• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BG3 structure and combat/gameplay

• Isometric RPG + Turn Based combat

• Isometric RPG + RTWP

• Third person RPG (similar to Dragon Age) + RTWP

• Third Person RPG + Turn based combat

• Action-RPG

• Both turn based + RTWP + isometric

• Both turn based + RTWP + third person

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with offering both options is that you kind of have to balance the encounter rate for one or the other. RTwP allows for large amounts of quick trash fights, while turn-based is more suited to smaller amounts of more crafted fights.

I'd be cool with an option to choose, but Larian would need to be very open about what their game is balanced toward, just like the Pathfinder team was.

If both are offered I'd expect it to be balanced toward RTWP a but like POE2 have the TB option but it won't be fully balanced if at all toward TB. Can Friday get here already damnit lol! I cannot wait to see what they are doing. I've been on a crpg binge for the last two months. Finished POE2 on a POTD solo run. I've put 300 hours into Divinity 2 but never finished it. Deleted all saves to only start over from scratch and am making my way through the game on Tactician solo. Also started Pathfinder, backed the new one and will finish Pathfinder once I'm done with Divinity.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Long as it's not like a pure action game or some shit I'm in. RTWP or turn based are both fine with me.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Side-scrolling beat-em-up.
It's time for the return.

ss_270ee3cfa227dcce12ef270b46576ad42ac837ce.1920x1080.jpg

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Turn based strategy like the HBS games.

Ok, honestly? No trolling? RTWP iso just like BG1 and 2. Larian isn't Bethesda, they know not to fuck this up.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I would love to see something that would be a combination of Pillars of Eternity (isometric view, real-time with pause combat), Original Sin II (different origin stories, gameplay centered around player choice and creativity, Dungeon Master mode, etc.) and Neverwinter Nights 2 (dialogues in third person, cutscenes, bigger focus on companions).

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
RTwP because it's Baldur's Gate and Turn Based because it's Larian.

Still think the fact it's BG should take presedence, as it's a legendary gaming IP, but if Larian decided they are not equipped to create a combat system as fun as the ones they are used to make unless it's turn based then I'm ok with it.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I expect an in-engine trailer with a few half second long snips of actualy gameplay as usual nowadays.

Isometric turn based.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm a philistine, but I really hope it's not RTwP. That system worked well in the original BG series because the AD&D ruleset meant that 90% of most combat encounters was everyone autoattacking, and RTwP kept things nice and quick.

But if they're going to modernize the systems -- i.e., give the various classes a suite of commonly-used abilities to cycle through -- RTwP will likely slow everything down to a painful crawl if you want or need to play quasi-optimally. I found the combat in Pillars of Eternity to be a bit of a slog for this reason, and it made me struggle to finish those games. By contrast, the Divinity 2 combat was a lot of fun even though it required extensive micromanaging, because that's the bread and butter of turn-based systems.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
RTwP because it's Baldur's Gate and Turn Based because it's Larian.

Still think the fact it's BG should take presedence, as it's a legendary gaming IP, but if Larian decided they are not equipped to create a combat system as fun as the ones they are used to make unless it's turn based then I'm ok with it.
I think this is where a lot of people are gonna differ.

Do people see Baldur's Gate as it's own thing, or as a D&D product? Because the original was an attempt to create an authentic D&D experience using controls similar to RTS's, a prevailing genre at the time. In doing so, it created a whole different feel to combat than the strict D&D rules.

So, I have a feeling the turn-based vs Real Time With Pause preference is going to come down to how removed from D&D you view the Baldur's Gate series. Obviously, a turn-based system would be able to skew closer to the D&D experience, but then it wouldn't quite be the same as the old Baldur's Gate games.

It's a really interesting conundrum and I don't see an option that entirely pleases both crowds.

I got some inside info that it's going to be a dating sim.
"And there is ever so much of Minsc to search..."

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Isometric party CRPG with RTwP is what I expect. Because everything else =why even call it Baldur's Gate 3?

That said, calling it Baldur's Gate 3 in the first place fells like a mistake. It should just have been Dungeon & Dragons: Whatever sub-title.

With the name Baldur's Gate 3 they already carry a big burden and it will be impossible to make everyone - especially old-school fans - happy.

Jul 30, 2019
Vancouver
I prefer turn-based for an authentic table top experience but I would also be fine with RTwP because it's what I know the BG series for. I voted for both just so everyone is happy.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think this is where a lot of people are gonna differ.

Do people see Baldur's Gate as it's own thing, or as a D&D product? Because the original was an attempt to create an authentic D&D experience using controls similar to RTS's, a prevailing genre at the time. In doing so, it created a whole different feel to combat than the strict D&D rules.

So, I have a feeling the turn-based vs Real Time With Pause preference is going to come down to how removed from D&D you view the Baldur's Gate series. Obviously, a turn-based system would be able to skew closer to the D&D experience, but then it wouldn't quite be the same as the old Baldur's Gate games.

