• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful. It'll likely just end up at HBO proper. Supposedly this executive team was very high on Reeves. If anyone has close to a blank check to do whatever they want at Warner Bros right now, it might be Reeves and Reeves alone.
James Wan. He's made them endless stacks of cash between the Conjuring universe and o er a billion alone with Aquaman. They even let him make Malignant out of it, so they'll let him do anything considering Aquaman 2 will probably print money like the first.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful. It'll likely just end up at HBO proper. Supposedly this executive team was very high on Reeves. If anyone has close to a blank check to do whatever they want at Warner Bros right now, it might be Reeves and Reeves alone.

Eh, if Zazlav is looking to save money then something like Penguin, which will clearly be very expensive, would be a likely candidate for the chopping block.

Unless it's already rolling cameras I don't have confidence in most of the announced Max series as making it to air.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Wow. 21 pages. Era are y'all alright?

Oh what? Oh I get it now. The fuck they doing?
Well it's not everyday a 100 million dollar film almost finished gets canned, in fact, this is pretty much the first time. And then another movie was cancelled that was finished.

then there are rumors about HBO Max getting axed. With all the moves Discovery are making killing HBO Max exclusive shows lately, people are worried. They have also ended pretty much all the DC tv shows with just a few exceptions. So a lot of conversation going on here, not just about Batgirl.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
James Wan. He's made them endless stacks of cash between the Conjuring universe and o er a billion alone with Aquaman. They even let him make Malignant out of it, so they'll let him do anything considering Aquaman 2 will probably print money like the first.

True.
And I don't think any of the Conjuring-verse films flopped, so they're a solid bet for them probably.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Like how is this supposed to work?

Every WB-centered Q&A at every convention and publicity tour is going to be filled with questions and angry reactions about this decision. There's going to be #ReleaseBatgirl stuff all over Twitter. This shit isn't going to just disappear. It's going to poison the well for all WB marketing for years.
Nah, by this time next year this won't be nearly as talked as it is right now, probably even forgotten by most of the people talking about it now. Other big releases and situations like The Flash will take way more space in DC conversations.

It is a damn shame that they didn't release it but they knew that they were not going to be hurt by it at all.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
How reliable is this insider? Haven't we had several insider provide wrong info? but for this case two different sources stating similar things might make it more credible than usual. And this case, HBO max is basically fucked. I guess we can't have nice things for too long. Would probably cancel after Westworld ends it's season.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
There goes any hope of getting any movie that's not Batman or Superman in the future. DC has so many hero's yet we will see the same crap forever.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's a bunch of Max originals that have been sitting in development hell since HBO Max's creation like Circe

deadline.com

‘Circe’ Fantasy Drama From Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver Based On Novel Gets HBO Max Series Order

Streamer HBO Max has given an 8-episode straight-to-series order to Circe, a drama series adaptation of Madeline Miller’s bestseller of the same name.

Oh wow, I love that book and had no idea this was even a thing.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If Max goes away…I wonder if the deal with my carrier would just switch to HBO. Still, why reverse this hard after how far they've come?

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Wow. 21 pages. Era are y'all alright?

Oh what? Oh I get it now. The fuck they doing?

You don't even have to care about anything here specifically - Batgirl, DC, comic book movies in general, HBO as a whole - to kind of appreciate how massive this story is in the industry. This is not something that happens every day, and Batgirl is going to forever be some mythical "what if?" story because of this.

A lot of movies go through development hell and never come close to seeing the light of day. But it's very unusual for a movie this expensive to actually finish principal photography, have the cast start marketing it, and then trash the entire thing. It's just not something you see.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't realize there was this type of energy for Shag and Scoob.

Eh, Scooby-Doo is a classic character/franchise that has had a current TV show and/or movie for basically as long as it's been around. Yeah, Scoob! was a bad Scooby-Doo movie that was actually a bad Blue Falcon movie (and yet somehow had a decent take on Dick Dastardy, also not a Scooby character). So while people weren't necessarily excited for the sequel to Scoob!, I'm certainly gonna miss seeing something new from the property.

(And after all this I don't have great hopes for the franchise, or anything from WB/CN/HB, moving forward)

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Who watches Discovery channels these days? I think a while ago I watched it for a bit and it was all really bad reality TV. I remember 10-20 years ago they had so many great shows. So sad. Now they are infecting HBO and WB.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
So are even successful HBO Max originals like Peacemaker and Harley Quinn on the chopping block or will they just become HBO channel shows?

