• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
761611.jpg

There's a lot of media and comics that often show the conflict of Batman and Superman, but how about times where Batman and Supes are genuinely being friends?

This scene in Injustice where Bats figures out Lois is pregnant
c57db6344dcbf705788dcf8ec0670915b7a6f84e.jpg

Or this scene in JLU, where Superman is about disbanded the league, Green Arrow gives a big hero speech, everyone claps, but it's Batman's approval that matters most to Supes. True bromance.

3c5d16dc18f203f55bd8d34f1d625d35.jpg

Post some stuff of these dudes being pals.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I do like them being best friends. I think it works very well in the comics, and I'd love for it to transition into future live action films.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can say what you want, writers can write what they want, any amount of comics, movies, and televisions can show what they want, but the guy who has an emergency plan that includes being able to kill you "just in case" isn't really anybody's best friend. That's just facts.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about BvS, 30 years reading comics I never noticed their moms were both called Martha. 🤷‍♂️

May 24, 2019
Tom King wrote the best Bat and Supes friendship story.

XaWjv9q.jpg
BCmFydN.jpg
V7jpzI2.jpg

You can't leave out THAT page (Bruce/Selina and Clark/Lois are going on a double date to a 'dress up as a superhero' carnival night dressed in each other's costumes, if that wasn't clear)
fQRW2Hx.jpg

Also love this one with Lois and Selina meeting beforehand.
nVxL6fe.jpg

This is the trade you want, y'all.

Amazon.com: Batman Vol. 5: Rules of Engagement (Rebirth) (Batman: Dc Universe Rebirth, 5): 9781401277314: King, Tom, Jones, Joëlle: Books

Amazon.com: Batman Vol. 5: Rules of Engagement (Rebirth) (Batman: Dc Universe Rebirth, 5): 9781401277314: King, Tom, Jones, Joëlle: Books

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
fucking LOVE this story

best two issue comic in history god damn

I just don't understand what the fuck happened with Tom King. For the first few years of his career as a comic book writer, he had the midas touch. Everything he wrote was solid gold. And he's still apparently doing fantastic work on Miracleman. But his batman comics have completely jumped the shark, and he also penned an extremely shitty Bendis-tier event comic that undid all the good-will DC: Rebirth earned early on.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
nah according to the last titans book, batman and superman are against friends being on a team together. therefore, batman and supes can't be friends.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with them starting off confrontational, because it's a good way to establish their own ignorance and juxtaposition, but it's been decades and there's no reason these two aren't the tightest of bros.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand what the fuck happened with Tom King. For the first few years of his career as a comic book writer, he had the midas touch. Everything he wrote was solid gold. And he's still apparently doing fantastic work on Miracleman. But his batman comics have completely jumped the shark, and he also penned an extremely shitty Bendis-tier event comic that undid all the good-will DC: Rebirth earned early on.

some people aren't good with certain characters

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the part in the Injustice comic, not in that frame, when Superman confirms it, and batman smiles.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
BvS was an exercise in futility. We should've gotten a World's Finest movie instead, where the two work together the entire movie, and are already bros.

Tom King writes the same general theme over and over again: the real effects of a neverending war, dealing with PTSD, and the impossibility of keeping a normal life from falling apart in the wake of that PTSD. Turns out, that doesn't work for every character, and every story.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never bought the idea that they were really good friends. Their team up comics seem more commercially driven then having two guys from totally different kinds of worlds being BFF

I see them more as strong co-workers. They respect each other and work together well, but I don't think they'd hang out on weekends.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair he was under a lot of editorial duress. Like I think he was straight up forced to use Booster Gold, Harley Quinn and Wally West as his leads, and I know he wanted to write about a mental health retreat for superheroes instead of a murder mystery.

Oct 26, 2017
Tom King wrote the best Bat and Supes friendship story.

XaWjv9q.jpg
BCmFydN.jpg
V7jpzI2.jpg
You can't leave out THAT page (Bruce/Selina and Clark/Lois are going on a double date to a 'dress up as a superhero' carnival night dressed in each other's costumes, if that wasn't clear)
fQRW2Hx.jpg

Also love this one with Lois and Selina meeting beforehand.
nVxL6fe.jpg

This is the trade you want, y'all.

Lol these are pretty good.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I never bought the idea that they were really good friends. Their team up comics seem more commercially driven then having two guys from totally different kinds of worlds being BFF

I see them more as strong co-workers. They respect each other and work together well, but I don't think they'd hang out on weekends.

I get that vibe more from Spider-Man and Wolverine when Marvel teams them up. Sometimes you'll see Marvel try to present them as best buddies, but it never really feels right to me.

With Batman and Superman, I think they do need Wonder Woman thrown in to really work. They start off as begrudging allies, but Batman and Superman do work well together. I really do think they need Diana there to keep them in line.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
That was my best friend and you just killed him!

And something something hand and glove.

World's Finest was cool, BvS could have lifted ideas from there.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The Justice League cartoons portrayed it best. They grew up as complete opposites but their common goal for the good of humanity made them respect each other & develop an everlastingly friendship.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

In a post-DC interview, Didio outright said that he regretted some aspects of Rebirth and thought it went too far in attempting to bring things to how they were before, which were problematic and led to the reboot in the first place.That easily explains Heroes in Crisis. Undermining Rebirth was editorial's overall goal. Although, yeah, King's Batman somehow just didn't work even on its own.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad someone already posted the King issue, it's also the only time where his need to show another character as a shorts of mirror of Batman work.

Batman-Superman-Double-Date.jpg

dude really loves that device.