• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Have Larian done anything about the 6-party creation feedback from Baldur's Gate 2 and other DnD games to be implemented in BG 3? Or are we still limited to the 4-party creation?

If they haven't even done that to the EA, then it's highly unlikely to be in the final game. And I'm not giving them a free pass and paying for the privilege to act as a beta/ game tester when they should be paying testers instead.
Final game will still likely be 4-player, however they mentioned it they made the UI and systems so that someone could easily mod the game to be 6 party members. The game balance will still likely be off though

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You argument was unfairness of EA costing more than access through Kickstarter to the same EA, but that doesn't apply to BG 3.

With DOS 2 you could have had case.
I have a case here. It's fine if you don't have a problem with this but this is extremely dissapointing, Them charging full price for EA is not what i would have expected. I don't like it and I don't agree with it. They can do what they want but that doesn't mean they are right in doing it.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I have a case here. It's fine if you don't have a problem with this but this is extremely dissapointing, Them charging full price for EA is not what i would have expected. I don't like it and I don't agree with it. They can do what they want but that doesn't mean they are right in doing it.

From their perspective it makes a lot of sense.

The thing they probably realized is that most people treat EA as just a sale. It's a cheaper way to preorder a game. But they don't actually provide the valuable feedback they need. I know it's what I would have done. Picked it up early for cheaper and never played it in EA, because I personally think that's pretty nuts for a game like this, it's like spoiling yourself on a movie by watching some random 20 minute clip in the middle somewhere before the movie opens.

This way, they figure the people that are paying full price are the people that are much more like to actually want ot play the game early. Either to provide feedback, mess around with the character builds, or otherwise help them by providing other sorts of analytics they might find useful or enlightening in some way.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Final game will still likely be 4-player, however they mentioned it they made the UI and systems so that someone could easily mod the game to be 6 party members. The game balance will still likely be off though
And this EA is the perfect opportunity to test 6-party balance. But Larian would rather modders provide this service for free whilst they charge for 4-party testing.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Is pricing a pre-order at the full $60 more indicative of "what it is" - ie, entirely unplayable - and therefore more fair? I mean considering that everyone gets the full game eventually, I assume you're comparing the "what it is" at the time of payment as an incomplete game, but that's still better than a pre-order at the time of payment which you a)paid full price for and b)cannot play at all.

Early Access: Pay 60, play game for a time before release, get full release without paying anything more - unfair?
Pre-order: Pay 60, do not play game for a time before release, get full release without paying anything more - fair?

Well that just doesn't make any sense at all.

They don't actually care about early access, they just wanted a discount.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to pick this up. I'm a big modern CRPG fan but have never played D&D so am hoping to get introduced to the rules in the EA before delving into the full game. I've considered trying the first two Baldur's Gates but read too many warnings about their rulesets.

My first D&D game at age 37! I've almost fully outgrown my Catholic upbringing. This is a miracle.
As someone who never quite got the hang of the earlier BG titles, and finally played their first D&D game this year (in their 40s!), the 5e ruleset wasn't hard to pick up. You might also want to try the demo (if it's still available) for Solasta - it's also using the 5e ruleset, and does a good job of visualizing how it works.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
No, that's you making some weird assumptions. "Try it" and "play more" work perfectly reasonably for people willing to beta test. You're also acting like the allure of getting to play the game isn't part of it for those wanting to help when it obviously is.

I also clearly said "those who helped out", which should have tipped it... but here we are....
They dont want ppl who want a demo or those who are not sure they want to test the game in the first place. Nothing is stopping you from playing it early.

They want a very specific set of ppl who are serious about it already. If you need to be convinced of anything, this EA isnt meant for you.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From their perspective it makes a lot of sense.

The thing they probably realized is that most people treat EA as just a sale. It's a cheaper way to preorder a game. But they don't actually provide the valuable feedback they need. I know it's what I would have done. Picked it up early for cheaper and never played it in EA, because I personally think that's pretty nuts for a game like this, it's like spoiling yourself on a movie by watching some random 20 minute clip in the middle somewhere before the movie opens.

