• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just figured out a few weeks ago how to properly roll up my sleeves. I always would roll them in and they would fall down easily. If you roll them up by turning the cuff out it sticks much better. It really blew my mind when someone showed me that.

Thought this was off-topic.

Last edited:

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
Controling the seeds in Grow Home. Though it was all random, made the near end-game way harder than it had to!

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Did know how to use weapons in Yakuza Kiwami.

It wasn't until Owl(Father) that I learned you could hold guard to lessen your posture in Sekiro.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm playing the first Nier now and only hours in did I realize you can fit two Words (charms) on each weapon/spell. I was wondering why I couldn't use some of them I found and then I finally saw you could move to the right in the menu and even pick a time-saving 'equip best words' option.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So many aspects to XB2's combat system. I'm sure I'm still clueless about plenty of things too.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I went an entire generation (Dreamcast to Gamecube) before I learned how to chain attacks in Phantasy Star Online. You have to time the button presses to attack in a "combo."

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Most recently, I didn't understand how to break monster shields or why that's useful in Three Houses until my second playthrough. Total gamechanger lmao.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Ys: Oath in Felghana was just hard but it all came to a head during the Ice Dragon Fight where I was regularly doing 1 -10 damage per hit and couldn't take more than two hits. I'd spend 30 minutes whittling his HP down only to die because of a falling icicle and in my rage I decided to just start upgrading my gear.

Went back to town, upgraded the gear, went back to the exact same situation with the boss, and was confused. So I open up the menu and it turned out I wasn't equipping my gear for 2/3 of the game. JFC. I stomped it easily afterwards.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
My brother didn't realize you could run until halfway through the game.
That's me - but in the third playtrough.

Also, I noted half-way in Red Steel 2 that you can shoot the red hinges of some boxes to open them (this was even shown in the beginning level, but for some motive I forgot it)

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
In Monster Hunter World I only recently found out that you can hold the loot button to pick things up faster and that you can actually skip the kill cam at the end. After 150+ hours.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
My brother didn't realize you could run until halfway through the game.

I wondered why he was having so much of a more difficult time in his playthrough than I did.
A friend of mine played the ENTIRE game without realizing you could run. Jaw dropped when he told me.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I misread the Ocarina of Time manual and thought it said that the Fairy Ocarina disappeared once you used it, so I never played any songs on it and couldn't figure out how to progress.

(The manual actually said it disappeared once you got the Ocarina of Time.)

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
not me but my brother didn't know you could upgrade yourself in the first God of War until after he beat the minotaur boss in Pandora's temple. He got really good at the game and when he game himself upgrades, he breezed through it

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Didnt find out about sekiro's ingame map until ng+
Sure, its just something visual but it looks great and helps contextualize the areas
There's a what now? Had no idea and I played through the game three times.

Some others that come to mind are parrying in Lords of Shadow. Didn't know about it in my first playthrough, It makes the game way easier. And in Final Fantasy VIII, there's a whole list of things I didn't really grasp, but most prominent was probably refining items from cards, which you can then refine into magic.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
There's a what now? Had no idea and I played through the game three times.
Yeah you can see from the sculptor's idols by pressing Y
at first it's obscured but then it slowly reveals areas as you visit them
maxresdefault.jpg

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe has lots of abilities that can be charged by holding down the key, and I played for waaay too long(around a thousand hours probably?) without knowing that. Felt pretty dumb when I charged Ember's Fireball for the first time.
Same for me except it was Hydroid's tentacle ability. I was always wondering how you were supposed to farm items off of it with such limited range lol

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
Better than not knowing you could dodge too lol

Holy crap! This was almost my exact same experience and I came into this thread to post this exact thing! I wasn't 95 hours in, but I had defeated three of the divine beasts and probably had about.... oh.... 40 hours into the game when I decided to go clean up some missed shrines. I know the exact shrine she is talking about in this video because I wanted to go around and start cleaning up my missed shrines and found the one that I somehow missed near Kakariko.

