• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game is better in your opinion?

• Arkham Origins

Votes: 229 42.9%
  • Arkham Knight

Votes: 305 57.1%

• Total voters

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Knight has the best gameplay of all 4 games, just super fun to play. The Batmobile honestly controls very well even if the tank combat got tedious. It also still looks absolutely gorgeous. I do have a lot of issues with the story and structure of the game though.

Origins is also great, has the best story and character moments of the whole series. The level in the hotel is probably my favorite of the series. Combat feels a bit off if you're coming from City but you'll get used to it. The Mr. Freeze DLC is also the best DLC in the series.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Origins has the best story, hands down, but they messed up the timing on combat, and I HATED the progression system;

Knight had a terribad story and the bat-tank, but great overall gameplay.

It's a tough choice, but I gotta go with Knight.

City was peak Arkham game, though.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Knight is better, despite the flaws. I think Arkham Origins rarely rises above being OK, but Knight is great at times.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Origins is a harmless prequel, AK is a mediocre closure to the trilogy, shitty batmobile sections, totally not jason todd we swear guise & they couldn't help themselves & brought Joker back, so why kill him in AC?
I think the PC version being shit & so many people focusing on that was somewhat of a saving grace for AK, people didn't focus so much on the bad aspects of the actual game at launch.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Origins is my favorite even though it's the least polished

Not gonna say I didn't have a fun time with Knight though

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Origins is far too flawed on a technical perspective (glitchy gadgets, poorly designed grapnel spots around the city, free roam quests not triggering properly) to be considered better than any of the Rocksteady games IMO, but it's still worth playing.

Arkham Knight for all its flaws at least is finished.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
They are both very good games but Knight is the ultimate Batman experience. On another level. But that's only natural, it was developed later and you can tell it had a much bigger budget. But still I prefer Knight.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Narratively I probably like Origins the best out of all of them, it had the least dumb ending out of all of them, and I liked the designs the best. Arkham Knight combat is better, but it also had the tank, so I'm going Origins, even though I think both are great.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Knight is one of my favorite games ever, aside from the female representation on it, the game is fantastic in all fronts. It's such a monumental achievement from a narrative and presentation perspective.
Origins was meh at the time and very buggy on my X360.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Knight is the best Batman game IMO. Origins is good. I'd put it between Asylum and City.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
The Rocksteady Batman games clearly have a love for BTAS but I feel like they totally miss the whole vibe of it. They have some of the voice actors and that's it. Of course, maybe they never wanted to emulate it but do their own take, but I feel their take sucks. And Knight happens to be the height of their nonsense.

Origin is a lot closer to being a BTAS-like. From Batman to the villains it's a way better more nuanced take on the world. I recognize that there's more to Origins than just the vibe of Batman. It has a lot of technical problems and crash bugs and shit. But I still can't help but love Origins.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I've played all the Arkham games at least 2 times. They are fun games, all of them. Origins was great the first time through. The story was interesting and I liked how they evolved the game mechanics a bit from the first 2 games. But on the second play through (after I played Knight), I was not as impressed. This Villains and their battles held up great, but the story felt strangely paced and ended sooner than I remembered it did. I also was not feeling the level design as much. Something about them felt obtuse and confusing.

With Knight, I actually enjoyed the batmobile. And I came to the game well after everyone complained about it, so my expectations were lower. But even on my replay I still loved it. The story was probably the least the of series, but I liked the pacing of it and the environmental storytelling was great. Traversing around Gotham was maybe the most fun in the whole series.

So I voted for Knight, although I appreciate all the games a lot. I'll definitely play through them all again. Maybe my views will change some more.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
It's been awhile since I've played Origins, but probably Knight. But I really like Origins too, never got why some people drag it so much even with its issues.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Arkham Asylum and Arkham Knight only, and Arkham Knight was a huge step down from Asylum.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Arkham Knight is much, much better. I played them back to back last year and it was kinda jarring the quality difference.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Knight is ruined by the fucking awful tank boss battles, just the most frustrating garbage. Who the hell thought this stealth tank nonsense was in any way fun as you just get one shotted and start over? Those vehicle boss battles at the end were frustrating in a way very few games have been for me. Because of that, I have never replayed through the game again since launch.

1. Arkham City
2. Arkham Asylum
3. Origins
4. Knight

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Knights its a better more put together video game on a technical level. You can feel how much better it is to actually play than its predecessors. That said origins. Despite its clunklyness its plot and writing is more engaging its aesthetic with its bad guys is top notch and it doesn't force a batmobile type thing. I play knight and enjoy it to bits but then get to portions of the game that I could just do without wholesale. This isn't mentioning knights issue with its PC being crap, and then even when they patched it to be less bad its still weird shit like raw ass text png file link code being displayed instead of mission locations for dlc. Or costumes being locked to one version of the ps4 version. And people being so meh on knight in general that they can't be bothered to even mod them in.

JohnDamien

Oct 29, 2017
This is a pretty hard question to answer. Because Knight is very complicated to rate, in my opinion. When Knight is good, it is so damn good, best in the series. But when Knight is bad, it is really really bad and the worse of the series. I really hate the Batmobile in the game and how nearly half of the game the Batmobile is in use. What i really love is the story, especially the last few hours. I love how Gotham is portrayed and how stunning the game sill looks. Origin, on the other hand, is from start to finish a really good game. Without really getting above the other games, but also not below in terms of quality. That is why i chosed Origins above Knight.

