• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I do quite like the dynamic ambient music, especially the guitar during combat. Also seemed like some brass instruments kicked in when a nat 20 was rolled. Or maybe that was a coincidence.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Role play is an old school approach... In a role playing game? In D&D, combat is often the last resort, as the high stakes of it means you'd rather get out of it through other means. And when combat do start, you can approach each situation in infinite ways, and you often should do that you're not in the mercy of the dice.
If that's not how you play D&D, I suggest getting better groups... Or playing Dungeon World.

Also, I don't TB fans coming just to say RTwP sucks. First, subjective, second - you won, OK? There are no more RTwP games anywhere, the market is with you! So can you all at least not be assholes about it for those of us who are actually fans of the original BGs...?

Uh...are you forgetting entirely the two Pillars of Eternity games and Pathfinder Kingmaker? RTwP made a huge comeback in recent years.

Yes, the developers of two highly-acclaimed turn-based RPGs making a BG3 made it pretty likely they'd go turn-based (and that's what happened), but it's hardly true that RTwP is "dead".

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh...are you forgetting entirely the two Pillars of Eternity games and Pathfinder Kingmaker? RTwP made a huge comeback in recent years.

Yes, the developers of two highly-acclaimed turn-based RPGs making a BG3 made it pretty likely they'd go turn-based (and that's what happened), but it's hardly true that RTwP is "dead".

Did you look at how much PoE2 sold?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Worth the 10€ they want on gog? Never played the first one

It is much more open than BG1 - lots of areas to wander around in and poke through stuff just to see what is there. It feels very different from 2, but I think it is excellent. It is a pretty good translation of what a campaign of dnd feels like.

This got me to fire up BG1 last night. About to go into the Nashkel Mines with Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynaheir.

I've been playing it on my switch the past week. Probably the first time I've played without mods in 15+ years, but it's still so great. I'm playing a dwarf for the first time!

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
If there are (barely any to) no battles with "trash" mobs in the game, what's the benefit of RTWP over turn based?
I'm trying to get into Pathfinder Kingmaker, and I just don't see the point, besides forcing the player to make choices under more pressure because the enemies won't wait if you don't pause all the time.

Rushing through trash mobs is not why RTwP is good, a good game shouldn't have bits you want to rush anyway.
The main advantage of RTwP is being able to issue orders to your whole party simultaneously, which allows for more co-ordinated party wide strategies. Quoting my earlier post with more detail:

I'm another person who's favorite game is BG2, and is disappointed by the lack of RTwP. However, I think my fellow BG2 fans should be looking at how the initiative order appears to work in this game to cheer them up slightly.

The main advantage of RTwP is that you can co-ordinate a whole party strategy much better than in D:OS type TB. In BG2 when combat starts you can assume a party formation straight away; fighters to the front, mages to the back.
Who didn't lose some D:OS 2 fights instantly because of where your party happened to be standing when the music stopped? In D:OS2 you quickly learn to initiate combat very carefully, or unchain your tankiest character from the party to have them initiate combat alone. If you did this (you did) you were finding a workaround to an inherent flaw in turn based combat.

The ability to have your characters all perform their actions simultaneously has other advantages too:
-Your fighters can scatter as your mage throws in a big AoE attack.
-A tanky character can intercept enemies chasing a weaker character that's trying to flee.
-You can take advantage of synergies between different characters abilities without the turn order messing you up- D:OS combat would have been soooo much better if you could co-ordinate such synergies better.

Thankfully BG3 appears to have the whole party taking their turn at the same time, and you are able to move everyone before taking any other actions. That will give a level of control over party-wide strategies that is close to what you get from RTwP.

There were many times playing D:OS2 where I thought "if this was RTwP my party could do this cool strategy, but the turn order prevents it!". I have never played a RTwP game and thought "I could do this differently if it were turn based". TB saves you pressing a pause button I suppose.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Have you two finished Deadfire and the DLCs? I think the writing is actually some of the best Obsidian has done, and they expanded the mainplot with Forgotten Sanctum and 5.0.

