• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which covers are better?

• Tales of Arise (US)

Votes: 95 10.6%
  • Tales of Arise (JPN)

Votes: 784 87.8%
  • Scarlet Nexus (US)

Votes: 275 30.8%
  • Scarlet Nexus (JPN)

Votes: 537 60.1%

• Total voters

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlett Nexus is a tossup, JP clearly wins for Arise though. Dunno what they were thinking on the latter.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with the US box for Tales is that it looks like they just cropped key art for each character and threw in a background.

I prefer US Scarlet Nexus, but I'm not "wowed" by it. The JPN box is way too busy.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
this seems to be a trend for japanese games. Is there a known, common reason, or do these changes tend to just be arbitrary?

Sep 15, 2020
US Arise emblem becomes an afterthought while I feel like it works better with everything on the cover overall in the JPN one.

The flame and flowers work well together in the JPN one while it feels like the lightning kind of distracts from the flame sword in the US one.

US makes the weapons seem smaller too. They look bigger in the JPN one with the cutoff effect even though you can assume they do not extend that much further from the cover. Also the angle of the flame sword is a lot better in the JPN one.

The female lead pose in the US one is just so bland for me. She seems bored while her leg position in the JPN one is more active, like you can expect her to do something interesting. Also both her hands are actively doing something in the JPN one holding a gun and a knife? US one, her other hand is just tucked away, doing nothing.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Japanese Tales of Arise is miles better, with that beautiful background

US Scarlet nexus cover art is far better though, it showcases the super power you're going to see in the game. Japanese Scarlet Nexus is like "yeah look at us we're anime teenagers" in an extremely generic way

Last edited:

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The lightning energy on the heroine looks better on the US cover but thats it.

Scarlet Nexus US looks like some destiny crap.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I laughed xD
My problem with the US box for Tales is that it looks like they just cropped key art for each character and threw in a background.

I prefer US Scarlet Nexus, but I'm not "wowed" by it. The JPN box is way too busy.

85612-tales-of-the-abyss-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

TotA sucked.... They use the anime cut=ins (as opposed to the original artwork) The girls just stand there, the guys have their Mystic Arte cut-ins (which is why they cut-off below the waist), and Mieu (the adorable creature thing) is the artist's artwork and placed at a 15-degree angle....
Then photoshop layer styles and called it a day with the random baclground blurred and overlayed.

latest

.... Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus totally reeks of PS2 era boxart

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is actually any market research that shows this works. I mean we can bag on it all we want, but if it actually does sell more copies then how can we blame them?

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Arise US cover is such a generic pose. Almost Generic CG Front cover JP one is very dynamic, even if it's a very similar pose. But Scarlet Nexus is so funny. US cover tells nothing about the game. In fact, doesn't even encompass what the game is about. Bamco dropped hard on both covers.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there is actually any market research that shows this works. I mean we can bag on it all we want, but if it actually does sell more copies then how can we blame them?

I'd say it would almost be deception/bait-and-switch, at least with Scarlet Nexus. I honestly think it's the opposite, I mean, fans of the games/genre don't like it either, so who is this for but to decieve?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it would almost be deception/bait-and-switch, at least with Scarlet Nexus. I honestly think it's the opposite, I mean, fans of the games/genre don't like it either, so who is this for but to decieve?

Well it's for regular folks who aren't fans of the game/genre. A fan of the game/genre is going to buy the game regardless of the box art, whereas a kid out there who only plays Call of Duty might drop by in a Gamestop or see the icon on the Playstation store of these cool futuristic shadowy figures and buy it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's for regular folks who aren't fans of the game/genre. A fan of the game/genre is going to buy the game regardless of the box art, whereas a kid out there who only plays Call of Duty might drop by in a Gamestop or see the icon on the Playstation store of these cool futuristic shadowy figures and buy it.

But then they would find out it's an anime-style game (that they probably wouldn't have bought knowing so) and want to return it or something. That's why I think it's just as deceptive as PS2-era boxart when they really tried to cover up anything anime/Japanese from the cover.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Bamco is really, really desperate to chase western sales for Tales especially with this game and it shows in every design decision right down to the boxarts. We are actively regressing from the strides we made to stop westernizing Tales boxart and it's disappointing as all hell.
Couldn't have said it better.
My last hope is that they decide at the last minute to give us a reversible cover or something.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Do you think Western Audiences asked for this?

But I will say I like the more stylized minimal look of the US Scarlet Nexus cover. I think it looks more intriguing.

It's the reasoning though really. In the West generic sells, you want something that looks as inoffensive as possible. In Japan the characters are what make the game unique and appealing so they put them front and center.

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
Bruh the only people who gonna buy these games are Anime fans (I'm one of them) just embrace it and stop playing around trying to appeal to non anime fans they don't care 😂

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's the reasoning though really. In the West generic sells, you want something that looks as inoffensive as possible. In Japan the characters are what make the game unique and appealing so they put them front and center.

I mean that doesn't really work for the Tales cover since despite the more generic pose, it's still putting the characters front and center.

I think if you changed the US Art to be the MC choices (same art as in the Japanese one) but otherwise kept it the same it would still be better than the overly cluttered one.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn. Anyone know if thes games are region free friendly? Aka will the Japanese version have English text and subtitle options because I'd rather have both Japanese box arts lol

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, Scarlet Nexus JP cover just looks like generic anime. The US one is at least sort of intriguing in a "okay, that looks kinda weird, I wanna know what's up" way.

US Arise cover is dogshit though. Like they just took the two models and put them in Poser, then threw them in front of a completely featureless brown dust cloud. Possibly the worst boxart I've seen in years. Compared to the beautiful illustration for the JP cover, it almost looks like a parody of terrible boxart.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
US Scarlet Nexus is pretty bad. Even if you buy into the notion of avoiding anime at all costs, it's such a generic cover that says basically nothing. For all I know it could be a Killzone game. "Oh, I guess they redesigned the Helghast, cool."

Tales of Arise covers are a lot closer. I think the composition and colours of the JPN cover are better but either one's fine with me.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
That (jp) Tales of Arise box art is so good, god damn I hope we get it as like a steelbook or a reversible or anything.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Both western box arts are awful, but even Scarlet Nexus' Japanese box art is pretty bad. The western Tales of Arise box is so cheap looking, like a quick fan edit who just extracted the models.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I prefer the US Tales of Arise design because I can actually see the full extent of the weapons. I despise when swords are cropped on the cover. It just looks weird.

The Scarlet Nexus Japan cover is infinitesimally better simply because it actually shows what the characters look like in the game.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Arise western cover art is so... basic? I mean, not in a good taste way like Insomniac Spider-Man which is very beautiful, this is just fan render level bad. I like eastern version of Arise cover even though I would far prefer an art the features the whole party like Vesperia DE.

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
Honestly, I'll give my hot take here that all the boxarts (with the exception of the US Scarlet Nexus boxart) just look like generic Bamco anime game #9999999. The US SN boxart at least gets brownie points for looking more unique, even if it's blatantly trying to hide the fact that it's an anime game lol.

But yeah, all of 'em look bad imo, tho the JP Arise boxart definitely has better composition, I'll give it that.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
They're both bad but I think US Scarlet Nexus is better just by virtue of not being the most generic looking anime art possible

Haha I feel the same. The JP art looks super generic to me. But I mean if the game IS an Anime game, then I suppose you may as well lean into it. Not like you are going to sell it to anyone by accident without them returning it once they find out its not their vibe.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like both the US and JPN Arise art, but the blue makes the JPN better.

The US Scarlet looks cool-ish, while the JPN is just feels busy. If it was just the two main leads, it would be better imo. Also it just looks generic.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
That US Scarlet Nexus cover is fire and will definitely catch the attention of a broader audience instead of the usual animay garbage that people buy when no one is looking.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I laughed xD

85612-tales-of-the-abyss-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

TotA sucked.... They use the anime cut=ins (as opposed to the original artwork) The girls just stand there, the guys have their Mystic Arte cut-ins (which is why they cut-off below the waist), and Mieu (the adorable creature thing) is the artist's artwork and placed at a 15-degree angle....
Then photoshop layer styles and called it a day with the random baclground blurred and overlayed.

latest

.... Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus totally reeks of PS2 era boxart
I was so glad they got their shit together for the US TotA boxart for the 3DS port.

81jkjFlEMKL._SL1500_.jpg