• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like what these rumors might mean for The Righteous Gemstones.

giphy.gif

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Scoob getting cancelled absolutely baffles me. I can get (though hate) that Batgirl was in a weird spot where they didn't want to spend more to get it finished, but if Scoob was nearly done how the hell wouldn't it have made it's budget back for $40-80 mil? Like, it's a kids movie with an iconic franchise character, it would have made decent money worldwide + toys and later TV ad sales.
Max Exclusive.

Likely it was the last MAX movie.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Catching up to this and what a fucking disaster and apparently HBO Max might get affected?

I feel bad for the crew that have been working hard on the films only for them to be axed for tax breaks. Really not feeling optimistic for the future of WBD. I swear if Blue Beatle and Static get canceled, I'm gonna be absolutely pissed!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Max Exclusive.

Likely it was the last MAX movie.

I guess I'm saying that if Batgirl wasn't intended for theaters it might not look good in them (according to their logic), and it's budget may not be recouped, but they could have thrown Scoob to theaters instead of MAX and broken even. Even if it looks worse than the original, kids are less discerning about that sort of thing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
what the hell are these rumors about hbo max getting killed off

where's the sense in that

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
Actually, they will likely help out AEW.
I meant as a streaming service HBO Max having way more subscribers would likely get more new eyes on it than put the old shows/PPV on Discover+.
I agree that overall direction of them cutting money on scripted shows and more focus and non-scripted/sports is benefit to AEW.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
They've been rumbling since the takeover but it being a possible reality is an absolutely baffling shitshow of a business decision.
We always heard that they would get folded in somehow, but folding HBO Max INTO Discovery Plus of all things is comically crazy lmao.

It's such a cliche of mergers where one company comes out on top (somehow).

Like, Zaszlav is exactly who you'd think he'd be lmao. Apparently

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
what the hell are these rumors about hbo max getting killed off

where's the sense in that
Insecurity, vested interests, and the film production side pushing back against what HBO Max has come to represent. After a certain point in the foodchain it's not about what's best for the company or for customers anymore, it's about egos and perceptions each new boss has. Warner is terrible at this in particular.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
What sense does it make to kill max and put it on discovery? Doesn't max have many more users? Why not HBO + Discovery?
People aren't seeing this for what it is. This isn't simply 'dumb'. This is a ruthless business decision with the sole intention of strengthening the Discovery brand by any means necessary and reduce whatever costs they have with WB.

Now to answer your question on the why: they aren't planning to commit to actually true 'merge' with WB. They are acting as their temporary parent company, until WB gets shopped around… again. This is about strengthening the Discovery brand, all they care about WB is how they can temporally make it profitable to them as an asset. And I say fuck them. And I do think that everything is in danger and the sole reason that AT&T didn't sell to a bigger company was because making that deal work wouldn't be approved.

In short, I think it will get astronomically worse before it gets better.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
What sense does it make to kill max and put it on discovery? Doesn't max have many more users? Why not HBO + Discovery?
Cost is the probable reason here. HBO max has way more users but the cost of having all those shows and movies exceed the returns. Its way cheaper to run reality tv junk. You don't have to have fancy actors, writers and cgi to make it work.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
If this is true it must of been pretty bad. Personally i would of bought a ticket or checked it out on Max to see Keaton back in the suit alone.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I meant as a streaming service HBO Max having way more subscribers would likely get more new eyes on it than put the old shows/PPV on Discover+.
I agree that overall direction of them cutting money on scripted shows and more focus and non-scripted/sports is benefit to AEW.
Supposedly, Discovery is much bigger INTL insanely .

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
People aren't seeing this for what it is. This isn't simply 'dumb'. This is a ruthless business decision with the sole intention of strengthening the Discovery brand by any means necessary and reduce whatever costs they have with WB.

Now to answer your question on the why: they aren't planning to commit to actually true 'merge' with WB. They are acting as their temporary parent company, until WB gets shopped around… again. This is about strengthening the Discovery brand, all they care about WB is how they can temporally make it profitable to them as an asset. And I say fuck them. And I do think that everything is in danger and the sole reason that AT&T didn't sell to a bigger company was because making that deal work wouldn't be approved.

