• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I kinda wanted to see how this topic would fair, as it's a very indie little game, but well made for what it's going for and got some attention several years ago. New video was just released of Banned Memories, an indie PS1-styled survival-horror game inspired by the original Silent Hill for PSX that's been in on-and-off development for over 9 years now.

In the video he shows off quite a bit of new gameplay & screens of a "nearly finished" version of the game. The video is more focused on environments than enemies or puzzles, in his words all of the locations in the game are done, most of the enemies ground-work is done, just needs to design more rooms and get the game fully connected and finished.

He also mentions there will be a new demo for the game later this year before it launches.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Very cool. I really wish more indie developers would attempt larger scope games like this by using simpler retro 3D graphics. A lot of those teams that worked on PS1 and N64 games were only a dozen or so people.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
What's with the name? Is the conceit that the game was banned or that the character has banned their memories?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool. I really wish more indie developers would attempt larger scope games like this by using simpler retro 3D graphics. A lot of those teams that worked on PS1 and N64 games were only a dozen or so people.

For some reason I love N64/PS1 era graphics. I know they look "bad" but there's a simple charm to them that you just don't get with modern day stuff.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those low poly stairs tho. I know they want that ps1 look, but sometimes, a rose-tinted view is better

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah he even has the same walk as Harry. I think if they start charging for the game Konami might get involved.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I don't mind the low poly, low res look but intentionally adding in affine texture warping and jumping vertices is taking things a step too far.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Inspired isn't the word I'd use heh. Not sure I'm on board with it for that reason, but also not sure if I'm down for a "new PS1" game in 2021, seemingly complete with the gameplay of it, unless it is very very good from a story PoV.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing. Love low poly stuff and SH. Very interested in this project.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, apart from the darkness in the video (Seems a bit too dark for gameplay) it looks interesting. There's something about that era of gaming that makes exploration and horror immersive.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the low poly, low res look but intentionally adding in affine texture warping and jumping vertices is taking things a step too far.
I think that partially added to something the original Silent Hill 1 had going for it, where there was enough detail so you knew what you were looking at, but not enough detail that it was always crystal clear what you saw, which gave a weird presence to the monsters and environments to make them more daunting and unknown sometimes, especially the weirder designed ones.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020

I kinda wanted to see how this topic would fair, as it's a very indie little game, but well made for what it's going for and got some attention several years ago. New video was just released of Banned Memories, an indie PS1-styled survival-horror game inspired by the original Silent Hill for PSX that's been in on-and-off development for over 9 years now.

In the video he shows off quite a bit of new gameplay & screens of a "nearly finished" version of the game. The video is more focused on environments than enemies or puzzles, in his words all of the locations in the game are done, most of the enemies ground-work is done, just needs to design more rooms and get the game fully connected and finished.

He also mentions there will be a new demo for the game later this year before it launches.

I like it!

Putting this on my list...

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any site like itch.io or the artist's own that we can follow this game and its builds somehow, or is Twitter the only outlet at the moment?