I never went back for DLC after disappointing main entry.

I completed main game of PoE 2 (main story, all companion quests and all side stuff that wasn't broken in release window) and put 54 hours total into the game. I didn't, but kinda did regret going in at full price. Told friend to wait for deep sale.

I just didn't feel writing was up to bar what one would expect from Obsidian (especially with all the hype they get) and a lot of content felt very unfinished. All companion quests just ran into brick wall and ended abruptly just as they started to get interesting. Hell, main story itself felt like it was missing chunks of stuff.

So... why I would have dished out more cash for DLC when I was letdown by main course when looking at full run in hindsight?

Oct 25, 2017
To me, the Baldur's Gate games were, first and foremost, attempts to adapt a D&D campaign, mechanics, story, and all, to a video game.

The fact that this game is trying to do the same thing in a different (and arguably more accurate) way is enough for me to not be upset at any changes.

I definitely hope the UI is tweaked and Divinity assets are replaced, but aside from that I love what I saw.

I would expect a lot of it to be placeholder as they move on to finalizing the game in EA, which would involve adding the unique flair to the UI that separates it from DOS2.

God, I can't wait for EA. Everything about this game feels like a dream come true.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Never played the originals,but seen the gameplay yesterday,looks like Divinity which is good,because I am playind the second and the game is amazing,but I was expecting more distinctions,I like a lot the new close ups and transitions.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that a sequel having explicit narrative/gameplay connection to a preceding game is somehow antiquated/silly sure is a hot take.

I think he meant it would not be financially sound to base your game as a direct sequel to a game that came out 20+ years ago. You limit your sell base when you do that. Sure they can have throwbacks to the other games, but making it a direct sequel is a sure fire way to kill your sales.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think you read my whole message.
During the first part were he dies, he fails a ton of 90-70% chance attacks, a fucking TON. We didnt see the once in a blue moon, we saw failure after failure and shitty damage outputs on top of that. He was fucking WIPED like this was original Xcom.
Thats what im complaining, watch GDC talks about real percentages and fake percentages. Its have been proved time and time again NOBODY like real percentages. 90% in mathematical percentage doesnt mean what our brain thinks it mean, that is hit ALWAYS (with a very very very low chance, so low you are maybe never gonna see it), it exactly means that theres a 10% chance that you could fail, and that 10% chance can occurs in randomness more that our brain likes to think. Its psychology of the human brain vs real numbers.

I dont, I do not like multiplayer in heavy story rpgs. I like Larian games, when I played It didnt feel as bad as what i saw in this first fight.

Is not being ignorant, is psychology. Again, it has been talked a hundred times about this in game design. Dont be condescending, is like if I tell you are ignorant for not reading game design books that talk about it.

You're just plain wrong here but that's okay

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I.. What's more open than BG1? I thought I was asking about BG1
Ya sorry, more open than BG2. Bg2's areas are very - you show up, here's the problem that's a legit quest. Deal with it then move on to the next.
BG1 has a lot of areas that are just wilderness/mountains, with little things sprinkled around the maps. A lot of the maps don't even have names!

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I think part-wide initiative is cheating. It means a slow character could wind up taking their turn before a really fast rogue or something just because their party initiative is higher. That doesn't seem right.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I've been playing it on my switch the past week. Probably the first time I've played without mods in 15+ years, but it's still so great. I'm playing a dwarf for the first time!
Bearded dwarf lady is always a wise choice! You have my thanks for continuing the legacy. If you were playing Male, then you are halfway there, still on a good path.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

RTwP is dead. PoE2, despite being amazing, sold horribly and I doubt PoE3 will use RTwP if we even ever get it. Kingmaker had a pretty bad implementation of RTwP IMO, and with it getting a turn based mode I think at this point RTwP will only be kept as an option for "legacy" players. The fact both big RTwP franchises had to include a turn based mode eventually speaks volumes. It's pretty much a done deal. Maybe the system will get a resurgence some years down the road, but for now the dream is dead.

