• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
You're the first post I recall reading to state this. Reading impressions here on Era is what got me to give it a shot.

Maybe it isn't me then! lol
The game is still fun (Unless you go for 100%, what a fucking chore that was) but it's just way inferior to most of the Igavanias. Especially the Sorrow games and SotN.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
As a few noted, it's feels very fun to play, but as far as metroidvania goes, especially content-wise, it's quite lacking. There's little to no exploration in the game, none at all whatsoever on the main path, it's extremely linear. It's very short, not even half a dozen hours to 100%. Map is also rather uninspired and uninteresting, it's just a big rectangle with every pixel filled in with a room and you have the map, one big solid block. It also just very easy, overly so. It's a fun romp, but don't expect much from this game, most other metroidvania offer quite a bit more than this one does, but for the cheap price it's still fun to play
Does it actually have leveling, equipment to swap out and different weapons? (The things that should make a Metroidvania and Metroidvania, but too often they're just Metroid-likes)
It does, decent number of different weapon types you can equip, some much better than others

Last edited:

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
As a few noted, it's feels very fun to play, but as far as metroidvania goes, especially content-wise, it's quite lacking. There's little to no exploration in the game, none at all whatsoever on the main path, it's extremely linear. It's very short, not even half a dozen hours to 100%. Map is also rather uninspired and uninteresting, it's just a big rectangle with every pixel filled in with a room and you have the map, one big solid block. It also just very easy, overly so. It's a fun romp, but don't expect much from this game, most other metroidvania offer quite a bit more than this one does, but for the cheap price it's still fun to play
So it's just like Dread?

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Nothing wrong with that!

I bought the Lodoss War Blu-ray set this past year. I watched the OVAs for the first time (they were good, not amazing IMO) but didn't dive into the TV series yet. Is it worth my time?

A few people already said, but yeah, the TV series just isn't as good. And I love the OVA, but I acknowledge part of that is just it being the nexus of D&D and anime right as my interest in both was first forming in the 90s.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Been playing this one and off on game pass. Really enjoyable and yes, they've got the Alucard run animation and dodge on lock.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've been contemplating getting the physical release. I've never experienced any of the various forms of the franchise.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
Got it on game pass and I'm currently on the last stage. If you're into metroidvanias you'll definitely appreciate it however having not watched the anime and/or source material the characters mean almost nothing to you since there's very little information revealed about them in the game it basically presupposes you already know of them from other sources.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The game is ok, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I thought Bloodstained was far better as a SotN followup.

MegaMetroid

Alt-Account
Banned
May 16, 2021
Well switch owners have been waiting for sotn forever so maybe this will be decent alternative.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It really doesn't play that much like SotN. It actually improves on SotN (and Iga's other Metroidvanias) in some respects, though, and I think it's worth playing to see how the genre could be more refined. I just think Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth lacks in replayability.

By the way, last time I checked, the Xbox version had really bad screen tearing when the screen scrolled, so you might want to wait for an update if you're on Xbox and don't have a TV with VRR.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably light on actual Lodoss War story, is it?

It takes place in a dream world, so there isn't really any story or character continuity. You basically just get a bunch of cameos, but not much in the way of plot.

Actually it is exactly the same as their previous game, Touhou Luna Nights, now that I think about it.

Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for the threads and the heads up. Always had to resist port-begging whenever this game came up previously, and now it's mine.

I have been fiending for a game to try and capture the vibe of SotN again, and this is the closest I've ever seen.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Divisive opinions I guess. Kinda funny compared them to what a world record holding SOTN speed runner thinks about it. (He's flat out playing through the game so spoiler sensitive people beware.)

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I've been enjoying this one on Game Pass. The SotN comparison is pretty valid so far, I'm only on the second boss fight though. Looking forward to completing it on my Christmas break.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's a good game; I picked it up on Steam after seeing it at SGDQ this year. Structurally it's somewhat flat; you get the only real "powers" pretty early on and it's mostly just hitting different colored switches after that. The art and animation are stellar.

Deleted member 25888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was disappointing based on how good it could have been. If it were twice as long and the mechanics were further explored beyond what little they did in terms of more enemies and bosses it could have been a 10/10 for me. As it was it almost felt like an extended demo/proof of concept rather than a fully polished/finished game.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The music in the trailer isnt good. Not near castlevania quality

The enemies art feels to drawn instead of beign pixelart. It looks for sure NOT better than bloodstained

The gameplay looks fine. Seems that the feedback when attacking something is done right.