• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yah I desperately need a haircut and it sucks that there's just no option whatsoever right now. My girlfriend offered to cut it but she's never given anyone a haircut before so nah.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how anyone does the back of their head or even the back top. It's always going to look awful unless you buzz your whole head to short lengths because even clippers won't do it perfect at moderate length.

I think someone could do a half decent job with no experience for someone like you other half, sis, bro etc. as long as they comb the hair to see how it falls on the head and such while doing it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the little leaver on the side of clippers for, what does it do in different positions?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you screw up a buzz cut? Watch me.

Nah, not unless you had less full hair than you thought and it's patchy and have an oh shit, I've gone bald moment for the first time but at that point, probably the best result.

I guess, maybe a shorter length at the sides compared to the top and work your way down instead of all over short to see if it looks better with a fade.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Right so say you put a 8mm guard on, you push that leaver up and it could make it 4mm or 10mm with the guard on depending which way you push the leaver?
I think the highest position keeps it closest to your selected guide, and I don't tend to notice much difference between long and short with the 3/8" guide that I use. Setting it to longer can help prevent your hair getting caught up in the blades if it's been a while since your last cut.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I was giving my friend shit about getting no line ups next month. Prepare for that no guard shave.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I think you'll be fine looking scruffy. It is a global emergency, people understand. Nobody minds that people on Walking Dead are scruffy looking.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I've been letting my beard grow the past month with just getting a lineup and some of my hair trimmed down. It's gonna be a lil out of control now with no barber at all, my dad used to do my hair as a kid but last thing I'd want is to ask him to try it now.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually pretty thrilled. In elementary school and in college, I had very long hair as a guy - down to my shoulders. A couple years back, I tried growing it out again - fortunate that it's still thick and grows in nicely - but to get the classic "down to my shoulders" look, I have to overcome this super awkward, horrible fro phase for like a month or two - and working a white collar job in front of clients, couldn't swing it.

But during quarantine? You better believe I'm gonna try...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm black so my hair texture may be different than yours (100% an assumption, please feel free to clarify) but I cut my own hair for years, including fades, etc. With the right tools and a little patience it's really easy.

I used:
Clippers/edgers
Scissors
Mirrors (the key to success)
Comb/brush

My hair is super long now because I stopped getting haircuts a few years back but the small investment is worth the time money and effort. If you're gonna go for it, YouTube some tips for your hair type/length/style.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Had my cut mid February but this week it started going wild on the sides and back, got a funeral tomorrow so wanted to look a little cleaned up. Gave a shave to them with a no. 2-4 guard. Looks fine tbh.

Plenty of videos on YouTube which explain good tips. I'll probably go over the rest with a 6-7 guard or might just go full 3.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people who talk about needing a haircut always have short hair. Go ahead and cut it yourself though. It's something everybody should do once in their life. I did it and had no regrets when I was like 20 something. Right now is a perfect time since you have an excuse.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If you have a razor and guards you can find YouTube videos. I did mine in January and except for the back it worked pretty well. My coworker who used to cut hair said it was pretty even.

You can have your wife help with the back at least.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm either going to buzz it with a set of clippers or just let it grow and see how it turns out. I had a short fade going and this might give me a chance to grow out the top longer and then when things are normal, just go back to the fade but with the longer hair. No one is going to see me really since all my social environments are cut off, mostly (gym and school).

Fabeltjes

Banned
Mar 7, 2020
Just do buzz cut if you care about it that much. I always do it once every six months or so and haven't really had any issues.
If you do somehow fuck it up it'll grow back in no time anyway.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I got super lucky. I get mine cut every 3 months and had it 1 week before shutdown.

I'll get interesting midsummer but I can always buy more pomade and make it work at least until end of year. Kind of like RDR2 haha.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well you'll have enough months to hide yourself if you mess up, which you will, so you definitely should.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Go for it, I've been cutting my hair for a decade. Just cut a little and see how it looks, what I have learned is that usually when you are cutting it you get confident at some point and at the end it's way shorter than you think.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a matter of looks, no one cares.

If it's a matter of feels, just buzz it!

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
I've done that a couple of times - with results varying from meh to okay to hey, that's pretty nice. Take your time and don't get discouraged.
Some rough advice:
Draw an imaginary line starting from your left/right nasal wing going straight through your left/right eye through your hair. That's roughly where you'll comb a parting.
Buzz cut below the parting, but not too short, so you can still add some fading.
Systematically take some wisps of your top hair between your index and middle finger and shorten it.
The back is the hardest part, if you have to do it yourself. I've found it easier to do this more or less blind and by touch and feeling.
Don't cut off too much to leave some leeway for corrective sculpting.
You'll probably have to make some additional cuts in the following days. See it as a work in progress.
If the result still sucks, try buzz cutting the top about 2 to 3 cm longer than the sides. You may like the result more than a full on buzz cut.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Na don't do it yourself. Can't your Barber do home visits?

I went today and managed to get a trim but in 2 weeks his just gonna come to my house to do it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
ETlJ9SbWkAAwIU2.jpg

Been there already. Mistakes happened.

Oct 27, 2017
I get my hair cut every 4 or 5 weeks. I'm already 2 weeks overdue for a haircut, all the barber shops are closed for the next month.

..I shoulda hoarded more shampoo