• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 17, 2019
I disagree I thought os2 had decent voice acting and did not sacrifice dialogue choices at all in order to make that happen. Some of the best moments in the game e.g- lohse's song, would not have the same impact without voice acting. Voice acting was not planned for os2 but it was heavily requested which is why they decided to add it and imo made the game way better.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on that point as I felt it compromised it quite a bit. However, let me raise a different point. BG still has a devout modding community twenty years. Quests, areas, and companions, whole expansions out of whole cloth. By interjecting a narrator and voices it forces the modders to go the extra mile and deviate from proper writing, but also necessitate vo.

May 17, 2019
Pillars of Eternity 2 made it work perfectly well with an option to play in real time or switch it to turn-based combat. No reason a game coming out even further down the line couldn't...

Because it would require every encounter, ability, stat, and weapon to need to modes at once. It is a large amount of effort that is simply not worth it. Make the game elite in one mode, don't compromise the heritage for turn based.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Super happy for everyone who is excited. I'm personally a bit skeptical about how it will turn out, but that's just a product of being burned on the last few RPGs I've bought. This game could be something really great, and I hope for all the die hard fans, it is.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I am frankly amazed by this news.

Baldur's Gate using the 5E ruleset as a foundation sounds like great fun.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Where's a good place to start this series, like the HD remake of 1 or go to 2 or something?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, so true. All doubts I had about voice acting in epic-scale RPGs evaporated once Larian proved it could be done in DOS2, in a way that only made the game better.

I was against the move initially, too...

I was very pleasantly surprised by the majority of the VO in D:OS2.

YARROW? YARROW GIRL

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh the character I want back most is Imoen. If the game is going to have a link back to the Bhaalspawn, she would be the best connection point to do that through since shes practically the secondary protagonist of the first games and since shes canonically a mage, it wouldn't be too hard to hand wave her lengthening her life through magical means.

She's likely dead. The last 2 Bhaal spawn where the game PC and the teleporter thief he meets. Both are dead and Bhaal has returned (which could only happen if they were all dead)

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Reading that Reddit post from yesterday where the guy lists out all of the Illithid stuff seeded in 1 and 2 makes me think this might have been the direction BioWare was heading in the first place.

It's like a significant ongoing side plot that I apparently forgot about, never ran into or didn't get far enough to see.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Is this linked to the new 5E Baldur's Gate adventure coming in September ( Descent into Avernus )?

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Divinity OS2 has a game master mode. Imagine using it in Baldur's gate 3 to play online with others.
That'd be amazing! Fantasy Ground and Roll 20 will have a new rival in the market. (if it's easy to use of course.)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
How dated will they feel if someone plays them now?
I dunno, moderately dated? The systems in it are a real-time adaptation of an already obscure ruleset. Definitely read up on how things work before jumping it--things like a balanced party, basic grasp of how the rolls work, and how to build characters will help you a lot.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
How dated will they feel if someone plays them now?

BG2 is my favorite game of all time so I might be a bit biased, but I played the EE editions when they came out and I think they have aged pretty well. It's isometric 2D so it has aged similar to the way Diablo 2 and Divine Divinity 1 has aged, and is fortunately not cluttered down by ugly early 3D graphics that was the fate of Neverwinter Nights 1.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that Reddit post from yesterday where the guy lists out all of the Illithid stuff seeded in 1 and 2 makes me think this might have been the direction BioWare was heading in the first place.

It's like a significant ongoing side plot that I apparently forgot about, never ran into or didn't get far enough to see.

Link to this

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a comprehensive getting started guide or something similar to understand the 2ed DD system in BGI&II and how not to get absolutely lost playing it for the first time? I've always wanted to try the two Baldur's Gates, but the gameplay system and mechanics have always seemed extremely daunting (I'm hardly experience at playing isometric RPGs).

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Is there a comprehensive getting started guide or something similar to understand the 2ed DD system in BGI&II and how not to get absolutely lost playing it for the first time? I've always wanted to try the two Baldur's Gates, but the gameplay system and mechanics have always seemed extremely daunting (I'm hardly experience at playing isometric RPGs).

This might be a good starting point

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

The manuals are actually quite good at this. They are incredibly detailed.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

AC and THAC0 is better the lower it gets. Thieves only backstab from behind and if they aren't noticed. All you need to know.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it's a grid based game.

AC and THAC0 is better the lower it gets. Thieves only backstab from behind and if they aren't noticed. All you need to know.
Talk about all these mechanics, I bet it's going to be much easier for newcomers to get into BG3.
There's no backstabbing in 5e for example.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

I'd say knowing spells don't depend on mana, rather you need to "prepare" them before resting also necessary. Vancian magic is a bit of an enigma if you're accustomed to MMORPGs or AAA RPGs

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
The manuals are actually quite good at this. They are incredibly detailed.

Thanks everyone for the links and tips. I have a bit of gaming to do before BGIII hits!

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Well, whatever to be honest. Like I'm happy we are getting a new D&D RPG! And from Larian! But the name doesn't make me feel anything given the original devs no longer exist and the story was done.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they have lots and lots of archetypes for the classes. I know I'll probably just make the gishiest MC I can out of the available options.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome news! Does remind me to get around to playing the first 2 games at some point. That and the Divinity games as well.

Feb 19, 2018
Where'd you roughly put the start as?
Looking at CRPGs specifically, I'd say Original Sin 1 and PoE 1 (so 2014 and 2015 respectively [EDIT: Shadowrun Returns and SR Dragonfall also released in 2013 and 2014 respectively, with the first being another big kickstarter success story and Dragonfall being one of the best CRPGs of all time, period]), with the most recent really well selling CRPG being Pathfinder Kingmaker from late last year.

Looking at how well Kingmaker and especially Original Sin 2 are doing right now, the new golden age of CRPGs is still going strong, and will gain even more steam with BG3 (unless Larian turn it into a different sort of RPG, which I really doubt) and the eventual releases of the next Owlcat Pathfinder game and Original Sin 3. Obsidian is struggling after the AFAIR rather weak sales of Tyranny and Pillars 2 (a real shame especially in the case of Tyranny, the game is fantastic and really unique) which are pretty much an outlier though, but probably the main reasons they allowed themselves to be bought up by Microsoft (it remains to be seen if they will continue developing CRPGs, but I doubt it).

Last edited:

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at CRPGs specifically, I'd say Original Sin 1 and PoE 1 (so 2014 and 2015), with the most recent really well selling CRPG being Pathfinder Kingmaker from late last year.
For me it's the first round of successful kickstarter games in 2014/2015. Pillars of Eterniity, D:OS1 etc.
Seems fair. I was curious if any would also mention the Witcher 3, which is as yet unplayed in my library lol

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I hope they have lots and lots of archetypes for the classes. I know I'll probably just make the gishiest MC I can out of the available options.

Have you played 5E? If not: essentially every class has at least three paths/specialization options. For example, the Fighter can become an Eldritch Knight (as my character in the current 5E game I'm a part of) that allows him to be a limited spellcaster without actually multiclassing. And you can multiclass too.

And that's just in the core books. The expansions hav a couple of more options!

Where'd you roughly put the start as?

Not directed to me, but I think the current "golden age" could be thought of as starting with the successful Shadowrun crowdsourced campaign. If not that, then Wastelands 2.