I'm fine with it, I've made my peace with it going away. But it's quite a bummer to see so many people just beating the dead body of RTwP in a thread about a sequel to the biggest RTwP game.

"Avoiding combat" isn't some sort of special quality that requires a master but is not possible in a computer game.

I meant being in combat and "inventing" a type of action not explicitly covered by rules.
Uh... It is though? I've had boss encounters in tabletop that turned into dance-offs or a mini-villain that turned into our spy thanks to a successful scene where we broke down his ideology (despite the GM not planning any of these!). The breath of options in tabletop is literally limitless, or at least, limited by how good the GM is. In a video game, your options are limited to a set of outcomes designed for that encounter, until we have full AI GMs, it's not possible.
I don't know how you like to play your RPGs, but from my experience - We never rely on "types of actions" to figure out what I'm doing. I first describe what I do, and then the GM mulls over what rules should apply to the situation and tells you what to roll. So all actions in RPGs are somewhat invented, that's why tabletop is so fun - I can jump on the chandelier and cut it down on the enemies as I jump down! When I said the GM can "balance the game" in real time I meant that in that case the GM doesn't have to use whatever the rules say damage from falling is - they can decide what is an appropriate damage roll when I hit the ground if I fail my jump check for example, they can also decide to not give me damage but say I sprained my ankle and can't move as fast etc.
All that said, the fact I can imagine the chandelier scene happening in BG3, absolutely excites me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If there are (barely any to) no battles with "trash" mobs in the game, what's the benefit of RTWP over turn based?
I'm trying to get into Pathfinder Kingmaker, and I just don't see the point, besides forcing the player to make choices under more pressure because the enemies won't wait if you don't pause all the time.

I'm just coming off POE2, a solo POTD run which I found to be an amazingly fun and thought provoking experience. To me RTWP is more engaging than TB. Now I watched the video and they are doing a unique TB mode which I think is cool. To me, RTWP makes me think on my toes, TB kind of slows the game down and drags combat. I'm buying the game regardless. Day one, early access, etc. it's Larian. It's WoTC. It's BG. There's no way in hell they were going to please all BG fans and I see both sides of the argument but this is what we got. Now what I do hope is that they are open to feed back and can implement some requested changes / tweaks.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think part-wide initiative is cheating. It means a slow character could wind up taking their turn before a really fast rogue or something just because their party initiative is higher. That doesn't seem right.

I may have missed it, but did Swen mention how individual initiative bonuses work when initiative is rolled? Is it just the entire party's initiative added to the roll vs the sum of the enemies initiative?

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
CRPG fans must be the most well supplied niche fans of all. So much quality recently for a genre that was on the brink of dying.

Wushu Studios, team Shinobi works for, is helping out Larian
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats shinobi602 xD

twitter.com

Wushu Studios on Twitter

“We're so delighted to share we've been working alongside the incredibly talented @larianstudios on @baldursgate3! A chance to work on an iconic franchise like Baldur's Gate is a rare dream & we're honored to support such a visionary team. https://t.co/DKsFiNK7mu #BaldursGate3”

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I may have missed it, but did Swen mention how individual initiative bonuses work when initiative is rolled? Is it just the entire party's initiative added to the roll vs the sum of the enemies initiative?

I don't think he mentioned it specifically at all but people observed how turns were being assigned. Maybe the system is not fully implemented yet. I could be wrong though...

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't know people loved Baldur's Gate for the RTWP and not for story, companions, quest design and lore.

Seeing a lot of people being pissed because it's Turn Based and it's not "Baldur's Gate III" ONLY because the combat is different is really weird, really, really weird.

I've mentioned that quite a few times already.

I've seen this in several posts in this topic with folks basically trying to segregate Baldur's Gate and D&D into two seperate things because of RTwP mechanics and not the underlying lore of the FR setting as a whole.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

I've seen this in several posts in this topic with folks basically trying to segregate Baldur's Gate and D&D into two seperate things because of RTwP mechanics and not the underlying lore of the FR setting as a whole.