This way, they figure the people that are paying full price are the people that are much more like to actually want ot play the game early. Either to provide feedback, mess around with the character builds, or otherwise help them by providing other sorts of analytics they might find useful or enlightening in some way.
It's there progrative to charge what they want for it and I can just have issues. Hopefully it makes the game better in the long run but to me this is a poor way to handle it. No matter i'll buy it someday but it definitely won't be anytime soon now.

They don't actually care about early access, they just wanted a discount.
No I have no issue with early access and it normally is a good way to get feedback, charging full price on early access is where I find it a little messed up.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Ya...I'll wait until it's out of EA. EA for story driven games like this never made sense to me.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Ya...I'll wait until it's out of EA. EA for story driven games like this never made sense to me.

In this case, I'm actually OK with it..... the amount of times I've started characters, played through Fort Joy, then started another character in DOS2 is borderline absurd. I've also bought the game 4 times (PC, Switch, copy for my wife, copy for a friend).

Can't wait for the EA launch.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They dont want ppl who want a demo or those who are not sure they want to test the game in the first place. Nothing is stopping you from playing it early.

They want a very specific set of ppl who are serious about it already. If you need to be convinced of anything, this EA isnt meant for you.
Stop being obtuse, you know very well we are talking about the same people.

And plenty of those people who would be very serious about helping with the beta would be convinced to do so with a more reasonable price.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Stop being obtuse, you know very well we are talking about the same people.

And plenty of those people who would be very serious about helping with the beta would be convinced to do so with a more reasonable price.
tenor.gif

Meh was bored lol. Price isnt an issue, I understand others feel EA should give them a discount, but obviously Larian feels otherwise. I don't blame them either.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I've replayed D:OS recently and almost think it's a better game than D:OS2. Reason being because the sequel is too hardcore. I don't think I'm a bad player but several encounters are just badly designed. Also, I'm not a fan of the physical and magical armors, it's much more streamlined in D:OS. I hope Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't cater too much to min-maxers in RPGs because to me D:OS2 on Classic is almost impossible. It also feels like the game is designed to be completed in a set order (kinda like the old Mega Man games) for maximum efficiency. I don't mind getting wrecked if I venture too far, but in D:OS2 facing monsters with the same level is a challenge and +1 is almost impossible to win. In D:OS I can defeat monsters 2+ levels above me without problem.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
While 60$ is not what I expected for EA, it's from a developer with a proven track record. If people are so much against the pricing they can just wait for it's official release.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

I get them purely to get my standard RPG character creation paralysis out of the way. I make like ten characters to see which one clicks with me, take a screenshot, then remake them on release.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I've replayed D:OS recently and almost think it's a better game than D:OS2. Reason being because the sequel is too hardcore. I don't think I'm a bad player but several encounters are just badly designed. Also, I'm not a fan of the physical and magical armors, it's much more streamlined in D:OS. I hope Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't cater too much to min-maxers in RPGs because to me D:OS2 on Classic is almost impossible. It also feels like the game is designed to be completed in a set order (kinda like the old Mega Man games) for maximum efficiency. I don't mind getting wrecked if I venture too far, but in D:OS2 facing monsters with the same level is a challenge and +1 is almost impossible to win. In D:OS I can defeat monsters 2+ levels above me without problem.
Yeah, I beat DOS2 for the first time recently and I kinda have a similar opinion of the game's combat. Due to the armor/magic armor system, damage is the most important aspect of combat and I feel like that means you can't play as creatively as you would in DOS1. While there are some enemies that are weak to one type and strong against the other, I still feel like focusing on one type of damage (going full physical or full magic) is the most effective way to play the game. It makes the weird itemization even worse since you constantly need to keep up-to-date with gear since there's a huge difference between levels. I also feel like it forces you to do everything (all optional side quests and combat encounters) just so you can even stand a chance against enemies.

Since they're going to be using DnD 5e rules, I feel like a lot of these issues won't be a thing anymore. There's no magic armor system in 5e and gear is not as important as in DOS2. I do hope they address the XP issue and design encounters so that you don't need to be a completionist or maximize your XP gain in order to survive.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
As someone who never quite got the hang of the earlier BG titles, and finally played their first D&D game this year (in their 40s!), the 5e ruleset wasn't hard to pick up. You might also want to try the demo (if it's still available) for Solasta - it's also using the 5e ruleset, and does a good job of visualizing how it works.

Great thank you for the recommendation