• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
It's B&O. Odds are they'll be really good (but probably not the best) but yeah, stupid money.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On paper, they're the HX cans with added Xbox features. The problem is that the HX was already overpriced for what you got, and these Portal cans are priced identically. They're probably the best sounding Xbox Wireless headset on the market, but they're not so superior to the Steelseries Arctis 7X to justify the near 3x price tag.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was intrigued. But $600+ CAD??

I'll stick with my HD599s + Schiit stack. You could buy a whole new console with that money.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019

luExuvH.jpg

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
These are equivalent to the HX which already sell for 500 without the Xbox addition. This isn't some mark up for this feature.

If it's the same headphones with the same drivers and the Xbox additions then that's a good option if the consensus is that they deliver on its asking price compared to similar headsets. As always wait for reviews and check other options if using it with an Xbox isn't the primary use.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
549 CAD before taxes...mmm no thanks lol,probably out of stock already anyway ;) ...I want the regular new Xbox Headset but guess what ;P

I am starting to sound like an old man screaming at the sky with this out of stock bit but yeah... :P

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, these look fucking amazing though.

If the sound quality holds up I'd grab these over Apple AirPods Max any day of the week.

(not that I'm getting either of them any time soon though)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Why buy a series x when you can buy a headset that is compatible with a series x for the same price 🧠

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
Love B&O but you definitely pay extra for the brand name and nice design. I'm sure these will be on sale at some point, they've recently been giving away the H9s with broadband and phone contracts.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Looks nice. I have no understanding of how things like this cost $500.

Console with billions of things going on are the same price as drivers and padding? Probably because they are more niche?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
$500 is too much. if it was $300 I would bite.

also, is bluetooth simultaneous? I don't see any mention of it?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone here game with noise-cancelling cans?

Are there any detriments to the noise-cancelling tech maybe deteriorate audio quality at all? I've never used or tried any of them, so maybe my view is colored by noise-cancelling in other products (mics, cellphones) that always end up with tiny audio glitches/artifacts all over the place.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
I did. It sounds good I'm just more worried about how much it's going to pick up in the background. I just don't have any experience using a virtual mic like that so I have no idea what to think honestly.

It's going to work as well as a XM3/4 or a bose 700, which is pretty good as long as you don't have too much noise around you. But results still vary from a brand to another so it's always better to wait for real life tests. If it's like the HX it should have hybrid 4 mics and a noise reduction system, which makes it quite average (I think that Bose or Jabra have an hybrid 6 mics array and they are considered as the best headsets for voice comm without a boom mic).

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I was looking forward to these, but as I already own the SteelSeries 7x, Penrose X and MS Wireless Headset I probably won't be picking these up at this point. Granted B&O do look nice and would fine to use outside of the home as well, but I already have Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones for that.

I will pay attention to how these are though in case I want to pickup a pair down the road.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here game with noise-cancelling cans?

Are there any detriments to the noise-cancelling tech maybe deteriorate audio quality at all? I've never used or tried any of them, so maybe my view is colored by noise-cancelling in other products (mics, cellphones) that always end up with tiny audio glitches/artifacts all over the place.

Noise cancelling deteriorate audio quality, but it's very different from a brand to another. The basic thing is that the more ANC you have the more distortion you can have. It's not a definitive rule though, but ANC headset that can keep audio untouched are just a few (and it's clearly not Bose). You usually don't lose anything, but some frequencies can be a bit muted or you can also get a bit of static. I don't think this B&O will have this kind of problem though.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Touch controls? No thanks lol

The ANC slider and Game/Chat slider are the same thing?

This looks like it will be a nightmare to actually use
To me it looked like it was Game/Chat when in Xbox mode and ANC otherwise, unless there is a modifier somewhere that would toggle between them. I would disable ANC anyways when gaming at home as I never have that much background noise that would need to be cancelled out. That said, if their ANC also has transparency mode then I would use that whenever I needed to talk to someone without taking them off. I use that all the time when walking my dog with my Sennheiser wireless earbuds.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I am having a hard time with myself when it comes to hifi anxiety. I play with my headphones plugged into the 3.5 jack on the controller – somehow my Sennheiser HD595s sounded puny and the 6.3 adaptor adds a crackling sound.

