• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today marks 20 years since Batman Beyond premiered, which all together included 52 episodes, and one DTV movie (Return of the Joker). Originally conceived by WB as a kid friendly Batman cartoon, the creative team took what could have been a terrible idea and made it good. It introduced a teenage Batman (Terry McGinnis), and an aging Bruce Wayne.
Batman_Beyond_soundtrack.png

Terry McGinnis later appeared in the shows Static Shock and Justice League Unlimited, before getting an ongoing comicbook series in 2011.
The comics are mostly garbage.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Batman Beyond is low key the third best DCAU show behind BTAS and STAS. I liked this show a lot more than Justice League and JLU, honestly.

Terry is also the only Bruce replacement that I accept

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Such a great premise let down by a somewhat poor rogue's gallery (barring Inque) and middling monster of the week episodes. The best episodes were the ones that involved Bruce and his past.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
an old roommate left behind his unsealed Batman Beyond collectors boxset when he moved out. Still haven't opened it. Maybe I'll give it a watch this weekend for old times sake.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to think this was meant to be a kid's show. It got pretty dark and intense at times.

I dream of the day we get a cinematic adaptation of Beyond.

And damn the intro was cool.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cyberpunk Batman is such a fucking slam dunk that I truly cannot believe they haven't done a live action movie yet.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It was a good show, too bad it had to end. The point that Terry was created from Bruce DNA was a bit lame though.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Crazy to think this was meant to be a kid's show. It got pretty dark and intense at times.

I dream of the day we get a cinematic adaptation of Beyond.

The intro theme was EDGY but damn if it wasn't cool.

Kids show?? It premiere in primetime I remember coming home from work and watching it.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Also I dream of the day we get a cinematic adaptation of Beyond.
Dream casting time!!

Terry / Batman - Joe Keery (Stranger Things)
tumblr_inline_p0oczdO9yU1s11ctc_540.gif

Old Bruce - Michael Keaton (Batman, Birdman)
4A3bBWU.gif

Old Joker - Mark Hamill (Batman TAS, Star Wars)
source.gif

Derek Powers / Blight - David Tennant (Doctor Who, Jessica Jones)
giphy.gif

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The movie was great, the epilogue in JLU was great, the show itself is phenomenal. Heck, I still listen to the theme song on the reg. Second-best DC animated "thing" behind Batman: TAS.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
The movie was great, the epilogue in JLU was great, the show itself is phenomenal. Heck, I still listen to the theme song on the reg. Second-best DC animated "thing" behind Batman: TAS.
The JLU episode as a whole is pretty great but
Terry being retconned into Bruce's biological son
is probably one of the most unnecessary retcons ever

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the concept and the show. I'd love to get a nolanverse movie with old Christian Bale. With the aesthetic of altered carbon.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
When I first became aware of it i hated the idea of it, I felt it looked stupid as my kid brother would watch it, pfft why would they do this to Batman? Why is it in the future etc etc. So I only ever gave it a glance.

It was only years later when I was reading about it on wiki and rewatched it, I statrted to appreciate it.

It also deserves a bluray boxset

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GOAT cartoon opening.

Cyberpunk Batman is such a fucking slam dunk that I truly cannot believe they haven't done a live action movie yet.
Seriously. I could have even seen it if the DCCU was more of a success, since Batfleck was old and worn out it would have been easy to lead that into Beyond territory.

-Batman-Beyond-batman-the-animated-series-40967804-500-305.gif

GOAT Batman design.

FIGHT ME.
He knows what's up (even if the 3d adaptations have been pretty terrible).

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I love this series. And I keep thinking about this series for the last week or so. Might be time to give it a rewatch.

Also

TWENTY YEARS?!?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how this came out of WB demanding a series where Bruce teaches a new generation of Batmen in a school setting, which slowly got massaged into the surprisingly dark cartoon we got.

Oct 26, 2017
It was a good show, too bad it had to end. The point that Terry was created from Bruce DNA was a bit lame though.
For something so unnecessary and tacked on at least it was done well for the most part. Just like the character of Max!

Overall I love the show. Have all the seasons, and director's cut of the film on DVD. Darwyn Cooke doing the intro was always rad to me.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Miyagismile.gif

Loved it the first moment I heard the theme song and then the stories the feeling the look. Glad it was made and glad the character still is alive and well today in comic form.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
It's crazy how this came out of WB demanding a series where Bruce teaches a new generation of Batmen in a school setting, which slowly got massaged into the surprisingly dark cartoon we got.
Was that the pitch for it? I thought it was something like "Batman in High School", which is a stupid idea, and yet here we are, 20 years later talking about a cartoon that did Batman in High School with a cyberpunk twist and just made it work against all odds.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Was that the pitch for it? I thought it was something like "Batman in High School", which is a stupid idea, and yet here we are, 20 years later talking about a cartoon that did Batman in High School with a cyberpunk twist and just made it work against all odds.
It went through multiple phases. First Bruce Wayne in high school, then Bruce Wayne teaching high schoolers to be Batman.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Will Friedle's portrayal of Terry, really underrated VA I hope he's not hurting for work. Love this damn show so much, shit was hype. Loved the credits score for Return of the Joker.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hated it. It cheapened both Terry as a character and his relationship with Bruce.

The whole point is that it's Terry's choice and that he's his own man. His opportunity to make the whole "being Batman" thing work while still managing a stable and fulfilling home life. The episode even gives old Bruce some heartwarming stability in the end, as something of a crotchety Alfred for his Batman Jr.