• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
The lack of easily scalable UI elements (in WIndows). I really don't need the tab/url bar of my browser oder the Task bar of Windows to be 30 pixels tall each, when I only have 1080 pixels to work with. Neither do I need my icons to be as large as what the developers deem to be "tiny".

Windows Explorer not consistently being able to remember the size of the preview pane and sometimes randomly deciding to make it 90% the width of the window. Or rather the lack of allowing me, the user, to clearly define the minimum/ a fixed width of the actual contents browser that is actually consistent.

Windows/Android lacking the ability remap keys/buttons on the keyboard/device.

Lack of many synching options. I wish Windows would actually have a useful sync feature that also installed and configured several programs by itself and would allow me to finely chose what I want to sync, and not just in broad terms as is now. Also goes for Android, though that's somewhat better.

Last edited:

Ender

Oct 29, 2017
Quick management of bluetooth connections. I have a bluetooth speaker in my living room and a different one in my kitchen. Why do I have to go into the goddanm settings of my iphone or Windows laptop just to switch between them? Give me a goddamn quick menu of all available devices, allowing me to toggle them on or off.

You can on iOS from the quick menu when you swipe up. Just hold on the Bluetooth icon and you can drop the connections to added devices. Could be way smoother though. I don't they showed this of properly when it was added so a lot of people have missed it.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Somehow car manufacturers have gone backwards when Auto Headlight switches became standardized. People will forget to leave Auto Headlight on and drive at night with their headlights/tail lights off. I blame car manufacturers that leave the dash instrument cluster lights always on.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming. I'd like to plug my camera and console directly into my computer with usb and then just press go live on a website.

Edit: or even just plug a camera and mic into a console and stream directly from there.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Car Play, or just decent UI in cars in general. I bought a new Toyota RAV4 a couple years ago and despite spending $30k on a car, the entertainment system feels like a mid-2000s Garmin. It's remarkably awful. Nothing about Teslas as cars are particularly interesting to me, but I kinda want one just because of the forward-thinking driver interface.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
NFC bluetooth pairing in Cars.

With all the "You need to be stopped so you can pair your device to the car" making it a pain if a friend wants to pair and play music, why not just have an NFC pad on the dash where someone can tap their phone to pair it?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The ability to fucking turn off Outlooks dumb as fuck "feature" where it helpfully informs you if it's found a new event (like a delivery) in the email you just clicked. A) the panel is so hilariously oversized that it leaves me maybe 40mm of actual email beneath it. B) I don't want to use the fucking feature so let me disable it c) I don't even use outlook calendar!

Android auto constantly making you stop interacting with it for safety while SOMEONE ELSE IS DRIVING THE CAR.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I meant accidentally closing all tabs. There have been countless times I accidentally click on the top right corner for whatever reason and it closes the whole window with like 10 tabs. I've edited my post for clarity.

You may already know this, and in some cases where you were e.g. inputting text it might not help much, but if you accidentally close all tabs, you can open Chrome, go to History, Recently Closed, and there'll be an option to reopen all the tabs that were open when you last closed it.

OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You may already know this, and in some cases where you were e.g. inputting text it might not help much, but if you accidentally close all tabs, you can open Chrome, go to History, Recently Closed, and there'll be an option to reopen all the tabs that were open when you last closed it.

Yeah no worries I mentioned I knew this in the last page, but it's still annoying to have to reopen tabs when I didn't want to close it all in the first place. Could be an easily avoidable problem with a toggle-able dialog box..

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Every single thing about Bluetooth and headset/mic usage drives me up the fucking wall insane in Windows.

Anytime I need to flip my listening device for music or set a new mic for Teams or Discord, everything goes to shit. Turning devices off and reconnecting is a nightmare. Just insanely frustrating.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Ive used it, but that was all in CA. I usually make at least one trip a year, and one year I went from always signing on a screen to being able to input my PIN.

I wonder how it works because my credit card doesn't even have an interface for me to add a pin number to it. My atm/debit card does, but I almost never use that.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Windows 10 not having a tabbed file browser.
macOS not having a 'cut' option for files.
You can remap any keyboard shortcut in MacOS under System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. It works either globally or on a per-app basis. For Finder, if you added Move Item Here as Command-V, that should work and override Paste. You could add Paste as something else.

Jan 13, 2020
I lived in Germany from 2016 - 2019 and I still can't believe just how many places didn't accept credit card. So many restaurants are cash only.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
You can remap any keyboard shortcut in MacOS under System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. It works either globally or on a per-app basis. For Finder, if you added Move Item Here as Command-V, that should work and override Paste. You could add Paste as something else.
I've been using OSX/macOS as my daily driver for almost 13 years and didn't know this. This is extremely basic functionality obfuscated by completely unintuitive controls.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I've been using OSX/macOS as my daily driver for almost 13 years and didn't know this. This is extremely basic functionality obfuscated by completely unintuitive controls.

Command + C to copy, Command + Option + V to paste and remove from original location.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Car Play, or just decent UI in cars in general. I bought a new Toyota RAV4 a couple years ago and despite spending $30k on a car, the entertainment system feels like a mid-2000s Garmin. It's remarkably awful. Nothing about Teslas as cars are particularly interesting to me, but I kinda want one just because of the forward-thinking driver interface.
I don't own a car, but rent one when I travel, and the interfaces are so fucking awful it should be a crime. First thing I do is spend 20 minutes in the rental parking lot figuring out how to pair my phone.