To be fair, many of the specific story/lore bits of the original games are unlikely to be featured very heavily if at all in BG3. The original games weren't just "Forgotten Realms". They were Bhaal and Minsc and Irenicus etc. People get attached to characters and specific events/scenarios more than overall settings. The new game looks to be pretty far removed from any of that.

However, the most unforgivable thing would be if there is no one asking for "a swig of some strong dwarven ale" in every inn/tavern in the game. That is a god damn necessity or this aint no baldur gate.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats shinobi602 xD

twitter.com

Wushu Studios on Twitter

“We're so delighted to share we've been working alongside the incredibly talented @larianstudios on @baldursgate3! A chance to work on an iconic franchise like Baldur's Gate is a rare dream & we're honored to support such a visionary team. https://t.co/DKsFiNK7mu #BaldursGate3”
Thanks mate! Really an honor to play a role on something like this.

giphy.webp

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

Well, BG and D&D are two different things - The gameplay in BG is a specific adaptation of D&D. People are allowed to like the specific adaptation used in BG2 and to expect that the next game in the same franchise will use something similar, no?
As for lore - Baldur's Gate was a specific story in the world of Forgotten Realms. If I buy a Drizzt book, and it has nothing to do with Drizzt or his companions, I'd say it's a bit weird they labeled it a Drizzt story and not just a Forgotten Realms story. BG3 seems to be a D&D FR game that has very little to do with the original BGs in terms of gameplay, story or even tone (the dialogues and companions are written very differently.)
All of that is not bad, BG3 seems to be like a very good game on it's own - I just find it very cynical that the name Baldur's Gate was used just for brand recognition and nothing else. I think people would be way less mad if the game was called D&D: Whatever.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018

Baldur's Gate: Subtitle, would be fine.
Baldur's Gate: THREE Is the mother fucking sequel to the GOAT and should play like the GOAT.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Well, BG and D&D are two different things - The gameplay in BG is a specific adaptation of D&D. People are allowed to like the specific adaptation used in BG3 and to expect that the next game in the same franchise will use something similar, no?
As for lore - Baldur's Gate was a specific story in the world of Forgotten Realms. If I buy a Drizzt book, and it has nothing to do with Drizzt or his companions, I'd say it's a bit weird they labeled it a Drizzt story and not just a Forgotten Realms story. BG3 seems to be a D&D FR game that has very little to do with the original BGs in terms of gameplay, story or even tone (the dialogues and companions are written very differently.) All of that is not bad, BG3 seems to be like a very good game on it's own - I just find it very cynical that the name Baldur's Gate was used just for brand recognition and nothing else. I think people would be way less mad if the game was called D&D: Whatever.
I can understand being upset at the gameplay change (though I disagree, as I think that this is just a different and potentially more accurate method of achieving the same thing the OG game tried to achieve).

But the Bhaalspawn campaign was over. It was definitively wrapped up in Throne of Bhaal. I don't think any potential Baldur's Gate III was going to follow up on that directly.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I mean there are 9th level spells and even Time Gates exist in FR's setting which allow time travel. It's not impossible for Minsc and Boo to fall into one.

The game takes place 100 years after the events of BG2, so even if there were returning cast a lot of the majority would be either dead or much older (since Elven Races can live upwards to 750 years)

Descent into Avernus is also something to consider as well because BGIII apparently picks up where that campaign ends.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I can understand being upset at the gameplay change (though I disagree, as I think that this is just a different and potentially more accurate method of achieving the same thing the OG game tried to achieve).

But the Bhaalspawn campaign was over. I don't think any potential Baldur's Gate III was going to follow up on that directly.
I agree. That's why I felt like the onus of justifying this game being called Baldur's Gate was on Larian. If you're not going to follow up on the story or the gameplay, that means you're using the name just for the name, and I think that's a little cynical. This game should have been it's own franchise, it's a new take on D&D video games that has nothing to do with BG's take on D&D.
I don't blame Larian as much as I blame the attitudes in the industry that make it preferable to take the name of a beloved older series for no reason than to just do something new and start a new franchise.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Another way to look at it is: Why is this game called Baldur's Gate 3?

