• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
On an interview that's meant to air tomorrow, Former President Obama mentioned the following in regards to slogans like 'Defund the Police':
Former President Barack Obama told Peter Hamby on the Snapchat original political show "Good Luck America" that "snappy" slogans such as "defund the police" can alienate people, making the statements less effective than intended.

What he's saying: "You lost a big audience the minute you say it, which makes it a lot less likely that you're actually going to get the changes you want done," Obama told Hamby in an interview that will air Wednesday morning at 6 a.m. EST on Snapchat.

"The key is deciding, do you want to actually get something done, or do you want to feel good among the people you already agree with?"

A similar statement was made by House Majority Whip James Clyburn, who blamed "sloganeering" for losses during the election.

Some progessive democrats had a few choice words on the statement, like Cori Bush:

With all due respect, Mr. President—let's talk about losing people. We lost Michael Brown Jr. We lost Breonna Taylor. We're losing our loved ones to police violence. It's not a slogan. It's a mandate for keeping our people alive. Defund the police.
Source:
www.axios.com

Obama: Broad slogans like "defund the police" lose people

"The key is deciding, do you want to actually get something done, or do you want to feel good..."

EDIT: FULL INTERVIEW UP!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020
I agree with him. It's needlessly shockingly and doesn't really describe what people want.
Reform the police.
Fix the police.
There are countless better slogans to use.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your input, war criminal.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i feel like these people that are screaming "Defund the police" are maybe in a better position to know what kind of stuff they want to yell than... well, Obama ?

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
He's not wrong. I know a guy who used "HOPE" and "CHANGE" as slogans and he lost people (when he started protecting the police).

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With all due respect to Cori Bush, you don't get to make the change you want unless you get the votes to do it. Get a better marketing team.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Obama can say whatever the fuck he wants. Black people were dying to the police while you were president for 8 years and you didn't do shit either so why the fuck does your opinion matter? Activist designed the slogan to state their desire. They didn't come up with it so Democrats who don't do fuck all anyway can feign interest for re-election.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that bugs me is the idea that "Defund the Police" and "Abolish the Police" fails because it doesn't get people elected. It bugs me because that's not the reason for the slogan. These slogans aren't for elections, that's why they are formed from anti-government protests and not, you know, election campaigns. The whole point of "Defund the Police" is similar to "Black Lives Matter" and taking a knee during the national antherm. It's meant to anger and shock the nation. It's meant as a cry for attention on a serious issue. It's meant to be a purposefully combative statement to force people to pay attention to the issues at hand. Of course it isn't meant to win elections, that wasn't its purpose.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'd still argue "Defund the police" sounds like "remove all funding and abolish all police" to me at first glance, when it seems that most people want to just divert some portion of funds from police to, say, social workers. I know some people ant complete abolition of police forces, but if the movement is really "Reduce funding of police," I'd say it's not unfair to say "Defund the police" isn't the best slogan.

I'm not sure if what I'm arguing is really what Obama is trying to say, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The democratic party doesn't get to tell activists that their demands could be more palatable if they just made them vague enough to be meaningless. If they don't like it make a better plan. Defund the police is a good slogan because it is memorable and clear. It just is not popular among people in power or wealth so they concern troll, Obama is no different.

Oct 25, 2017
What he's saying: "You lost a big audience the minute you say it, which makes it a lot less likely that you're actually going to get the changes you want done,"

The changes they want done are defunding (well really abolishing) the police.

I agree with him. It's needlessly shockingly and doesn't really describe what people want.
Reform the police.
Fix the police.

They don't want to fix the police because the police can't be fixed.

That's why they want to stop giving the police more money.

i.e. Defund the police

Arguments about it being confusing are started by politicians that want to give more money to the police and are almost always in bad faith and we shouldn't let ourselves get sucked into the bullshit.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with him. I don't think complex issues need simple slogans, particularly when it seems more designed for social currency than it is for change

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
The changes they want done are defunding (well really abolishing) the police.

They don't want to fix the police because the police can't be fixed.

That's why they want to stop giving the police more money.

i.e. Defund the police

Arguments about it being confusing are started by politicians that want to give more money to the police and are almost always in bad faith and we shouldn't let ourselves get sucked into the bullshit.
It's messaging. You don't want a slogan that can be twisted by any opponents. "Defund the police," while accurate, is easy fodder for people to turn into something negative.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Obama can say whatever the fuck he wants. Black people were dying to the police while you were president for 8 years and you didn't do shit either so why the fuck does your opinion matter? Activist designed the slogan to state their desire. They didn't come up with it so Democrats who don't do fuck all anyway can feign interest for re-election.

www.usatoday.com

Obama stands by the term 'thugs,' White House says

President criticized violent rioters as 'criminals and thugs.'