You are amazing.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Cars don't seem to have built in Dashcams even as an option. I researched a new car this year and never came across dash cams in any reviews. I bought a Mazda with 50 cameras for safety features, but no dashcam option.

Netflix shows that never get a release as a download or disc. You can't get stranger things or mind hunter on Blu-ray or iTunes.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
If you only use one open window for Chrome, then turn on the "continue where you left off" option on the "On startup" section of the settings menu in Chrome.

If you use multiple windows and you accidentally close one, Ctrl+Shift+T will undo that. It's the default shortcut for undoing a close tab, but it also works for entire closed Chrome windows.
even if you just use one open window, you can also just hit ctrl-shift-t when you open chrome again, and it'll bring back all of the tabs from the last time chrome was open

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Cars don't seem to have built in Dashcams even as an option. I researched a new car this year and never came across dash cams in any reviews. I bought a Mazda with 50 cameras for safety features, but no dashcam option.

This. And even mounting and running wires for a dashcam is a pain in the ass. I don't want to have to take panels off to have a clean dashcam installation.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
iOS not letting me turn off WiFi from the quick menu anymore. It only temporarily disables it now and then it randomly keeps trying to connect to networks. Now to fully turn WiFi off I need to go into settings.

Yes! This drives me nuts. It didn't used to be like this in old iOS versions.

Felt Apple have gone backwards on quite a few things which are so simple design choices.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Such and such bullshit is preventing your OS from restarting. Do you want to restart anyway?"

Bitch I clicked restart for a reason.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not being able to use my iPad as a monitor, or hook consoles up to it to play.
Yeah, this always baffled me with tablets or even laptops. Why can't they take video in? Especially tablets with USB-C. It'd make them much more useful and wouldn't need all that streaming stuff just to use it as a monitor.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to be able to give explorer windows a nickname without actually changing the name of the directory.

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about how much it pisses me off that my Accord doesn't have proximity locks. It's the "sport" model that has most of the bells and whistles, but they didn't want to add $100 to the price so I could just leave my fob in my pocket.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I've got one: the Xbox PC controller adapter has problems being recognized by Windows 10. That wouldn't be so bad if you could download a driver direct from Microsoft. You can't. No joke.

Last edited:

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Retractible selfie cameras on phones.

My phone (Xiaomi Mi 9T) has it and it's so much better than those fucking notches. But very few phones have it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
"Such and such bullshit is preventing your OS from restarting. Do you want to restart anyway?"

Haha I totally relate to this on a deep level.

I will say, it's saved my ass a few times when I was rushing to leave work and hadn't actually saved an Excel document, and the "do you want to save?" triggers the Windows log off to be prevented.

At home though? Annoying as hell.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've got one: the Xbox PC controller adapter has problems being recognized by Windows 10. That wouldn't be so bad if you could download a driver direct from Microsoft. You can't. No joke.
I ran into some really weird issues with my official Xbox wireless adapter. On some computers, you plug it in and Windows 10 installs it like any other USB device. On others, it just won't work. I had to track down the driver from a third party site because Microsoft doesn't host it for some inexplicable reason.

I believe the driver you need is different based on your version of Windows 10 so I'm hoping I never have to reimstall!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how it works because my credit card doesn't even have an interface for me to add a pin number to it. My atm/debit card does, but I almost never use that.
I guess then it just asks you to sign on the screen? Anyway it seems like it was a weird blip where it took ages to catch on with the rest of the world but then skipped quickly to contactless.

Also did you just say "PIN number"??? That always gets me lol

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
A good package manager in Windows. Linux has been doing this for over a decade and the closest thing to an official competitor is... the Windows store? Which is rivaled by the 2015 Ubuntu software center in usability?

RAM as a buffer for writing to drives (mostly SSDs). Veeery niche use case, but I just learned about DRAMless SSDs and how they lose tons of performance because there's no DRAM to act as a buffer. I bought more RAM to fix it but that's not how the systems work.

Notifications in general. I want about 1% of the notifications and emails I get. Google should step in but they make money on half this crap anyway.

A standardization of the "command line logic" + "GUI hook" app design paradigm. Apps like NZBget and Transmission can stay high performance with hundreds of queued actions, because the app itself is not tied to the user interface. I've seen other programs crash when you ask them to do too much, but that never happens here. Worst that would happen is the GUI crashes and you have to restart it, while the central logic continues undisturbed.

Containers. Massive gains in maintainability and security, minimal performance loss. Yet it's currently the domain of professionals and nerds.

Performance. Every time I use an app like Foobar2000 on a library of 20,000+ songs, I wonder what every other app's excuse is for choking on a map of a city or a New York Times article.

---

Tangent: Everything that very smart people invented in 1980-2005, that got thrown out the window when capitalism got a hold of it. I'm talking about RSS, email, offline apps, IRC, XMPP, etc. Far too many technologies have had solutions for decades that either used to work, or would work, but there's more money in making bespoke garbage for your walled garden. Every time Twitter is used in place of RSS i die a little.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
blind spot light for the side mirrors in cars. Most new cars have it but only as extra.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017

I hate it too but... that shit saved my life in 2-3 occasions where i had dozens office files open and forgot to save the important ones for a while.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

All Tesla do this as standard. If you honk horn(or tap icon on screen) it will save last 10 minutes from every angle. Also doubles as sentry mode when parked and records whenever someone comes near car.

Last edited: