• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
gundam-vs-gundam.jpg

Bandai Namco Holdings announced on Wednesday that it has begun a tender offer on Thursday to acquire all of Gundam sponsor Sotsu Co., Ltd.'s common stock. Bandai Namco aims to make Sotsu a wholly-owned subsidiary and consolidate all the Gundam franchise licenses within the group.

Sotsu is an advertising agency that already has 22.3% of its stock owned by Bandai Namco. One of the subsidiaries of Sotsu is Sunrise, which is one of Japan's best-known animation studios. Sunrise is responsible for series such as Cowboy Bebop, Space Runaway Ideon, and Code Geass, as well as the Gundam franchise.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
God, Bandai Namco owning Sunrise properties could be amazing (though I thought they already did lol :/).

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
How does this fare for the Breaker series? I mean, New Breaker was shit but I was hoping for redemption.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't there something preventing them from doing this?

Also, it should be Sentinel.

Considering how manga and anime licenses tend to work, I could believe it. However, the fact that it gets love in almost everything else
makes me believe that isn't the case. Build Fighters has had Crossbone representation a few times and they are mainstays
in most of the games as well.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
It's been over five years since Side Stories came out on the PS3. We've gone an entire console generation without a single player Universal Century Gundam action game. That's sad and nuts.

Oct 8, 2019
God, Bandai Namco owning Sunrise properties could be amazing (though I thought they already did lol :/).

They did, Bandai bought Sunrise back in 1994. This also caused the creator of Gundam Yoshiyuki Tomino to leave Sunrise at the time. He came back to Sunrise in 1998 mainly because the next anime he created after leaving Sunrise was the infamous Garzey's Wing.

The article seems to have misread Sotsu's wikipedia article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotsu. The wikipedia article says that Sotsu has a relationship with Bandai Namco and in particular with the Sunrise subsidiary which the author thought meant that Sotusu owned Sunrise when it just means that Sotsu helps produce various Sunrise anime.

Sotsu is an advertising agency that has produced several Sunrise anime including Gundam, but Sunrise owned the IP, and when Bandai bought Sunrise back in 1994 that means that Bandai gained the Gundam IP then.

Here Wikipedia list Sunrise as being a subsidary of Bandai Namco

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They did, Bandai bought Sunrise back in 1994. This also caused the creator of Gundam Yoshiyuki Tomino to leave Sunrise at the time. He came back to Sunrise in 1998 mainly because the next anime he created after leaving Sunrise was the infamous Garzey's Wing.

The article seems to have misread Sotsu's wikipedia article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotsu. The wikipedia article says that Sotsu has a relationship with Bandai Namco and in particular with the Sunrise subsidiary which the author thought meant that Sotusu owned Sunrise when it just means that Sotsu helps produce various Sunrise anime.

Sotsu is an advertising agency that has produced several Sunrise anime including Gundam, but Sunrise owned the IP, and when Bandai bought Sunrise back in 1994 that means that Bandai gained the Gundam IP then.

Here Wikipedia list Sunrise as being a subsidary of Bandai Namco

Yeah, that's what I thought. I particularly remember the Tomino stuff, because it's hilarious.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I think it is due to the rights being shared between multiple producers originally. Bandai Namco owned part of the Gundam brand, while Sotsu owned another part of the rights, thanks to helping fund/produce several Gundam shows. Sotsu has been listed as a copyright holder for Gundam as far back as I can recall. I figure that Bandai Namco and Sotsu have had a very friendly relationship this whole time.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
...Bandai bought Sunrise years ago. Namco and Bandai merged a decade after that. Might as well finish the fight and get the producers as well.