The answer is: because it grabs a load of attention. e.g. this thread is top in trending threads.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are 9th level spells and even Time Gates exist in FR's setting which allow time travel. It's not impossible for Minsc and Boo to fall into one.

The game takes place 100 years after the events of BG2, so even if there were returning cast a lot of the majority would be either dead or much older (since Elven Races can live upwards to 750 years)

Descent into Avernus is also something to consider as well because BGIII apparently picks up where that campaign ends.

Minsc is actually kickin around modern Forgotten Realms afaik. He and Boo were turned into a statue for 100 years or so and then got de-petrified.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Minsc is actually kickin around modern Forgotten Realms afaik. He and Boo were turned into a statue for 100 years or so and then got de-petrified.

Well the timeline matches up. Minsc is just an over the top and awesomely crazy guy, I just want to see what Larian would do with his dialog, now the better question is if they could somehow get Jim Cummings to reprise the VA if such a thing happened. If I had to pick a secondary VA if Jim wasn't available, I guess John DiMaggio could possibly pull off a decent Minsc.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
No problem asking! All I can say is we're all providing a support capacity role. Outside of that, that's up to Larian team to share :)
No pressure, but of all games I can currently think of, this is what I'm most hyped for, and you're now the person I picture when I think about "Who made this".
Seriously though, congratulations on being involved in this.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Well the timeline matches up. Minsc is just an over the top and awesomely crazy guy, I just want to see what Larian would do with his dialog, now the better question is if they could somehow get Jim Cummings to reprise the VA if such a thing happened. If I had to pick a secondary VA if Jim wasn't available, I guess John DiMaggio could possibly pull off a decent Minsc.

I don't see why Cummings wouldn't come back if Minsc actually had a role in the game. He still does video game voice work.
I don't know if he did new voice work for Minsc in Siege of Dragonspear, but I think he may have?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I agree. That's why I felt like the onus of justifying this game being called Baldur's Gate was on Larian. If you're not going to follow up on the story or the gameplay, that means you're using the name just for the name, and I think that's a little cynical. This game should have been it's own franchise, it's a new take on D&D video games that has nothing to do with BG's take on D&D.
I don't blame Larian as much as I blame the attitudes in the industry that make it preferable to take the name of a beloved older series for no reason than to just do something new and start a new franchise.

This is almost certainly on WotC rather than Larian, right?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
This is almost certainly on WotC rather than Larian, right?

Very likely yeah, with their overall D&D push and Descent into Avernus being a big thing recently.

A crime since PoE2 is so bloody good....their marketing was the problem though: it's a true pirate RPG, the ads write themselves surely.
I'd have loved a "true pirate RPG", but unfortunately I found PoE2 severely lacking.

I love Deadfire warts and all, but don't really think of it as a "pirate game". I mean, you can be a pirate, but the naval/ship stuff isn't really the focus of the game (it's rightly considered one of its weakest points.) I think of it it more in terms of its caribbean/polynesian setting and the various colonialism themes.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Well, BG and D&D are two different things - The gameplay in BG is a specific adaptation of D&D. People are allowed to like the specific adaptation used in BG2 and to expect that the next game in the same franchise will use something similar, no?
As for lore - Baldur's Gate was a specific story in the world of Forgotten Realms. If I buy a Drizzt book, and it has nothing to do with Drizzt or his companions, I'd say it's a bit weird they labeled it a Drizzt story and not just a Forgotten Realms story. BG3 seems to be a D&D FR game that has very little to do with the original BGs in terms of gameplay, story or even tone (the dialogues and companions are written very differently.)
All of that is not bad, BG3 seems to be like a very good game on it's own - I just find it very cynical that the name Baldur's Gate was used just for brand recognition and nothing else. I think people would be way less mad if the game was called D&D: Whatever.

But isn't Baldur's Gate a place? It's set in Baldur's Gate like the previous game and, presumably, the D&D campaigns. I think that's the link. :)