Pretty rich of Obama to talk about this stuff when Black Lives Matter started under his Presidency.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
he's probably correct wrt it not getting folks on your side and not really appealing to folks who don't already agree with it, but otoh it seems like perhaps he should focus a bit more on discussing the ongoing epidemic of police brutality instead of semantic quibbling with the folks who say "perhaps there should be less police brutality"

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He's correct. My wife, my brother in law and my sister in law basically spent 90 minutes in a heated discussion with my conservative in laws trying to deprogram them from thinking "Defund the Police" means "allocate money from the police to other social services" and not "Abolish the Police". It was a fucking nightmare because of their first impression hearing the word "Defund". Eventually-after much yelling and hot tempers they eventually "believed" us and actually agreed with the message of the movement. Not every "call" to authorities necessitates a police visit-sometimes a social worker is better equipped-and the police don't need fucking tanks.

People are very sensitive about this movement-rightfully so-that they don't want to hear any criticism of the slogan. But it could have gone better in as far as messaging.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's messaging. You don't want a slogan that can be twisted by any opponents. "Defund the police," while accurate, is easy fodder for people to turn into something negative.
Except that we live in a world where the opponents can twist ANY message. And lie about the meaning of it, even if they know that it's a lie.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes but, again, it's not for voting. It's a combative statement on purpose. No one was shouting "Abolish the police" for votes. It was stated because of the outrage against the police. Similar to how taking a knee isn't productive to votes. It's not meant for that.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could he even do anything with Republicans blocking everything he did?

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Defund the Police MALARKEY!

There I fixed it for ya, Jack! I turned a policy demand into an empty platitude!

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
No candidate was explicitly running on "defund the police."

Activists are going to come up with whatever slogans they want -- and that's how it should be.

It's the job of elected officials or candidates for elected office to engage with messages that already exist. If they want to endorse it wholesale, that's fine. If they want to add some nuance, that's also fine. It's their job to figure out which path to take.

Oct 25, 2017

How Public Opinion Has Moved on Black Lives Matter - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

unknown.png

Was "Black Lives Matter" bad messaging?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I mean. On some level I agree with him. But only because I think I'm turning into a scumbag that will tell you "No, I don't wanna defund the police." Then do it anyway once I got elected. Pulling a page directly from Republicans.

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not? Because that's not the purpose? Like, that's the issue I'm having. We're taking a slogan meant as a demand of outrage against the awful police force and acting like it was meant to...get Biden elected?
Ok - what the point of the outrage? What's the end goal? Y'all just want to shout into the night and that's it? Because of so - cool. But if you want something more than that then your cool slogan won't work.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Lots of people marched this year under that slogan, would they really have reached more people with an explanation of the slogan?

Reform the police is not less snappy, it's the exact same format just calling for something different.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Racial justice has been politically unpopular until you make it so.

BwrHtwh.jpg

Defund the Police is a perfectly valid slogan.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but, again, it's not for voting. It's a combative statement on purpose. No one was shouting "Abolish the police" for votes. It was stated because of the outrage against the police. Similar to how taking a knee isn't productive to votes. It's not meant for that.

The problem here is you're saying it's not for votes-but the opposition is clearly using it to get THEIR votes. And it's working.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Except that we live in a world where the opponents can twist ANY message. And lie about the meaning of it, even if they know that it's a lie.
Well yeah, but make them work for it.

If you want the change to happen, then you need to get people on your side. I'm aware that there is a large subset of people who will never be in line with it, but being able to say things like "Libs want to make it so that the police can't respond to your calls!" makes it difficult to entice people who can be swayed by pithy slogans

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

Fuck off Obama. Glad to see him finally get called out for this shit. I know Cornel West has been waiting years for this day lol

Oct 26, 2017
Reform the police.
Fix the police.

Come up with a better phrase that unambiguously means "reduce police funding and redistribute it to more important social services that are actually helpful" because every time we use the word "reform" it just ends up meaning "give the cops even more money"

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Hell, a beloved former president is in an awfully good position to help shape public opinion on this, but unfortunately he wants police to get more money so that's the direction he's shaping it in.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reform the police.
Fix the police.
No, people say "defund the police" because they want police funding cut. YOU are uncomfortable with that idea, but YOU do not speak for the people who are demanding defund the police. Fucking hubristic nonsense.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He is absolutely right.
It's a bad slogan when you have to explain what it means.

And there is a reason Bernie Sanders won't touch it.

Oct 25, 2017
he's probably correct wrt it not getting folks on your side and not really appealing to folks who don't already agree with it, but otoh it seems like perhaps he should focus a bit more on discussing the ongoing epidemic of police brutality instead of semantic quibbling with the folks who say "perhaps there should be less police brutality"
He has discussed it though. https://barackobama.medium.com/how-...he-turning-point-for-real-change-9fa209806067

It's just progressives like Cori Bush can't take the L on those three words, and even double down on it by calling it not a slogan

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Defund the Police is a terrible slogan. It sounds needlessly extreme and scary to the average person.