In short, I think it will get astronomically worse before it gets better.

Hit the nail on the head there.

This shows they have no faith or support in WB/HBO, and can chose to sell them off or kill them off in the future.
Discovery+ will remain and all you'd notice was a missing HBO icon inside it.

WB will 100% be sold again.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Supposedly, Discovery is much bigger INTL insanely .
The problem with international reach is that Warner is a complete mess internationally. There is no central harmonisation of technology and platforms at all. They operate on the completely outdated model of cable networks treating each regional office as their own thing to fend for themselves. HBO Max is an America thing. In the rest of the world each region struggles with either some outdated form of HBO Go, or another third party app that piggybacks on Warner content because of licensing deals. Completely nonsensical.

Oct 25, 2017
That photo set a real bad first impression, because the suit looks great on set
FJapjLRWYAIgrxe.jpg
It got taken down now but the set video of the stuntdouble jumping from the motorcycle over a barricade and cop car made it look so good aesthetically and functionally.
I hate the design in the comics but the stuff from the set was winning me over.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
TheWrap is painting it more as WBD just not wanting to do HBO Max releases anymore. It even specifies that they want to work with the same crew again in the future so it's not an indication of the quality

which makes you wonder why they wouldn't just find a spot on their theatrical calendar for it

I call bullshit. You don't cancel/not release a completed film then make another project with the same creative team. It's just trying to save face.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Cost is the probable reason here. HBO max has way more users but the cost of having all those shows and movies exceed the returns. Its way cheaper to run reality tv junk. You don't have to have fancy actors, writers and cgi to make it work.
It does not but okay. HBO max added something like 4 billion in revenue for each of Q4 2021 and Q1 2022.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get that but the HBO max brand is stranger than discovery plus right? Just cancel all that (sadly) and keep max

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
If 50% of max customers unsubscribe with the switch to discovery+
That's an annualized loss of $5,391,648,000 in revenue based on previous ARPU metrics of 11.58 per month.

Not accounting for opportunity cost of lower conversions for customers not yet max subscribers

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Man the hit takes in here. Just lol.

Only rumor that is worrying is HBO max scripted stuff being cancelled.

People freaking out about HBO going into discovery plus are over reacting.

HBO max is a dumb name and has been so since the beginning. It going into the discovery app is nothing as the HBO name will stay for premium stuff as it should have always been. They'll probably rename the service wb-discovery+ or something dumb like that.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
To look on the bright side, they blew all that money helping a budding Scottish movie industry. Thanks WB ❤️

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is fucking gross and I'm not afraid to explicitly call out the fact that this never would have happened with a male-led movie.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Man the hit takes in here. Just lol.

Only rumor that is worrying is HBO max scripted stuff being cancelled.

People freaking out about HBO going into discovery plus are over reacting.

HBO max is a dumb name and has been so since the beginning. It going into the discovery app is nothing as the HBO name will stay for premium stuff as it should have always been. They'll probably rename the service wb-discovery+ or something dumb like that.
Eh, getting rid of max scripted content means now you are limited in scripted content by the number of days and hours for prime time content so it's a substantial reduction in content which lowers the value of the sub. Who cares if the hbo brand continues for network tv, it's less than half the max base that even has the channel through cable.
That's not taking into consideration Zaslav now has the whitest and most male exec team in media right now.
That's not taking into consideration that the movie that just got canned has a woman POC as lead and directed by two non-white men.
That's taking into account a ton of previous suspicious or bad business decisions made by Zaslav ahead of this.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Feb 16, 2022
So I guess they're banking on Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam to relaunch their DC movies slate. It wouldn't surprise me if Dwayne wanting to do exactly that also factors into the decision to cut off the branches like this.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
HBO max dying is actually so implausible for my tiny brain that it's starting to hurt thinking about it. Just what-why-how and HUH??? These rumors are so insane they sound made up.