• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2020
Mariko can do 1228mhz on GPU and 2091mhz or 2014mhz (don't know which) on CPU.
In handheld they could easily max out the CPU and run the GPU at 921mhz, and in docked they could max out both. Not exactly double for docked, but you get the idea.

I know more about their system software development than you think I do (though, it's not super complicated, fwiw).
They're both still using Mariko and are both being actively developed/worked on.
Are all mariko's units able to run at these clocks within the 2019 switch power budget. They may have clocked these chips down in order to maximize yields.

Apr 11, 2020
Nintendo always tests Switches at max clocks, if they fail to sustain those clock for 30 minutes straight under full CPU and GPU load, they're thrown out immediately regardless of whether or not they can handle the clocks they normally run at.
Sure they can all run at those clocks but some may use more than 10/15W. I'm not sure if Nintendo are planning to overclock the firsts models after the release of the 2021 one.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt mind dlss capable Switch Pro on Turing or Ampere but I feel like the reports of the Pro model are so vague its best to assume a modest upgrade over a big one

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I never said they would overclock the current ones, I strongly believe they won't and it'd be a stupid idea, actually.
I just stated the Mariko SoC could achieve those higher speeds, if they wanted to do so in a new model.

It would be smart to raise the CPU speed to 1.2 GHz and GPU 868/407 MHz for all models in a future firmware update. It would give CPU/GPU starved games a bit of a performance boost and current games like Xoom 2 run a tad better or have a more stable frame rate

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Mariko can do 1228mhz on GPU and 2091mhz or 2014mhz (don't know which) on CPU.
In handheld they could easily max out the CPU and run the GPU at 921mhz, and in docked they could max out both. Not exactly double for docked, but you get the idea.

I know more about their system software development than you think I do (though, it's not super complicated, fwiw).
They're both still using Mariko and are both being actively developed/worked on.
Generally "Pro" revisions should be about removing bottlenecks, not adding them. The last thing the Switch needs is more reasons why games might underperform in docked mode in addition to the memory bandwidth and boosted handheld profiles.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah they still need to talk about 3060 and lower end chips. Hopefully nano next as we have anticipated for some time now 🤔. 6AM is insane, unless it's pre-recorded.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
If such a chip exists, its more than likely the same chip that's in next years switch units. In which case, maybe Nintendo have asked them not to talk about it.
They already announced their Tegra line, Orin which comes in 2022 goes down the whole stack of power profiles except for sub 5watt, which is where Nano Next in 2021 comes in, that is the entire list of devices for Tegra, the rumor that a custom 8nm Tegra chip is being made does exist from people who leak Nvidia stuff, and that would be whatever next year's model is, that would point to nano next being a salvaged part, and yeah we could hear about it in a hour, Tegra NX was announced around this time last year, so it isn't hard to imagine Nano Next being revealed today, though it doesn't have to be.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia does have A72 license, using it in blue field 2, can't rule that out for Switch next year.

Also, Nano 2GB isn't Nano Next, as that has already launched and Nano Next is a 2021 SoC according to the official road map.

Apr 11, 2020
If we're trusting the roadmap, where is the Nano 2GB on it?
It's still a Jetson nano board with a TX1.
Nvidia does have A72 license, using it in blue field 2, can't rule that out for Switch next year.

Also, Nano 2GB isn't Nano Next, as that has already launched and Nano Next is a 2021 SoC according to the official road map.
I have the feeling that this 8*A72 implementation is more a Melanox thing than a Nvidia internal development. That being said, an 8*ARM 70 family is clearly not out of reach especially in small 7BTr chips.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Welp, there's always that conference in January.
Let's not do that.

We're unlikely to see anything at an NVidia focused conference. We may see something at a shareholders meeting Q&A where they let on that such a thing exists, but no details.

We may see something come out of CES. CES is a place where they might do some business regarding the next switch with NDAs in play, but something may slip.

We may see something in December out of the blue too, but the last place I expect to see anything about the new Nintendo Switch, is announced on stage at an NVidia event.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia will wait for the Switch Pro to be announced and if the Pro is using a new SoC you will see nvidia's announcement of the chip show up at the same time with possibly a separate announcement for a new ShieldTV or something.

There is almost zero benefit for nvidia to preview the Switch Pro SoC right now because they aren't going to be selling that SoC to anyone else, so previewing it would just undermine Nintendo's announcement down the road. They already have the customer lined up, and this isn't a chip you can go down to your local computer store to pick up so there is no need for nvidia to pre-hype it to get consuner interest.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Let's not do that.

We're unlikely to see anything at an NVidia focused conference. We may see something at a shareholders meeting Q&A where they let on that such a thing exists, but no details.

We may see something come out of CES. CES is a place where they might do some business regarding the next switch with NDAs in play, but something may slip.

We may see something in December out of the blue too, but the last place I expect to see anything about the new Nintendo Switch, is announced on stage at an NVidia event.
If it's coming out by end of Q1, January is the next date that makes the most sense. Nvidia conference or not. And it's not like Nvidia would announce the Switch Pro themselves. Just the chip, without mentioning Nintendo brand.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
If it's coming out by end of Q1, January is the next date that makes the most sense. Nvidia conference or not. And it's not like Nvidia would announce the Switch Pro themselves. Just the chip, without mentioning Nintendo brand.
If a chip like that is announced, it doesn't take much connecting of dots to figure out Nintendo is going to use it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

They announced the X1 because they had no customer lined up at the time of announcement. The timeline for when the X1 was revealed matches closely to when Iwata started talking about the NX, which was some months later, so the deal was inked very early but not before the announcement.

