• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is better?

• Spider-Verse

Votes: 283 78.6%
  • Batman Beyond

Votes: 90 25.0%

• Total voters

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I don't know that a decades old cel animated TV vs a CG animated movie from two years ago really makes sense as a comparison, but only one of these has William H. Macy turning into the world's saddest blob monster.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing shows to movies lol? Either way, Batman Beyond, and I loved Spider-Verse. There's just more happening in Batman.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Batman Beyond is a great animated series. Into The Spider-Verse is a great animated film.

They're both so different I think the comparison is really strange.

I still voted Spider-Verse lol

I'd love to see Batman Beyond get that treatment though. That world is very, very fascinating visually, and I imagine an animated feature film with the level of stylish design and strong characterization like Spider-Verse would be fantastic.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
"It's a school night boys and girls. I'm gonna have to call your folks."

I watched Return of the Joker SO many fucking times.

It's Spider-Verse though. Come on.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Them's fightin' words. You can say Spider-Verse is better but I'll contest them not being the same league
I like Batman Beyond. It isn't even remotely on the same level. Over multiple seasons Batman Beyond doesn't even wade into saying anything as interesting or meaningful as Spiderverse. Batman Beyond is fun, pulpy sci-fi Shlock. It isn't comparable. Is it well scripted and fun? Yeah. It's got some good episodes and adventures. But the comparison is unfair to Batman Beyond.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
As others have said this is a weird comparison. Batman Beyond is a good animated superhero show while spiderman is a film that combines beautiful mind bending animation and its writing to transcend what people thought superhero media could be.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I friggin love Batman Beyond.

But yeah, it's Spider-Verse.
That movie was simply wonderful in every way.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Spiderverse, come on.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of love Batman Beyond is getting recently. I mean, I liked the show, but I could've sworn people were a bit more mixed on it like a decade ago.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I much prefer Batman Beyond, but I think Spider-verse is probably better made. I just vibe with Beyond much better.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
People are gonna go with Spiderverse and I'll say this, most of the younger demographic probably have never even seen BB. Personally, even though unfair comparison, I'll go with BB, it's one of my favorite superhero franchises. Incredible storytelling imo.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
This a very strange comparison, especially considering the majority of people here and voting wont have even seen Batman Beyond given that its 20 years old. Meanwhile Spider-verse is a fairly new very well received movie.

For me personally its Batman, no other kids cartoon has ever replicated the dark nature of that show.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very apples and oranges scenarios. neither is really comparable beyond being good superhero legacy stories.

i did feel like the future aspect of batman beyond aged terribly though but that solid core idea is really good and he had his own interesting rogue gallery on the show, but spider-verse is so well written and has the better superheroes in the spotlight anyway so ill give it to spider-verse in this completely nonsensical match-up

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Batman beyond is leagues above and completely refreshed an already excellent source material

you can tell who were too young to experience it when it came out

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beyond is a fun kids show but good luck getting most people to ever watch it, let alone enjoy it.

Spider-Verse blows minds across all demographics

Batman beyond is leagues above and completely refreshed an already excellent source material

you can tell who were too young to experience it when it came out
I was born in 85 and watched Beyond as it aired.

It's good but it's not even as good as Batman TAS so it doesn't really matter

Them's fightin' words. You can say Spider-Verse is better but I'll contest them not being the same league
From an art direction, animation, technology, film-making and scripting perspective they are not in the same league.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird comparison.
Agreed. I don't know how you compare a film to tv series and the two aren't really alike beyond the "someone else wearing the mask" thing. If they were both the same format, released in a similar time frame, or reaching for the same types of tone etc then maybe a comparison would make sense but here I'm just not seeing it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spider verse isn't even set in the far future, never you mind one is a series and the other is a movie, and that both set out to do very different things.

What is being compared here?

This seems more like a popularity contest.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Beyond is a fun kids show but good luck getting most people to ever watch it, let alone enjoy it.

Spider-Verse blows minds across all demographics

I was born in 85 and watched Beyond as it aired.

