TDKR is a bad movie on a number of fronts. At least Forever can be fun at times, if nothing else.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
Saw TDKR again about a month ago. And it aged very well, it's a very good movie. YES it has a lot of plotholes, but come on, is Batman. It's the best trilogy of the bats out there.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The worst part about the Robin suits in Forever and B&R is that both would look really great if not for the stupid nipples and over anatomized rubber suits. I kinda like the Nightwing suit with a cape as a "later Robin" outfit.

The live-action Titans on DCU probably has the best on-screen Robin suit for now.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fact that it's still relatively close shows how completely insane era is sometimes

giphy.gif

Rises has some issues in the final 3rd like the Talia segment and some of the single file line content, but it has way too many great moments, segments overall. Until Bruce rises out of the hole, it's an incredible movie. Then it falters here and there.

Oct 27, 2017
At least Forever was fun.

Rises is so fucking long and boring and pointless. I've seen Begins and TDK so many times I can't count. I've seen Rises twice. Once in the theatre and once after to make sure I felt the same.

TDKR is such a flat, lame movie. What a disappointment following TDK.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
I need to rewatch both since its been a while, but im genuinely surprised to see the results being as close as they are.

I remember Forever being shit so we'll see.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
forever>Rises

I think both are bad. I just REALLYYYY dont like Nolans batman films and particularly Rises. Its such a hard watch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying Forever is "fun," but I'm not sure how "completely obnoxious" is the same thing as fun. Forever is a complete mess of a film in so many ways. It simply doesn't work.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've watched both in the past month. Forever has always been a guilty pleasure and has a bit too much Carrey-isms but its more rewatchable on a popcorn level.

I thought TDKR was a snooze fest when it came out and still feel that way. Its really a slog to get through for the most part, and really had impossibly big shoes to fill coming off the Dark Knight.

On a related note, the further we are from the Nolan series the sillier Bales Batman voice comes off. It doesnt help that I've seen so many parodies of it now that I cant help but laugh.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Rises. And it's not close.

Does it have issues? Yeah. A disappointing ending to the trilogy? I can see that. Still way better better than Forever, which is basically the less "so bad it's good" Schumaker Batman flick, and that isn't a good thing. I can't imagine I'd ever be able to sit through Forever again.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I haven't seen Batman Forever since I saw it in the theater in the 90s. My memory might not be the best but I'm having a hard time figuring out how this is even a question.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Forever.

TDKR has exactly three good scenes: the opening plane hijacking, the fight with Bane under Mr. Wayne's precious armory and the stadium scene. That's it. I can't sit through TDKR.

Batman Forever is silly but it's never boring.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I know Batman and the cops fighting Bane's forces in a huge fist fight is stupid, but god damn it is it my kind of stupid! It's like a mosou game!

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I ever want to watch Rises again is just to see if it's as bad as I remember. With Forever there's at least the nostalgia factor.