• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the game for the past few days since its English release on Steam, and boy did it surpass my expectations. I'm just over halfway thru main game and all I can say is if you like Fire Emblem or SRPG, I strongly recommend checking it out. The game does also feature women with rather gratuitous design but overall I think the art is just gorgeous and there are no pervy scenes or anything. Don't get distracted by the cleavages, this is a game with heavy political thriller angle set in the period of French revolution, and the gameplay is challenging and interesting. The level design are well done, with varied mission objectives especially optional objectives that grants extra rewards, and you're gonna want those because the game doesn't mess around on General mode. Even as Fire Emblem veteran, this game has kicked my ass quite regularly but I feel my failure is often my own fault. Downside of the game, I think the translation is pretty subpar (has typos and stuff) and the music is just mediocre, and I feel the game is not character focused enough, lacking some support system from FE means the characters are lacking in their story and characterization, except perhaps the main protag.

All in all, I hope some of you try it out and hopefully enjoy it like I do.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Banner-of-the-Maid_20200115_05.jpg

I vaguely remember this. Its got some of the cringiest character designs for objectifying women as I recall. I mean this random screenshot I just grabbed from Google. Why has a military officer got her jacket open with her tits out?

It's painfully bad....

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Truly the God of War in the new era.

Also, trailer if anybody wants to take a peek at it

Dunno, plenty of SRPG's have come and gone in the last era to mild surprise and mild disappoint, often in equal measure. But this does look neat in a "Disgaea with French Waifus" sorta way

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Neat. I've never heard of this but it looks pretty decent. I don't mind the idea of buxom, cleavage pushing corseted women in the rather unique setting, but that Pauline design is straight trash and does not need to exist.

Here's a review I found when googling.

Far more ruinous is that isometric view, IMO.
Right? What kind of strategy RPG uses... the same view... that like every SRPG ever used... Huh?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I vaguely remember this. Its got some of the cringiest character designs for objectifying women as I recall. I mean this random screenshot I just grabbed from Google. Why has a military officer got her jacket open with her tits out?

It's painfully bad....

I just started laughing when I saw that image.

Christ, it's like one of those terrible "Come hither m'lord and play this game" ads you see here and there.

Every time I see this shit, it makes me think that that the creators of the game aren't confident enough in the actual gameplay and style of the game itself, so they NEED to use these designs to try and entrap people who would otherwise pass by it with the promise of big anime titties.

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I've never heard of this but it looks pretty decent. I don't mind the idea of buxom, cleavage pushing corseted women in the rather unique setting, but that Pauline design is straight trash and does not need to exist.

Here's a review I found when googling.

Right? What kind of strategy RPG uses... the same view... that like every SRPG ever used... Huh?
Disclaimer: Fire Emblem is the only srpg I like because the fact that my dpads aren't tilted diagonally makes isometric view annoying.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this one of those games where the better you do, the more clothing they take off? If yes, then sign me up.

Anyway. I'm patiently waiting for the release of Fae Tactics by Endless Fluff games. They made Valdis Story a few years back.

This looks like it's more up my alley

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think I added this to my Steam wishlist a while ago after seeing people mention it in a thread highlighting obscure games. I really love SRPG's, but the character design has given me pause on buying it up to this point. It is encouraging to hear good things about the gameplay being engaging with varied objectives.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's painfully bad....
Clearly it's to distract any enemies with those honking big things.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty nice JRPG-style tactics game with a cool alternate history.

Here's a fairly comprehensive video review (possibly a couple of spoilers?):

I tried out some of the English language beta and enjoyed it, a few months back...just didn't keep up with the rest afterward. I should go back and play more one of these days.

The developers have made a fair amount of fixes and updates since the initial release too, which is also good.

I think it's fair to criticize a few of the female character designs for their over-the-top use of cleavage. Calling that element sexist isn't out of line.

They don't ruin the game for me, to be honest, nor is it an element to prop up an otherwise terrible, soulless gacha product, but it is one of the weaknesses that the developers should have reconsidered.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Is this one of those games where the better you do, the more clothing they take off? If yes, then sign me up.

Anyway. I'm patiently waiting for the release of Fae Tactics by Endless Fluff games. They made Valdis Story a few years back.

