• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

it's not perfect, but there's some cool stuff in this video.
I can't help but dream of a batman movie that moves on from that weirdo bruce Wayne

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best Batman cartoon. Wish we'd get a live action version. Now that I think about it, it my first experience with cyberpunk.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Batman beyond suffered from weaker villains by comparison but God if the concept isn't cool. And also Terry was a great batman.

I would kill for someone to take another crack at it.

Feb 1, 2018
i cant believe Beyond hasnt gotten some kind of live action treatment yet. I mean cyberpunk batman?? come on. It's every WB producer's wet dream

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Great show but the villains aren't nearly as good. Almost all of the best episodes use or reference classic villains. So does the movie.

Spider-Man 2099 has the same problem. Spider-Man and Batman have such great rogue galleries, they are long shadows to stand in

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My favorite Batman. I'm so happy Injustice 1/2 and Batman Arkham 1/2/3 still have a Beyond costume to use.

This series needs a season 4 and a live action movie! Would be fucking awesome to see a young Batman in Cyberpunk Gotham.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Batman Beyond. You just reminded me to pick up the blu rays next time they go on sale.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Batman beyond suffered from weaker villains by comparison but God if the concept isn't cool. And also Terry was a great batman.

I would kill for someone to take another crack at it.

Batman Beyond has an excellent first season with an overarching arc with Powers. Unfortunately, the next two seasons become episodic and a little more highschool-ish. There's still some pretty great episodes and it's usually a fun watch, but unlike B:TAS the villains weren't compelling enough to support it's episodic structure.

Return of the Joker is pretty awesome though.

I loved Batman Beyond. You just reminded me to pick up the blu rays next time they go on sale.

It's on HBO max now if you have that.

Star Wild eo

Jul 22, 2020
I'm really surprised the Arrowverse never attempted to do a Batman Beyond show. I mean, it would have been ripe for the taking as a lot of the limitations set on the Batman franchise wouldn't really be in place as BB mostly had original villains and characters.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm concerned Warner Bros would be afraid to make a live action film as cyberpunk seems more miss than hit. Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel all did rather poorly.

They expect Batman to make 1 billion +

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Batman Beyond has an excellent first season with an overarching arc with Powers. Unfortunately, the next two seasons become episodic and a little more highschool-ish. There's still some pretty great episodes and it's usually a fun watch, but unlike B:TAS the villains weren't compelling enough to support it's episodic structure.

Return of the Joker is pretty awesome though.

It's on HBO max now if you have that.
Nailed it
Most of his rogues were great but only appeared 3 times. Like Blight vanished after the first season

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nailed it
Most of his rogues were great but only appeared 3 times. Like Blight vanished after the first season

You can tell WB was also trying to make the show more kid friendly post season 1 with the inclusion of Max, with more stories in his highschool instead of corporate espionage.

It's telling that in Return of the Joker when the producers had free reign, Max is entirely absent. The writers have said they never liked her much.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm concerned Warner Bros would be afraid to make a live action film as cyberpunk seems more miss than hit. Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel all did rather poorly.

They expect Batman to make 1 billion +

I don't think Batman Beyond 1 would be expected to make a billion dollars. But if it gets traction and Batman Beyond 2 makes a billion dollars...then they have two billion dollar Batman characters.

It's also one of the only ways making two Batman trilogies at once makes sense to me.

wtl420

Feb 16, 2019
Great video, I never really thought about the behind the scenes of what caused this show to be created and it's kinda great to hear it basically got created out of unreasonable external demands and the team making the best out of what they had to work with.

Now that I think of it I don't even think I've ever watched all of the previous Batman cartoons or the Superman one but Batman Beyond is definitely one I greatly enjoy. It's just such a great way to make something new that seems approachable while keeping everything that was built before it in a respectable way.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I'm really surprised the Arrowverse never attempted to do a Batman Beyond show. I mean, it would have been ripe for the taking as a lot of the limitations set on the Batman franchise wouldn't really be in place as BB mostly had original villains and characters.

The best they could've done was one of those one off crossover episodes. Making BB would've required a truly hilarious amount of CG for outdoor scenes and very unique indoor sets. Maybe you can do it when the sound stages they use to make The Mandalorian become more prevalent but in today's word you couldn't make that show on a Arrowverse budget.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the New Adventures of Batman any good?

Yes, though I'm sure fans would disagree.

The storytelling is a little different in regards to the original B:TAS (it's more fantastical whereas B:TAS strayed away from that) but the episodes are still quality. The redesigns are generally good barring a few like Joker, and the animation is more fluid.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yes, though I'm sure fans would disagree.

The storytelling is a little different in regards to the original B:TAS (it's more fantastical whereas B:TAS strayed away from that) but the episodes are still quality. The redesigns are generally good barring a few like Joker, and the animation is more fluid.
Also characterization is somewhat...eh

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The Justice League are nothing if they don't survive the Near Apocalypse of Whenever

I'm torn on BB's premise

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
You can tell WB was also trying to make the show more kid friendly post season 1 with the inclusion of Max, with more stories in his highschool instead of corporate espionage.

It's telling that in Return of the Joker when the producers had free reign, Max is entirely absent. The writers have said they never liked her much.

Half the writers hated her but the others liked her like Alan Burnett.

Great show but the villains aren't nearly as good. Almost all of the best episodes use or reference classic villains. So does the movie.

Spider-Man 2099 has the same problem. Spider-Man and Batman have such great rogue galleries, they are long shadows to stand in

He had some really good villains that were twist on classic Batman villain dynamics. Like Melanie/Ten was a really cool take on the dating Catwoman dynamic. Too bad she wasn't fully utilized to her potential but like most people said it happened to most of his villains.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching it now. Like everyone has said, the rogue's gallery is terrible. It's a testament to the strength of the writers and the art team that it's so consistently entertaining in spite of that.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've worked with hectic schedules on several productions in the past, but developing a 13-episode animated series (without piggybacking on existing material) and to pump out 20-30 page scripts, production artwork, the whole she-bang in less than a year sounds like crazy talk.

Wouldn't I give to watch a creator roundtable to hear the stories behind this series production.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
This show will always have a special place in my heart. I re-watched, probably for the 100th time, when the blu-rays came out. It actually got me into Batman (Bruce Wayne) more than anything.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great show that I wished got a live action/video game. Heck a revisit or continuation would be sweet too.

Oct 25, 2017
i cant believe Beyond hasnt gotten some kind of live action treatment yet. I mean cyberpunk batman?? come on. It's every WB producer's wet dream
They were going to and it was very close to happening in 2001.
Script and everything was done, WB paused for some adjustments in the meantime someone pitched them an adaptation "Batman: Year One" which had a few iterations then Nolan came in and got absolute control and made Begins.

WB was desperate after Batman & Robin, the Year One pitch sounded safer and cheaper so they jumped on that the second a legitimate pitch came in.

The Waistcoat

Nov 8, 2017
The Terry/Bruce dynamics were a breath of fresh air for the story and I think added something that was never going to be achieved with a new Robin. Even the small things like Bruce making some food for Terry was such an interesting change from how he had been shown before.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker are better than all the Batman live action movies.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think think they could feature a Batman, even if it wasn't Bruce.