Switch Pro SoC, if it's a new one and not a Mariko shrink running at even higher clocks, likely will not be announced before hand in all likelihood as they have already secured a customer and it is in the customer's interest to not have their big reveal spoiled.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
If they're making a chip that's first and foremost for the next iteration of Nintendo Switch, do you think that Nintendo won't have it in the contract that they don't get to announce it until the Nintendo product is out? I don't think they'll be able to contractually.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing Nvidia might talk more about is the already announced Nano Next that releases next year, the details on that chip could lead us back to its origin chip if it is a salvaged part, but it is good news that Nvidia continues to value 8 of the same cores over big and small core combinations.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Shocking. If only GTC has anything to do with consumer devices, ever.
I doubt that we'll hear much if anything until Nintendo will decide to announce its next gen h/w.
Don't know what all the shade here is about, Nvidia did announce a Tegra Nano Jetson board today, just not the Nano next. They also announced Tegra NX 11 months ago, so it's not like there was no new Tegra products announced today, or that there isn't a history of them being announced around this time of year.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
If a chip like that is announced, it doesn't take much connecting of dots to figure out Nintendo is going to use it.
For us regulars and people who are really following switch pro, yeah. For everyone else, no. But anyway Nintendo will do the announcing.

They won't announce the chip 2Q before the new model rumoured release date.
I'm making an end if March release date assumption. Nobody knows when it's coming out.

Don't know what all the shade here is about, Nvidia did announce a Tegra Nano Jetson board today, just not the Nano next. They also announced Tegra NX 11 months ago, so it's not like there was no new Tegra products announced today, or that there isn't a history of them being announced around this time of year.
Iirc, the NX Xavier was announced/put in their website last fall. I brought it up back then iirc

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't "Tegra Nano Jetson" or "Tegra NX" and they aren't mobile SoCs targeting graphics applications either (i.e. "Tegra" anything).

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
They announced the X1 because they had no customer lined up at the time of announcement. The timeline for when the X1 was revealed matches closely to when Iwata started talking about the NX, which was some months later, so the deal was inked very early but not before the announcement.

Switch Pro SoC, if it's a new one and not a Mariko shrink running at even higher clocks, likely will not be announced before hand in all likelihood as they have already secured a customer and it is in the customer's interest to not have their big reveal spoiled.

A rough timeline on the consumer side of things. Note: "Erista" is the code name for Tegra X1.

March 2014: - Erista added to Tegra roadmap, will be Maxwell-based. This will be the successor to Logan, the Tegra K1 (Kepler based).
January 2015:- Tegra X1 "mobile superchip" is announced
March 2015: - Nvidia Shield TV micro-console announced, will use Tegra X1
March 2015: - Iwata mentions the Nintendo NX
May 2015: - Nvidia Shield TV is released
October 2016: - Nintendo reveals the Switch
March 2017: - Nintendo Switch is released

Also note (most of you know this but for others that don't) Nvidia never officially had a product called "Tegra X2"
Their Pascal-based SoC for automotive/AI stuff was codename Parker.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Also note (most of you know this but for others that don't) Nvidia never officially had a product called "Tegra X2"
Their Pascal-based SoC for automotive/AI stuff was codename Parker.

They have pretty much phased out the Tegra name, (the T remains in TX1, L4T etc.) but from their Jetson documentation site:

The Jetson TX2 module is built with Tegra X2, a Parker Series SoC. This Technical Reference Manual focuses on the logical organization and control of the Parker Series SoC. It provides information for those modules that interface to external devices, or those that control fundamental chip operations. The modules detailed in this document provide an overview, any necessary programming guidelines, and a register listing for that module. Internal functional units such as video and graphics hardware acceleration are controlled by NVIDIA provided software and not documented here. Refer to the software release notes for features supported in your product.

Apr 11, 2020
Nvidia are selling a full board with a binned tegra X1 at $60 and they would probably be able to price the NX board down. Even more with 8 nm. I would not be surprised to see an updated Xavier chip (if not the base/die shrunk Xavier chip) in the new model.

At this point, die size and power consumption would not be a problem if Nintendo can get the chip at a good price. It consumes as much power as the original TX1 in handheld mode (on 12 nm, way less on 8 nm) and they would be able to add 2 to 3 hours with a high-end battery/better LCD screen.

Xavier could have been used as early as 2019 if the switch failed. Maybe it was Nintendo's plan B. Especially considering the fact that it would have been a 45W chip with base PS4 performances and DLSS-ready thanks to its Tensor cores and DLA.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well the Oculus Quest uses a Snapdragon 835 which is about 700 Gflops, so Mariko @full clock being 650 Gflops should be comparable. The new Quest 2 though is suppose to be twice the GPU/CPU performance of the Snapdragon 835 for $299 using the newer Snapdragon XR2.

I'm slowly preparing myself for a Mariko Switch Pro. Would be really underwhelming if that's all we got though if the performance boost is there I would still buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.