• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I'm using image editing software and look for the option to make sure the thing I'm trying to do is perfectly placed in the center of the image, only to realize that this apparently isn't a thing, and you just have to painstakingly do it by eye.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Talking about cards: are cards that work as both credit and debit in the same card common in other countries?

Oct 27, 2017
Google has tons of these. Among them:

-not being able to easily delete unused rows or columns in Google Sheets

and, the worst,

-not being able to indent a paragraph in Google Docs on iOS.

The second one is so utterly ridiculous that, despite listing it here, I still refuse to believe it is actually true. I expect someone to correct me here and tell me everything will be ok.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
A good package manager in Windows. Linux has been doing this for over a decade and the closest thing to an official competitor is... the Windows store? Which is rivaled by the 2015 Ubuntu software center in usability?

RAM as a buffer for writing to drives (mostly SSDs). Veeery niche use case, but I just learned about DRAMless SSDs and how they lose tons of performance because there's no DRAM to act as a buffer. I bought more RAM to fix it but that's not how the systems work.

Notifications in general. I want about 1% of the notifications and emails I get. Google should step in but they make money on half this crap anyway.

A standardization of the "command line logic" + "GUI hook" app design paradigm. Apps like NZBget and Transmission can stay high performance with hundreds of queued actions, because the app itself is not tied to the user interface. I've seen other programs crash when you ask them to do too much, but that never happens here. Worst that would happen is the GUI crashes and you have to restart it, while the central logic continues undisturbed.

Containers. Massive gains in maintainability and security, minimal performance loss. Yet it's currently the domain of professionals and nerds.

Performance. Every time I use an app like Foobar2000 on a library of 20,000+ songs, I wonder what every other app's excuse is for choking on a map of a city or a New York Times article.

---

Tangent: Everything that very smart people invented in 1980-2005, that got thrown out the window when capitalism got a hold of it. I'm talking about RSS, email, offline apps, IRC, XMPP, etc. Far too many technologies have had solutions for decades that either used to work, or would work, but there's more money in making bespoke garbage for your walled garden. Every time Twitter is used in place of RSS i die a little.

Excellent post

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Not tech related, but foot pedal hand sanitizer dispensers outside stores / super markets. Who wants to put their hand on a dispenser that hundreds of other people have touched just to get some hand sanitizer that probably won't even get rid of all the germs and stuff you picked up from touching it?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Notepad++ keeps edits to unsaved files (and new files you never saved) even after you close the program, only discarding them if you close their tab. Generally quite useful. Strangely the PowerShell ISE supports that... but only if the application does not shut down properly. Otherwise it will demand that you save or discard each tab before quitting. But if it's force-killed? All the tabs are still there, even unsaved ones.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Also accidentally closing all tabs on Google Chrome. I believe in both Firefox and the old Internet Explorer there was always an extra dialogue box that asked if you actually wanted to close the whole damn window with all the tabs. I have no idea why I would need to download an extra extension for this to happen, it seems so basic.

If this happens you can just go to history and reopen all tabs with a single click (two form the main screen).

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Whenever I'm using image editing software and look for the option to make sure the thing I'm trying to do is perfectly placed in the center of the image, only to realize that this apparently isn't a thing, and you just have to painstakingly do it by eye.
In photoshop at least since ver.7.0 there are guides that let you know if the image is centered or aligned with ither elements of your composition.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Performance. Every time I use an app like Foobar2000 on a library of 20,000+ songs, I wonder what every other app's excuse is for choking on a map of a city or a New York Times article.

So by New York Times article i'm guessing you mean a browser. By and large this is not the fault of the browser, except for some specific use cases like mobile browsers which tend to be a little worse off than their desktop versions, and might suffer in specific and weird ways. But by and large this is a problem with the web application being bloated with third party scripts or general bad practices. Lots of these big content websites struggle to get 60fps rendering. It's one of the reasons to use ad/tracking blockers, they often give you a noticeable jump in performance.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Proper, resolution-independent UI scaling on desktop OSes. I have several people at work who have bad eyesight, and my options are to search online for the biggest 720p monitor I can find and run it at native resolution, or get a 1080p monitor and lower the resolution from native (which blurs the shit out of the text).

I could increase the text size but that wouldn't increase everything. Plus, some apps we use at work go all fuckety and unusable if the text scaling isn't set to 100%.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Also accidentally closing all tabs on Google Chrome. I believe in both Firefox and the old Internet Explorer there was always an extra dialogue box that asked if you actually wanted to close the whole damn window with all the tabs. I have no idea why I would need to download an extra extension for this to happen, it seems so basic.

How can you misclick, lol. Reopen chrome and press cmd/control + shift + T

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A headset for work-from-home. So many colleagues shouting into their shitty laptop mics, TV noise blaring in the background. It could tolerate it early one, but nine months later I'm done with those people.