It's good but it's not even as good as Batman TAS so it doesn't really matter

From an art direction, animation, technology, film-making and scripting perspective they are not in the same league.
Bruh, I'm sure most folks would enjoy it

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, I'm sure most folks would enjoy it

im talking outside the Era demographic

anecdotally speaking, I know people who watched Spider-Verse and loved it who have zero interest in comic book media, or even find comic book movies stupid

Batman Beyond would not have changed their minds

edit: whoops, hit post a bit too fast there

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

anecdotally speaking, I know people who watched Spider-Verse and loved it who have zero interest in comic book media, or even find comic book movies stupid

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure, I think Beyond could change their minds

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I mean... it's kind of hard to compare a movie to an entire series. Spider-Verse is a fantastic movie but if only one could exist then I would much rather have all of Batman Beyond. Judging by the replies in here, I think some people need to rewatch Batman Beyond because that's some of the best Batman material out there. The Beyond universe is criminally underutilized. Spider-Verse is a very entertaining movie with a great cast but Batman Beyond is an entire expansion of the Batman universe with an identity all its own. So many fantastic characters and storylines. Kinda curious how many people in here have actually seen Beyond given that it's two decades old now.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Not very fair, given one is a TV show and the other is a concise movie. In this case, its Spider-Verse and not even close. An actually interesting poll with be Return of the Joker vs Spider-Verse.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Love Batman Beyond, was a really fun show and didn't get enough love during it's run.

But Spiderverse is like, the best comic to motion translation we've ever gotten. It wasn't just a good comic book movie, but a fantastic movie in it's own right that is an instant classic.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody stating that Batman Beyond is a kids show has either never seen it or was too young to even grasp what it was that they were watching. Some of the villains had some haunting ass deaths.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ok?

They are both trying to do very different things in the first place, that doesn't mean ones better than the other, just that one has more mass appeal than the other.

And reading this OP mad me trip solid balls

Beyond is NOTHING like base Spider-man. It's plotting was tight and expanded the Gotham into new and unpleasant ways. Gotham felt more hostile here than any other incarnation.

Anybody stating that Batman Beyond is a kids show has either never seen it or was too young to even grasp what it was that they were watching. Some of the villains had some haunting ass deaths.

Indeed, Beyond goes places that Spider man very seldom went to every freakin day

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok?

They are both trying to do very different things in the first place, that doesn't mean ones better than the other, just that one has more mass appeal than the other.

And reading this OP mad me trip solid balls

Beyond is NOTHING like base Spider-man. It's plotting was tight and expanded the Gotham into new and unpleasant ways. Gotham felt more hostile here than any other incarnation.

Indeed, Beyond goes places that Spider man very seldom went to every freakin day
Hey, do me a favor and re-quote my post where i corrected my mistakes.

as far as "doesn't mean one's better than the other" - isn't that the whole point of this thread?

That's funny.

you're funny.

It's absolutely a kids show. That doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it. I say the same about Batman TAS, which is the better show, incidentally.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Verse could easily be considered the best animated superhero movie/TV Show of all time, and maybe even the best superhero movie as well.

Don't take that as me bashing Beyond either. Spider-Verse is that good.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Really odd comparison.
Spiderverse's animation is really good.
Batman Beyond is better on all other areas. Makes sense though, it has far more time to flesh out its world and characters.

Spiderverse would have benefited a ton from being a show. Miles was the only character to get enough of an arc and the multiverse thing was underutilized, it felt more like a pilot with some quickly wrapped up storylines to make it a complete movie.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I found the opening 30 minutes of Spiderverses animation too jarring. Didn't get into the storyline much either.

Batman Beyond every day of the week!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's not really a fair comparison because Batman Beyond had way more room to breathe and tell stories. I'm going with Batman Beyond but it's not a fair fight here.
This, really.

I loved SV, but BB was always tops for me, even over TAS. It was shorter than TAS but told a better story, its highs were just as high, its lows weren't as low and its mean quality was much better overall as a result. Plus it had the best DCAU movie with ROTJ.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-verse has the better coming of age story. Comparison is a little unfair due to one being a movie and the other is a TV show. I liked Batman Beyond, but Spider-verse just beats it.

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really a fair comparison because Batman Beyond had way more room to breathe and tell stories. I'm going with Batman Beyond but it's not a fair fight here.
Even with that, BB REALLY dropped the ball when JLU decided to connect everything to Bruce Wayne. It was the kind of assault that took me out of the series and made me never want to revisit it. Terry McGinnis should've been his own man.

Oct 28, 2017
Can OP seriously not go for a while without another marvel vs dc thread? Do you need these to validate your personal opinion even if the comparison makes little sense?