My face was identical to hers when I found this stuff out. Sure glad I found out before I ended up fighting Ganon, that's for sure. But the entire first 40 hours I spent in this game, I was completely reliant on shields to stay alive.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The full extent of Xenoblade 2's element combo system. I was able to chain element breaks like crazy once I figured it out, like I was fighting with one hand tied behind my back the entire time.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The first time I played Kingdom Hearts 2 I never bothered with the Drive Forms, thinking they just got in the way of my intense button mashing action

I once took my PS2 to a university event and challenged people to beat Sephiroth with my save file. They were utterly flabbergasted they couldn't high jump or glide. Needless to say I played it properly from then on.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt know you could boost vehicles in death stranding until 30 or so hours in

This was my exact first thought. I was tooting around and suddenly thought what happrlena if you press L3. Suddenly went oh - I'm an idiot.

Although Sam then said 'This is just like Ride with Norman Reedus' which, given his lack of pretty obvious historical knowledge was a bit of a headscratcher.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Would've had a much easier time in my first Resi2 run if I figured out that Red herbs work with Green, as well as Blue.

neopokekun

Apr 19, 2019
Back in the day the first Mega Man game I played was Mega Man 1. We had borrowed the game, just the cartridge and no manual, and ulike it's sequels Mega Man 1 doesn't mention you getting the weapon from a defeated robot master so I had no idea you did. It wasn't untill I had gotten good enough to defeat five of them using buster only that I paused the game and wondered what all those bars were for. Game suddenly go a lot easier.

Oct 28, 2017
It took me 3 playthroughs in Devil May Cry 5 to figure out you can do a well timed grab on enemies before hits with Nero, so they won't get knocked away by the sword attack.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I didn't know you could run in Deus Ex Mankind Divided by pressing the least expected button used for running in FP perspective. Or any perspective.

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
That's phenomenal.

Did you use the sprint-shout thing at all to get across the map quicker? I did that whenever I was overloaded with dragon bones, and refused to drop any, insisting instead on going home and storing them.
I just jogged. It made saber cats and trolls terrifying though.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
It took me 3 playthroughs in Devil May Cry 5 to figure out you can do a well timed grab on enemies before hits with Nero, so they won't get knocked away by the sword attack.
Tbf that ability is only unlocked after beating the game for the first time, there's also no tutorial for it and you only find out about it by looking at the movelist

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember what game it was, but there was a game where I didn't realize there was a weapon wheel until the end I always switched through my weapons one by one.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the campaign in Warcraft 2 without knowing you could click on the minimap to jump to that part of the map. I literally scrolled aaaaaalll the way across the map, every single time.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Recently replayed the first Witcher and didn't realise until near the end that the red circles at enemies' feet are their health bars.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize you could fast travel in Tales of Vesperia until the second time I played the game, on the Definitive Edition.

It's not the greatest fast travel ever, but you spend so much time going back and forth between places to complete side quests in that game that it helps a lot.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Holy crap! This was almost my exact same experience and I came into this thread to post this exact thing! I wasn't 95 hours in, but I had defeated three of the divine beasts and probably had about.... oh.... 40 hours into the game when I decided to go clean up some missed shrines. I know the exact shrine she is talking about in this video because I wanted to go around and start cleaning up my missed shrines and found the one that I somehow missed near Kakariko.

My face was identical to hers when I found this stuff out. Sure glad I found out before I ended up fighting Ganon, that's for sure. But the entire first 40 hours I spent in this game, I was completely reliant on shields to stay alive.
But how do you not find that out? Shield surfing I get it since it requires a specific set of buttons under certain circumstances, but side dodging and backflipping it's just jumping while locked on an enemy. How do you NOT find that out?

lordkosc

Nov 10, 2017
PA
Deep Rock Galactic, how to use the pick axe power attack, which I know I selected upgrades for. I figured it out maybe 40 hours into the game, lol.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I beat the campaign in Warcraft 2 without knowing you could click on the minimap to jump to that part of the map. I literally scrolled aaaaaalll the way across the map, every single time.
Oh, man.

You reminded me that I beat WarCraft 2 without using the right click once.

God, I was a lost cause before the Internet.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
How to effectively use the free sword swinging techniques in metal gear rising. It wasn't until the final boss battle when you have to understand it to beat the second phase of the senator.