It's a really interesting conundrum and I don't see an option that entirely pleases both crowds.

I can only speak for myself. And I see Baldur's Gate as Baldur's Gate. I had not played D&D before so all I know of it is through the games. And I believe it create a combat system that works well for it. So if someone says it has a combat like Baldur's Gate you know what to expect.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
What I want is a third person/isometric turn based RPG because that is what Larian is best at making, though I would be absolutely in favor of a third person RPG if they were good at it. RTwP is fine too but it's not as good as turn based and it's not as Dungeon's and Dragons either.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I still don't understand why people want an authentic D&D combat experience. D&D combat is horrible :\ I'm saying this as someone who considers himself a bigger fan of tabletop RPGs than video game ones.
I prefer RTwP, but I'm preparing myself for disappointment, since I think it's going to be TB. it's more popular and would be easier to transfer to consoles. That pretty much seals the deal, considering how PoE2 did (even though it's a top 5 CRPG) and how much budget BG3 appears to have.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
If it isn't turn-based + iso I probably won't give it another thought. I just can't get into party RPGs that aren't turned based now that I actually have the option.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I still don't understand why people want an authentic D&D combat experience. D&D combat is horrible :\
I prefer RTwP, but I'm preparing myself for disappointment, since I think it's going to be TB. it's more popular and would be easier to transfer to consoles. That pretty much seals the deal, considering how PoE2 did (even though it's a top 5 CRPG) and how much budget BG3 appears to have.
It's kind of crazy to me that we're in a time where turn-based is almost considered more marketable than real-time. That D&D resurgence has ripples, man.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking turn-based combat with both isometric and third person 3d perspectives. Think how DA:O worked on PC, just with turn-based combat.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Praying for turn-based combat.

Baldur's Gate and BG II are legendary games, but Original Sin 2's combat is honestly way better.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I expect it to be like D:OS but with another skin and more improvements. How can one not be happy about this? There's no better dev for BG3 out there and if it wasn't for them the series would stay dead.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Turn-based FPS with gacha rolls for characters and you can spend real money to refill your spell uses without resting.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Out of curiosity, what could BGIII be that would appeal to you? Not being cheeky!

Im just salty we're not getting a real dark alliance 3 lol. As for BG3, I'd like to see a bigger RPG perhaps in Third Person. But I know that would take away from all the fans dying for an isometric rpg and I wouldn't want to take that from them.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Im just salty we're not getting a real dark alliance 3 lol. As for BG3, I'd like to see a bigger RPG perhaps in Third Person. But I know that would take away from all the fans dying for an isometric rpg and I wouldn't want to take that from them.
Well here's hoping that the new Dark Alliance game is good despite the hilariously awful CG trailer!

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Does anyone know how well the Divinity Switch ports did? They're really good, and I'd love to see BG3 on it if they can swing it.

IDK if sales for the Original Sin 2 port were ever reported but hopefully it did well enough for them to consider working with the system again. I'm still waiting on LRG to ship my cartridge version...

Feb 5, 2020
I'm hoping it will be like the originals but with a lot more detail and the ability to zoom in all the way to a tight third-person view. The ability to control characters individually in real-time but with action timers would be a bonus.

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RTWP is a slog, can't stand it. So I'm hoping for turn based combat, and if Larian can do one thing, it is turn based combat.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Do you mean in terms of resources (a certain number of casts before you have to rest and refresh) or in terms of the frequency of spellcasting enemies (who are much more frequent in Divinity than Baldur's Gate)?
Neither, I meant actual D&D spells that will be recognizable by people. I don't think the game will follow D&D rules when it comes to spell usage and resting, but we'll see, I don't even know how D&D works these days but the spell system where you need to rest frequently to be able to use them again doesn't translate very well to a video game (imo) unless the character is high level (like in BG2 where you start at level 7 or whatever).

But we'll see, I'm ready to be surprised whatever they decide to do.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Neither, I meant actual D&D spells that will be recognizable by people. I don't think the game will follow D&D rules when it comes to spell usage and resting, but we'll see, I don't even know how D&D works these days but the spell system where you need to rest frequently to be able to use them again doesn't translate very well to a video game (imo) unless the character is high level (like in BG2 where you start at level 7 or whatever).

But we'll see, I'm ready to be surprised whatever they decide to do.

I doubt that Larian would get the D&D license for the game and not lean into it pretty heavily. We are definitely going to see classic D&D fare like magic missile, fireball, cloudkill, mage armor etc. I agree that spells per rest isn't a mechanic that translates well to video games though, so I hope they don't go that route.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a sizeable amount of content revealed as they don't have the luxury of being ambiguous considering the importance of Baldur's Gate for CRPG fans.

I don't mind turn based as I love the DOS games but I would prefer the game to be played like the original saga or at the very least like DAO if possible.

Super stoked for this. BGII is my favorite game of all time and I can't believe it's finally happening.