• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 06 was such a broken mess and things like patches didn't exist when it came out and it remained a broken mess.

would there be refunds like there is for Cyberpunk? I forgot how was the situation when it came out?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
patches were a thing back then. probably not as early, but they were on the ps3 and 360.

Sega would just apologize and promise to do better next time, and that'd be it

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Forces never got any refunds on the level of Cyberpunk.

I don't think so.
Forces isn't fundamentally broken like 06 or Cyberpunk, it's just boring.

I don't think 06 would see anything like this either, mind. But that's in part because I don't think it was considered on the scale of Cyberpunk in terms of anticipation even at the time, and a Sonic game having plenty of jank wasn't exactly a new concept (god I hate Heroes).

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 06 with cyberpunk's marketing budget or sonic 06's marketing budget?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see Sega of 2006 or 2020 promising anyone refunds without coordinating with their partners first.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sonic already had a dodgy reputation at that point, and the outrage wouldn't be as jarring. Sonic 06 in many ways felt like the natural devolution of where the series was headed.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sonic Forces never got any refunds on the level of Cyberpunk.

I don't think so.
Sonic Forces is a boring game, it's not broken.

People seem to not be capable of understanding the difference between "game is bad" and "product is faulty / defective / broken"

The console versions of Cyberpunk 2077 are fauly non-functional products.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I often feel the quality of the game is more important than the bugs. Look at the original Mass Effect for example, it was a mess technically but it was extremely well received.

As long as the ratio between quality and bugs is acceptable people will give the latter a pass.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The series was already going on a downhill so people weren't really expecting much.

The thing with Cyberpunk is that the hype for the game was huge. A lot of money was spent into marketing and CD Project's been talking about it for 7 years or so. You can't really compare this situation to other games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Nobody cared about sonic 06 when it launched, which is why nobody bought it and it was 75% off at retail within a week.
I suspect they sent it to die as it was too late by the time they knew it wasn't going to be bought

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Sonic 06 was bad and glitchy, it wasn't broken. It didn't crash consoles. You're not going to get refunds for it.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If we're purely talking 'gAmEr' backlash and not the company's woeful handling of minority groups, I reckon the backlash CP2077 is getting is proportionate to the hype. Bigger the hype, bigger the backlash.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Time has cooled off the heat Sonic 06 had. If it released nowadays the reception would be just as worse if not more intense then back in the day.

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that they showed real time console footage, and the reviews for it being incomplete trash weren't withheld or put under embargo. A prospective buyer could actually look up footage of the game before making a purchase. The game is also completable from beginning to end without any game-breaking bugs, or console crashing, shockingly. On top of that, it even had a playable demo on the 360 you could try for free before buying. Cyberpunk on consoles had none of the above. 06 is just a bad game.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have a feeling Sonic 06 had more problems than glitches, loading times and unfinnished levels etc. Would still be a bad game.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Differently. 3D sonic has more bad games than good, so we can assume what to expect. Sonic 06 was not as hyped as Cyber Punk.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Sonic 06 was coming after Shadow the Hedgehog, one of the worst sonic games ever made. It had nowhere near the hype of Cyberpunk so I don't think the reaction was close to as severe. If it came out today, it would just be viewed as another terrible sonic game.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and other retailers aren't giving out refunds because the game is broken. They are giving them out because of the PR disaster. Sonic 2006 did generate the level media attention that Cyberpunk is generating.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how the situation would have played out, I am pretty certain that Sega would have handled it better than CD Projekt did lol.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
I think that Cyberpunk is more comparable with Alien Colonial Marines than Sonic 06.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony and other retailers aren't giving out refunds because the game is broken. They are giving them out because of the PR disaster. Sonic 2006 did generate the level media attention that Cyberpunk is generating.
It's mostly this.

You don't see Sony offering refunds on Life of Black Tiger, for instance.
DZltOv.gif

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
That depends. Did Sega intentionally lie and hide the console versions of Sonic 06 to scam unsuspecting console players out of their money?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'd use Skyrim or New Vegas as examples for this thought experiment as on the PS3 those games were terrible. Massive amounts of bugs, several game breaking, really poor performance and a myriad of issues. They were also coming off really successful games in major AAA series.

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly this.

You don't see Sony offering refunds on Life of Black Tiger, for instance.
DZltOv.gif
Does anyone buying Life of Black Tiger not know what they are getting into? You can watch the trailer, gameplay footage, etc and get a good idea of what you're about to buy. Could you do the same with the Cyberpunk ports? That's the difference here. A console gamer buying the game at launch were misled with how it actually performed and looked due to the lack of any media on those ports.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Meh, at least Cyberpunk has versions of it that are pretty decent, unlike Sonic 06 or Colonial Marines.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I think this website is the only place I see sonic mentioned (and there is nearly a daily sonic thread here) I don't think it's been relevant since the mid 90's

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason refunds are being offered is because CDPR attempted to throw Sony/MS under the bus with the refund PR spin they did. If they just had said 'sorry we're working on it' nothing would have happened. Sony retaliated and MS had no choice but to follow because they don't want to be seen as the company that 'doesnt give refunds'.

Plus, pretty sure Sonic 06 didn't have a fraction of the hype CP2077 has/had.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I remember bigger outrage from Sonic kissing a girl. I definitely heard the game was broken, but the kissing scene was what most people were making fun of.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
06 is a buggy game, but it doesn't seem like it's so broken you can't even complete it. It was probably as buggy as any newly released Besthesda game. The progression blockers are just super poorly designed gameplay sections, like the mach speed sections, the 8 ball hallways, the Silver boss fight, the million loading screens.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
A cold shiver just ran down my spine as I imagined a world where Sonic 06 had 8 million pre-orders...

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The only reason refunds are being offered is because CDPR attempted to throw Sony/MS under the bus with the refund PR spin they did. If they just had said 'sorry we're working on it' nothing would have happened. Sony retaliated and MS had no choice but to follow because they don't want to be seen as the company that 'doesnt give refunds'.

Plus, pretty sure Sonic 06 didn't have a fraction of the hype CP2077 has/had.
Yeah. That whole "ask for refunds, good fucking luck" post seemed insane and lacking any understanding of how purchasing games works.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Sonic 06 wasn't nearly as broken as Cyberpunk is. Sega also never lied about the condition it was in.

I was more mad about Rage on 360 than Sonic 06 tbh, and I bought a console for Sonic.

Oct 30, 2017
Really bad, buggy games have always existed.

Cyberpunk was really the perfect storm of:

-High end PC graphics being used to market to all gamers (with an enormous disparity)
-review embargos
-colossal amounts of hype
-tons of delays and promises this game was fine
-glitches, crashes, and terrible performance

It's been awhile since something hit those notes so hard.

Sonic 06 came off the release of Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders. The fact that Sonic 06 was shit wasn't all that surprising I don't think.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
We knew sonic06 was bad, the game even had a demo that everyone could download at E3. I think it was E3 2006, MS allowed you to download some of the demos at E3.