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/animationonmax/status/1554591375898906630?s=21&t=Xkr8CFd4wlycO0uNOvheEQ

That's another $40 mil, essentially complete, production, flushed down the drain. I can't imagine HBO Max is long for this world.

Jeez. Batgirl could have been as much as $90 mil and now this $40 mil project too.

I'm not feeling good about HBO Max's future if they are willing to just cancel and have completed projects locked away in the vault, never to be seen.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea there was a project in the works. Must've been awful. Gotham Knights looks like trash too. What's going on.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow crazy, if those HBO max rumors come true, i'm dipping. This is crazy
What rumors? Was this discussed before in the thread?
edit: I just saw at least from a few pages ago... if that's true they're really screwing over HBO period much less what ever would be left of "hbo max"

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Eh, Scooby-Doo is a classic character/franchise that has had a current TV show and/or movie for basically as long as it's been around. Yeah, Scoob! was a bad Scooby-Doo movie that was actually a bad Blue Falcon movie (and yet somehow had a decent take on Dick Dastardy, also not a Scooby character). So while people weren't necessarily excited for the sequel to Scoob!, I'm certainly gonna miss seeing something new from the property.

(And after all this I don't have great hopes for the franchise, or anything from WB/CN/HB, moving forward)

They need to hand the keys to James Gunn and let him make a Scooby-Doo: Reunion

Oct 25, 2017
You don't try to "can and tax write off" any movies. There's a reason this is unprecedented. And they can easily swallow a critical disaster because they've already done so, and it hasn't impacted productions like The Batman. Nobody says the latter is shit because the first Suicide Squad was shit.

Is it likely that Batgirl is the greatest movie ever made? No. But it makes far more sense than anything if we take the leaks and reports at face value: a mid-tier budget production like Batgirl just doesn't fit into what they want to focus on post-merger, where it's an all-or-nothing proposition where either something is purely streaming or otherwise a major theatrical release, not some nebulous thing in the middle.

I think we're just getting into semantics here. I get and agree with what you're saying about it being in a weird spot being a HBO max movie with nearly a theatrical budget but not the production values you would expect. And the new management wanting different things from Max. But I still think you don't get to the point you're making that decision with a movie about a popular character that's essentially done unless it came out pretty bad.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy about the movie. About the hbo rumours I don't care. I mean it's a shame but other streamers will pick up the content like apple and whatnot. Which I'm fine with. But it's a damn shame what theyre doing with properties they own.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
So it was the WB that messed this whole deal up by giving the keys to Discovery? How incompetent can the CEO be?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Zaslav is a disaster. I knew when I read up on his style that he would be crap.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Imagine if all of these happened in the space of like a year:

- Batwoman cancelled
- Legends of Tomorrow cancelled
- The Flash ends with S9
- Naomi cancelled
- Titans cancelled / ends with S4
- Doom Patrol cancelled / ends with S4
- Pennyworth cancelled / ends with S3
- Stargirl cancelled / ends with S3
- Superman & Lois cancelled / ends with S3
- Peacemaker ends with S2
- Gotham Knights (TV show) cancelled after first season
- Green Lantern TV show production ended
- Batgirl cancelled
- Blue Beetle cancelled
- Flash movie cancelled
- Young Justice ended
- Harley Quinn ended

That'd be just such a huge reduction in DC content. I think there's a very obvious argument that there was too much of it and some of it was awful and really needed to have been cancelled years ago, but everything there has its fans, and the biggest DC fans will be watching or looking forward to the bulk of that list, and if all (or most) of it goes away in such a short space of time there'll be very little trust left in that fanbase afterwards.

Tearing it all down for a reboot or maybe even a sale. Even something like The Batman 2 isnt confirmed yet

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Poor Brendan, Hollywood just refuses to give the man a chance.

How I imagine Zaslav right now:
its-about-sending-a-message-not-about-money.gif

..to the IRS.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Scoob getting cancelled absolutely baffles me. I can get (though hate) that Batgirl was in a weird spot where they didn't want to spend more to get it finished, but if Scoob was nearly done how the hell wouldn't it have made it's budget back for $40-80 mil? Like, it's a kids movie with an iconic franchise character, it would have made decent money worldwide + toys and later TV ad sales.

So are even successful HBO Max originals like Peacemaker and Harley Quinn on the chopping block or will they just become HBO channel shows?

Peacemaker is probably safe thanks to Gunn, I fear for Harley Quinn, though.