• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Batman returns also had this scene.

The difference ain't THAT wide on how campy it is.

Yeah, but Batman Returns has a sincere, emotional core. The entire movie up to that point is so tragic that I still see this scene as way, way more sad than silly, even though, yes, a penguin funeral procession is inherently ridiculous. Forever is just... hollow. All the stupidity, none of the heart.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, revisiting it I found it very watchable too. It has the most comic accurate depiction of Batman in film, it has some captivating visuals, there are some cool sequences of action.

It's a solid movie.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has certainly aged a lot better than any other 90s Batman film. Yes, even the Burton ones.

Let's not get carried away. I'd say it's the most 90s Batman, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Batman and Returns feel more like 80s films to me (as Batman is 1989), and then then returns was still before the 90s were in full swing.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Batman forever is one of those movies that has been unfairly retroactively diminished because of its sequel. By itself it's fine and has a pretty good cast. But because Batman and Robin went so off the rails ever lumps the two together because they're so similar in the aesthetic.

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
Jones's version of Two-Face is too goofy for that character. I'm fine with Carey's Riddler buffoonery. There are some good ideas and scenes, like Bruce and repressed memories, and the glare he gives Harvey after surviving a gas explosion. Hate the film's intro with that deaf guard, "oh no! Boiling acid!!" The film is easily twice as good in quality compared to B&R. Twick or Tweet!

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Tommy Lee Jones is the worst part of that film. Jim Carrey's Riddler was pretty entertaining.

I'm sure that by most metrics Batman Returns is a better film but it's just so damn grim I can never bring myself to watch it---I'll stick with Batman and Batman Forever.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
They cut out some pretty key scenes, including one that concluded Batman's main subplot in the film. No idea why but I've seen versions that added them back in and it greatly improves the film. There is a disconnect between some of the extreme camp elements and the more Burton type scenes. If you toned the former down with slight tweaks (mainly removing some of the wacky extras, like "BATMAAAAN NYEEEAAAH" or "BOooOOooiling aciiiiid!") it would work better.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
Its the worst Batman movie. Kilmer is yawn inducing while Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones are obnoxiously annoying. Its just boring and the story is garbage.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It was okay, basically a step down in quality that went down much further with Batman and Robin. They should have focused more on the Riddler. Carrey was great in the role. Two Face, on the other hand, just sucked and was basically just the Joker with a coin. A waste of Tommy Lee Jones.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I just gave it another go. I like Nicole Kidman and Jim Carrey in it and that's about all it has going for it. You can actually tell Tommy Lee Jones hates being in his scenes with Carrey.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The biggest problem I have are jim carrey and tommy lee jones trying their damndest to be the better joker...but neither is the joker. Schumacher should have at least put the brakes on jones, for christ sake...

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel it's an entertaining movie that I enjoy.
Is it good? Not necessarily, but I roulette say it's bad. It's a serviceable Batman movie on the camp side of things.

And yes I agree that it is unfairly lumped together with Batman & Robin. That movie is just terrible. I'll appreciate out of context Freeze one liners, but yeah...

The biggest problem I have are jim carrey and tommy lee jones trying their damndest to be the better joker...but neither is the joker. Schumacher should have at least put the brakes on jones, for christ sake...
I don't disagree with this. Jones' Two-Face is definitely not how I view Harvey Dent.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Sega Genesis game was good too. It's a Mortal Kombat platformer; what's not to like?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The way that Two Face was written in the film was so poorly done, and just overall, an awful take on the character altogether.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, you're being generous. The movie is shit. Yeah, there some good beats sprinkled throughout but overall it's a shitty movie. Val was cool, Robin suit looked dope, and the OST was great. The intro was pretty damn solid as well.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I still enjoy Batman Forever. The story was dumb and Two-Face was awful. But Kilmer wasn't horrible, neither was O'Donnell. Plus Carey as Riddler makes the movie for me. Periodically I turn it on as background noise all for Carey.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly like it the most out of the first 4 batman flicks. It's tonally all over the place but honestly like was said before, is actually kind of close to the tone of pre-Frank Miller batman comics spliced with Adam West esque camp. Its a big sleazy colorful comic book come to life. Unquestionably flawed but ultimately I find it way more entertaining than the other 3.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Damn that part at 2:28 with them running along with the riff is kind of hard...

Last edited:

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Batman Forever walked a fine line between camp and grim-dark and mostly succeeded. I enjoy the movie. Batman and Robin is where they went overboard on the camp, IMO.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
People acting like Burton Batman movies weren't camp are just laughable. They are wonderful but they have loads of cheese.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I like it. It's not without its share of flaws of course, but Carrey's Riddler is fun and it's a very entertaining movie.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't believe it when Jim Carrey said Tommy told him that I cannot sanction your buffoonery line on set. Tommy seemed to be hamming it up so much in the movie. Like he seemed to enjoy the wackiness like Raul Julia in Street Fighter.