• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Actors often suit up and change a lot about their common look in order to play a character. This can include more than just clothes, but behaviours, hair colour/style, or taking them into roles from the past or future. Basically: I love the "dress up" part of acting. ♥ I want roles where a character has gone out of their way to dress the part; you can play around with this quite loosely, just so long as they don't look like they do IRL (which rules out most Adam Sandler comedies; rom-com stuff where pretty celebrities are basically just pretty people; or Ron Perlman -- because he may genuinely be a monster-man.... I'm just joking with that last one)

Jeff Bridges and John Goodman in The Big Lebowski were my first idea (and the reason I made the topic). I think most [white?] people have known someone like Walter Sobchek: Brash, loyal, crew cut sporting, polo-wearing, proud and loud, pot-bellied patriot (and I love the yellow-tinted glasses for good measure). Goodman does such a great job with the role where you wanna strangle him and still sorta admire him all at once. Meanwhile The Dude's nonchalant energy is beautifully relayed through some choice lounge clothes... The film never really lets either of them change. I might be crazy thinking it, but I can't help see the two of them not love playing these roles for how ridiculous they are.
104-188630_Actual.jpg

Saying this feels...a bit rude, but... Meryl Steep's look for Devil Wear Prada is incredible. In her shoes, I'd probably opt to keep a look like that for myself (but I guess that'd be weird), but I love how chic she looks between the snow-white hair and incredible clothes; and her character definitely inhabits the look perfectly and plays Miranda with such a chilling and mean-spirited (yet excellent) performance. This is sorta a contrast against Streeps relatively...plain look otherwise (in both in hairdos and fashion). Despite her 'legendary' status in the business, she keeps her own image surprisingly tame.
meryl-streep-devil-wears-prada-1024x576.jpg

I feel like Danny DeVito is a man incredibly self-aware of the roles he can get, in part because of his very unique physique, and genuinely great talent for acting. And Tim Burton's transformation of him into Batman's Penguin was pretty perfect for DeVito in both those aspects. From the ghastly beige onesie, the extra pointy nose, the greasy hair (and fur coat), and I really love that....weird black bile that he seems to randomly spit up. The character is intriguing to watch and the role filled perfectly by DeVito.
9c44e31c7f7c54f0eb50ef52229d52e9a8137985.jpg

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glenn Close as Cruella De Vl. I appreciate how much she committed to the role.

tumblr_pmnf046R611rxucla_1280.png

tumblr_pmnf0dOFfi1rxucla_1280.png

tumblr_pmnezyYtjm1rxucla_1280.png

tumblr_pmnf0167cL1rxucla_1280.png

Her showing up to the premiere as Cruella was cool too:

GettyImages-106103955-1475521936.jpg

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People love to shit on Samuel L. Jackson because all his characters act the same, but at least they all have very different (and memorable) looks

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had to reread the OP but once I got the question, she was the first person to pop into my head. Also screw it, here's some more pictures. I hope whoever was in charge of wardrobe design for this movie won some awards at least because they're so fun.

tumblr_pmnezwJBfw1rxucla_1280.png

tumblr_pmnf089hP61rxucla_1280.png
tumblr_pmnf0afBym1rxucla_1280.png

Last edited:

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
ying-xiong-lg.jpg

Love Hero despite the arguments of it being Jingoistic Propeganda for the CCP. Still manages to nail a level of artistic expression with solemn stoic performances and visual wonder---the aesthetics of the film are beautiful. Jet Li has incredible presence IMO, his fight with Donnie Yen is beastly; it's just a cooler look than a lot of his popular characters with the half-bald braided queue.

inthemoodforlove.jpg

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai and Maggie Chung weren't as cool as they were as they were in In The Mood for Love though. I feel like I have this fantasy of them being a hyper-stylized way of how my grandparents dressed.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
More in spirit of the theme of the thread in brothers bloom specifically Bang Bang's changing outfits to capture the does-what-she-wants spirit of the character.

Bloom-1.jpg

And for Wes, life aquatic very much captures am atmosphere

lifeaquaticmain.0.jpg

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
As a connoisseur of suits Daniel Day-Lewis' outfits in Phantom Thread were a sight for sore eyes.

anglo_2000x1125_danieldaylewis_phantomthread.jpg

MV5BNzcyYzU1ZTYtMTUwNC00YWY0LTk3ZjctMjhhMTkyMWJjNTY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXBrZWVzZXk@._V1_.jpg

1-4.jpg

THE-RAKE-PHANTOM-THREAD-10.jpg

edea81_7f1509fdd4974bb39f60504f7879eaef~mv2.jpg

Not to mention the many suits of Hannibal Lecter.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I love the look of Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston in Only Lovers Left Alive. They're not entirely unrecognizable, but their outfits and attitude perfectly matched the specific esthetic and mood the movie was going for.

MKOPWEWJTYI6HMM2TAI66O63ZM.jpg

ap406424897425_0.jpg

Only_Lovers_Left_Alive_03_W.jpg

inthemoodforlove.jpg

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai and Maggie Chung weren't as cool as they were as they were in In The Mood for Love though. I feel like I have this fantasy of them being a hyper-stylized way of how my grandparents dressed.

Yes!! Wong Kar-wai definitely knows how to work with looks to match highly defined styles. In The Mood for Love is a very good example. I also like its pseudo-sequel 2046. Just look at these futuristic shots:

xin_1405012117109023076418.jpg

2046-118.jpg

MV5BNWYwNWFjMWUtYjhlNS00NjViLWJlYTgtNDliZTVjNjNjMjQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQWFybm8@._V1_.jpg

Bradd Pitt and Casey Affleck in this movie

You made me remember how phenomenal the soundtrack of this movie is.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Fashion isn't really my thing, but can't help but notice how good Jodie Comer looks on Killing Eve with a variety of different outfits.

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F3fb6f686-7f09-11e9-a6f6-79962f69dbc6.jpg

killing-eve-outfits-intro-slide.jpg

killing-eve-wardrobe-1586882532.jpg

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Jack Sparrow is a pretty iconic outfit. He looks like a character from a JRPG, but manages to pulls it off in a way that feels believable rather than silly.

ds1yqc4.jpg

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Anya Taylor-Joy's character in Queen's Gambit got increasingly well-dressed as the show went on, and she looks great in all of her outfits.

So it's not like she has a single outfit, but rather you get used to how she's wearing a different outfit in nearly every scene.

UjH9KZs.jpg

njhbrqM.jpg

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Oh damn, I was about to post sexy pics of Tom Ellis as Lucifer, but then I read the OP and figured I maybe misunderstood the thread title. 😂