I then went for the Audeze LCD-GX but have this niggling fear that the wireless audio protocol would sound better with actual wireless headphones.

What are your experiences with the controller 3.5 jack?

Oct 27, 2017
They seem to be the HX plus Xbox wireless for the same price why you buy the regular hx plus an Xbox headset instead?
The pricing is certainly in the same range, but we don't know that the featureset and audio are similar yet. If these have the same sound and ANC tech as the HX, sure I might consider them. Otherwise, I'm just not looking to spend that much on a wireless gaming headset.

Nice! Didn't know there was a difference.

The Penrose X are today i think the best you can get when it comes to audio quality. Let's see how these from BO will turn out. Imo the design is pretty damn good. No green ugly colour lol so I could use these outside my home without shame.
Few companies make cans that look as good as B&O. They're luxury items, for sure, but the aesthetics are sublime. These Portals are for a niche market, and the Penroses will still likely sound more accurate, but the Xbox brand got a serious style upgrade today.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Noise cancelling deteriorate audio quality, but it's very different from a brand to another. The basic thing is that the more ANC you have the more distortion you can have. It's not a definitive rule though, but ANC headset that can keep audio untouched are just a few (and it's clearly not Bose). You usually don't lose anything, but some frequencies can be a bit muted or you can also get a bit of static. I don't think this B&O will have this kind of problem though.

That point has always given me hesitation on spending on a set with it, hopefully I can try these out first because I definitely don't want to spend that much money and end up with something audio quality-wise. At the same time, being able to game in silence sounds like a dream come true.

Oct 29, 2017
I am having a hard time with myself when it comes to hifi anxiety. I play with my headphones plugged into the 3.5 jack on the controller – somehow my Sennheiser HD595s sounded puny and the 6.3 adaptor adds a crackling sound.

I then went for the Audeze LCD-GX but have this niggling fear that the wireless audio protocol would sound better with actual wireless headphones.

What are your experiences with the controller 3.5 jack?

Absolutely fine for me. I prefer my cheaper X2HR's wired to the controller to the likes of the Arctis 7X's for example.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
It's going to work as well as a XM3/4 or a bose 700, which is pretty good as long as you don't have too much noise around you. But results still vary from a brand to another so it's always better to wait for real life tests. If it's like the HX it should have hybrid 4 mics and a noise reduction system, which makes it quite average (I think that Bose or Jabra have an hybrid 6 mics array and they are considered as the best headsets for voice comm without a boom mic).

Thanks for the info. Definitely going to wait for others to get their hands on it but good to know it shouldn't be too bad overall.

Is Best Buy really sold out or did these go up early?

I'm assuming sold out because MS Store is sold out now too, although you can still pre-order the Grey Mist and Navy Brass ones there.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully has the dual sync tech too. Imo most console gaming headsets going forward should strive to have that going forward

Sep 20, 2020
I have the Beoplay H9's. Meh. I mean quality is good, yeah, but the noise canceling sucks when compared to Bose's QC line.

For $500 I was NOT impressed. Give me an Equivalent pair of Sennheiser's any day of the year.

So this is a hard pass.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I'm going to give these a shot and see what I think. Already impressed with the Xbox wireless headset as is. I've jumped from wired headphones to wired headphones for gaming in the past. Namely AKG and Beyerdynamic. Any thoughts on how these might compare? I work evenings so just about all of my gaming/ tv use is done with headphones through my series x.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to give these a shot and see what I think. Already impressed with the Xbox wireless headset as is. I've jumped from wired headphones to wired headphones for gaming in the past. Namely AKG and Beyerdynamic. Any thoughts on how these might compare? I work evenings so just about all of my gaming/ tv use is done with headphones through my series x.

We should be getting reviews here soon since the black version was available today.

Hopefully has the dual sync tech too. Imo most console gaming headsets going forward should strive to have that going forward

They do.

Tailor your gaming experience

The Bang & Olufsen App includes original features allowing you to create the ultimate gaming experience. Change EQ using gesture controls, enjoy both gaming and music via Dual Modes or enjoy a better voice balance when using your mic with Own Voice technology.