Yo that looks great! Valdis Story was a cool metroidvania so the pedigree is decent too. On to my wish list.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All joking aside, I might give Banner of the Maid a try. I just wish the characters were a little more grounded for their setting.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I don't care how good a game is if the art design is like that. If I'd feel the need to shut it off when my daughter entered the room then it's not worth playing. Cringy virgins mess up another game with their over the top objectifying bullshit.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Love their work. Never finished Valdis Story, because I sucked at the combat, but this one seems really fun.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I was so excited by the description, especially since I had just finished watching Rose of Versailles... and then I saw the designs. SRPG is my favorite genre, but even then I won't support a game with such hyper-sexualized designs.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I love SRPGs and this game could have the deepest, most satisfying gameplay systems for that genre and I still wouldn't pick it up with those character designs. I'd be interested once an inevitable mod drops though.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This is about the French Revolution? lol

Japanese (or, like this Chinese-developed game, anime-influenced) media does seem to occasionally show a particular interest in French history and culture, even if not necessarily a lot of adherence to the strict letter of it.

That said, I would recommend the older anime (and manga) Rose of Versailles to anyone who is interested in this sort of cultural mix and revolutionary setting...and one nice bonus is it mostly avoids all the fanservice issues mentioned here (some of its treatment of gender was even rather surprisingly progressive for the era, though it does have certain dated aspects in that sense as well).

Last edited:

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I love SRPGs and this game could have the deepest, most satisfying gameplay systems for that genre and I still wouldn't pick it up with those character designs. I'd be interested once an inevitable mod drops though.
That would be nice, but even then I couldn't bring myself to support the developer. :(

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I could just tell by the game's title that it'd feature thirsty anime titty character designs. It takes away any credibility the game may have had and looks dumb af.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I like the idea of the setting and I'm always up for some SRPG goodness, but those character designs make this a hard pass for me.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Japanese media does seem to occasionally show a particular interest in French history and culture, even if not necessarily a lot of adherence to the strict letter of it.

That said, I would recommend the older anime (and manga) Rose of Versailles to anyone who is interested in this sort of cultural mix and revolutionary setting...and one nice bonus is it mostly avoids all the fanservice issues mentioned here (some of its treatment of gender was even surprisingly progressive for the era, though it does have certain dated aspects in that sense as well).
Japanese interpretation of the French Revolution:

STONKIN', GREAT, TITS!

And Bonaparte?
Unless I missed something about the character designer I think this is a Chinese game.

I could just tell by the game's title that it'd feature thirsty anime titty character designs. It takes away any credibility the game may have had and looks dumb af.
The "maid" refers to a little known French figure known as the Maid of Orleans, aka Jeanne d'Arc

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
That said, I would recommend the older anime (and manga) Rose of Versailles to anyone who is interested in this sort of cultural mix and revolutionary setting...and one nice bonus is it mostly avoids all the fanservice issues mentioned here (some of its treatment of gender was even surprisingly progressive for the era, though it does have certain dated aspects in that sense as well).
Rose of Versailles is legitimately great. As you said, it has its flaws, but overall it's really good.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I missed something about the character designer I think this is a Chinese game.

That's completely true, but I guess since it does have a clearly anime-influenced style, I was making a mental association with Japan's own similar works. I'll have to edit that in order to clarify things.

Last edited:

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017

The "maid" refers to a little known French figure known as the Maid of Orleans, aka Jeanne d'Arc
Be that as it may, when I read the thread title I guessed a game with big shiny cartoon boobs popping out if tight soldier uniforms. And I was correct. I've never been wrong.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I hear about this I'm reminded that I should finally crack open my copy of Jeanne d"Arc on PSP.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Rose of Versailles is legitimately great. As you said, it has its flaws, but overall it's really good.

I've been meaning to watch this series for some time. :)

And yeah, you know, I think I will just wait for another SRPG whose female characters are not ridiculous sex dolls walking around in attire completely ill-fitting for the job they are meant to perform (in this case, combat).

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got this on my wishlist, might cop when my backlog is reduced

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Looks really good to me in terms of gameplay and the character designs outside of those females. The artist is talented but reminds of the Magna Carta artist - obviously talented but wow some of those designs are aimed at horny teenagers. Still, with SRPGs I am forgiving when it comes to character design if the gameplays adds up and it looks like it might to me. I'll add it to my wishlist, thanks for the recommendation, OP.

Aug 28, 2019
Ah... right. I remember coming across this a while back.

I was almost, almost considering buying it. But then I saw the character designs and realized that the developers absolutely did not want my money under any circumstances.

Oct 31, 2017
Wow... The chara design looks terrible in those few screenshots.

Plus, this isn't what I have in mind when I think of the French Revolution... Lmao