I make a fortune by selling headsets overpriced currently. Same with webcams. The market is still not healthy at all (at least in Europe).

Example the shitty C270 Logitech I bought for 12€ p.p. and resell for 50€ which is still cheaper than most other sellers. Headsets are even way worse in that regard.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Operating systems remembering your window positions or which display they're assigned to after reboot. Both Windows and macOS are supposed to do it, or something like it, but more than half the time it doesn't work. And it's such a basic tenet of day to day computer use.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
You can on iOS from the quick menu when you swipe up. Just hold on the Bluetooth icon and you can drop the connections to added devices. Could be way smoother though. I don't they showed this of properly when it was added so a lot of people have missed it.

Thanks - didn't know about that. It's certainly a step in the right direction from one software vendor. I'm still firmly stood on my soapbox though.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Car Play, or just decent UI in cars in general. I bought a new Toyota RAV4 a couple years ago and despite spending $30k on a car, the entertainment system feels like a mid-2000s Garmin. It's remarkably awful. Nothing about Teslas as cars are particularly interesting to me, but I kinda want one just because of the forward-thinking driver interface.
This x1000. I have a 2016 Rav4 and it even advertised a great stock entertainment system, but it was worse than the aftermarket systems that I looked at 5+ years before. It also has just abysmal glares too when the sun comes in. The USB feature is the worst of it all - it has to re-index your music every time you turn your car off/on. So if you have over, say, 10GB of songs, that's about 2 or 3 minutes before you can even play music since it's spending all that time re-indexing everything.

My warranty just ended so I'm absolutely replacing it with something better.

Oct 27, 2017
1) Headphone jack on phones
2) Optical drive slot on ATX cases

That 2nd one was kind of bewildering to me. I haven't built a pc since maybe 2016 and recently my brother in law asked me to build him a new desktop. So, thinking that a case should have an optical drive slot by default, I just bought a nice Lian Li case, with a bare DVDRW drive and a Windows 10 install disc. Unpack the case and there is nowhere to put an optical drive. Never even thought to check for this with a brand new standard ATX case. So instead of returning all of the disc related stuff since I was on a time crunch, I just bought a USB Optical enclosure instead.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
You have to hand write your resume in Japan. No computer, no printer, no photocopying. Oh, you want to apply for 20+ jobs? Better get to work!

It's not my experience but what I've heard from some Japanese friends and youtube.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Talking about cards: are cards that work as both credit and debit in the same card common in other countries?

That's the norm in Brazil, it is weird when you get a card that is debit only, for example. You can always only have debit enabled on a card, but if you ever enable credit you dont need a new card for that.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
1) Headphone jack on phones
2) Optical drive slot on ATX cases

That 2nd one was kind of bewildering to me. I haven't built a pc since maybe 2016 and recently my brother in law asked me to build him a new desktop. So, thinking that a case should have an optical drive slot by default, I just bought a nice Lian Li case, with a bare DVDRW drive and a Windows 10 install disc. Unpack the case and there is nowhere to put an optical drive. Never even thought to check for this with a brand new standard ATX case. So instead of returning all of the disc related stuff since I was on a time crunch, I just bought a USB Optical enclosure instead.

Optical media is quickly dying on PC, which is why case manufacturers are dropping it. Even laptops are starting to drop support for them (my ThinkPad P50 doesn't have a drive bay, for example).

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
718DQbXdPnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Auto-dimming rear view mirrors in cars. I've used them since 2007. I get why car companies make this an upsell accessory, because that's where they increase their margins, but it really seems like something that should be a default safety feature. If you drive a higher-riding truck or SUV, you probably don't see the need, but if you're in a normal ride height car, when 3/4 of the vehicles on the road are trucks and SUVs, it's great not to be blinded anytime you drive at night.

Last edited:

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
This. It's annyoing when I want to quickly switch my headset between my tablet, phone and PC. I have to dig around in the settings to tell one device to stop listening to it, or turn off Bluetooth completely.
Have you seen the Bluetooth spec...did you know that some companies are not even adhering to it? Yeah, that's when it becomes a mess especially when you bring multipoint into the equation and then it becomes even a bigger problem. Devices go into different modes and some didn't even stay in connectable state because of battery concerns so there is that. Connection management should definitely be better, I agree, the Bluetooth spec has a bunch of limitations unfortunately.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
For phone:
No universal notification disabler. You have to disable notifications for each app.

For car:
No way to see car battery life in dashboard. No way to see tire air pressure in per tire in dashboard.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I meant accidentally closing all tabs. There have been countless times I accidentally click on the top right corner for whatever reason and it closes the whole window with like 10 tabs. I've edited my post for clarity.

Press Cmd + Shift + T to bring back the closed window. (Ctrl + Shift + T on Windows). Works the same for closed tabs.