If i have to put them in a ranklist:

01. Arkham Asylum
02. Arkham City
03. Arkham Origins
04. Arkham Knight

I still have to play Arkham Origins Blackgate.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a disc copy of Origins for ÂŁ6 from cex. Installed and messed around with it on Series X.

Supports Auto HDR and Quick Resume. Great!

Oct 28, 2017
Not even a contest. Origins without question. It's the only Arkham game with a good story, and has by far the best bosses in the series. And Knight was a bloated mess. The batmobile was awful. Origins is so underrated.

Nov 7, 2019
Origins and I honestly feel they are not close.

Best bosses in the series with Origins, worst in the series with Knight.

Also a better story in Origins.

Polish goes to Knight though. Game looks and feels incredible.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Knight is wayyyyy better than Origins. Origins has a better story, but Knight excels in almost every other way. I love Origins, but people tend to give its underdog vibe a bit too much credit.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
Just bought a disc copy of Origins for ÂŁ6 from cex. Installed and messed around with it on Series X.

Supports Auto HDR and Quick Resume. Great!

heh, I ordered me a copy online last week after hearing about this. Series X really has become a great way to play so many titles that I've missed out on. As far as the topic goes, I can only speak of Arkham Knight right now from playing it. But that game lost my interest hard with the use of the Batmobile. I'm more intrigued by Origins alone because the lack of it in that game.

Last edited:

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Knight has the issues stated but Origins is a fundamentally worse game on a mechanical level than any of the Rocksteady Batman's. The combat doesn't quite feel as snappy coming from the other games and getting around the world is pretty annoying. I think it's mostly due to what seems like some arbitrary non-passable areas and a severe lack of grapple placement points compared to City/Knight. It just feels like the game doesn't recognize a lot of button presses in a very agitating way. Otherwise, the story and everything else is pretty top-notch.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Origins was surprisingly a much better game.

Outside of visuals, I can't think of any area where Knight isn't inferior to the other Arkham games. It's easily in my Top 5 biggest disappointments of the last generation.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I much prefer the story, plot points, villains, voice acting, and boss battles of origins to the crappy Jason Todd and weird edgy version of scarecrow and boring bat mobile sections of Knight

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Both games are good, but Knight is naturally a more polished and ambitious product. I don't hate the Batmobile like most people, so it's easy for me to classify Arkham Knight as the ultimate Batman game. However, I think anyone would agree that Origins recreates boss battles much better.

Gamemakers Toolkit did a video on the Arkham games years ago where he went into how the trilogy fell victim to escalation creep. Arkham Knight reached the excess point to where the pacing went to shit. And that's not getting into Rocksteady being overly married to the Batmobile lol

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Both are good games that are perhaps a bit underrated by the gaming community in my opinion. Origins has the best boss fights in the series, but the different cast makes the game feel a bit off. Arkham Knight has a lot of cool ideas, and the Bat Mobile itself is a lot of fun. I think the game uses the tank way too much, and it's not as fun as it should be, but besides that, the story is really good, and the gameplay is still a blast. I give it to Knight.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Origins has the best story and cutscene direction in the series. But the glitches and the progression system prevent it from GOAT status. AK may have been a mess of a story, but the gameplay was the best in the series. A true culmination of everything Rocksteady had done.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Origins. It's just more of the same (City), but has better boss fights. I think it got way more flack for being unoriginal than it deserved at the time.

Knight just sucks - too much batmobile, jason todd regurgitation, etc.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Origins. It's just more of the same (City)
This is a weird sentiment to me all these years later. Like if you played the games back to back, sure but I believe City would be considered the inferior game if it released after Origins. On the topic of the thread, mechanically Knight is better but Origins is my pick due to the atmosphere, story and voice acting.

OP
OP

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This is a weird sentiment to me all these years later. Like if you played the games back to back, sure but I believe City would be considered the inferior game if it released after Origins. On the topic of the thread, mechanically Knight is better but Origins is my pick due to the atmosphere, story and voice acting.
Nah, City had a level of polish that Origins never even got in the ballpark of. Hell, the combat system in Origins, despite being mostly a copy/paste job from City, actually feels watered down compared to its predecessor. The gliding feels a lot worse, too.

Origins actually comes close to feeling like a fangame made in the City engine at times, only the boss fights and set piece moments make it feel like more than that.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017

I think Origins suffers from Mega Man syndrome, specifically the classic titles after MM2. 3-10 are probably all better, but they're less iconic. City was such a huge blockbuster at the time, and I do think its story is actually a lot better than Origins'. It's hard to compete with all that to the masses if you're not bringing anything new to the table.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Can I just start with Arkham Knight and expect to have a reasonably good time with it as a standalone game, or should I try to force myself through Asylym and City (and maybe Origins) first before proceeding with Knight? My backlog is longer than many books at this point, and although I have all the Arkham games on whatever platforms, I fear if I try to tackle them all from the beginning I won't get to AK before 2026, if at all:)

I've heard some people say if you have to pick one play Asylum, but AK is just sitting so conveniently on my PS5 SSD and to ease some of the backlog burden skipping straight to the latest entry is kinda tempting..

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Knight by far, Origins was way too buggy and unstable for me at the time not to mention the combat felt off somewhat, good game but easily the worst of the series imo

Oct 27, 2017
The real trilogy is Origins to City.

Knight suffered from the Batmobile but even without it it was narratively treading water, except for Ivy's great arc.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Did we play the same game? I think Knight is the better game, but it could have done with at least 50% less tank battles.

The game didn't need any more tank battles for sure, but I never dreaded them playing through the story. It has been many years since I last played the game and maybe just the good memories stick out more to me.