• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BG3 structure and combat/gameplay

• Isometric RPG + Turn Based combat

• Isometric RPG + RTWP

• Third person RPG (similar to Dragon Age) + RTWP

• Third Person RPG + Turn based combat

• Action-RPG

• Both turn based + RTWP + isometric

• Both turn based + RTWP + third person

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 26, 2017
Baldurs-Gate-3-Steam.jpg

Tomorrow Larian is going to show the first gameplay trailer for Baldur's Gate 3; how do you think the game will play/look?

Do you expect to see the classic "Baldur's Gate" formula or a brand new take for the series?
Action RPG? Turn-based? RTWP?

So far we know that Larian Studios expanded massivealy with 5 worldwide studios and over 350 employees and according to Hasbro, Baldur's Gate 3 will launch in Early Access by the end of 2020. The game is scheduled to release on PC.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a rtwp top down game with multiplayer support but a turn based version isnt unlikely either.

I just hope they have both systems like the new pathfinder game and poe2.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
My guess: 3D Camera with a tactical view for combat a la Dragon Age. Maybe something closer to Divinity 2 though, being a AAA production, I would imagine they want to flex a bit more. I would prefer Turn Based (and, frankly, don't see how 5E would work without it) but wouldn't mind RTwP.

Would be pretty disappointed if it's a complete departure like an action RPG.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I expect greatness either way.

I hope for 3D Isometric (camera rotate) w/ TBC.

Basically use the Divinity: Original Sin engine and I'll be happy as a clam.

Oct 27, 2017
I am going in with no expectations as I know Larian has a great vision for the grand daddy of cRPG IP's. What I hope for is RTWP but honestly in this day and age and again coming from Larian I think it will offer both options. Now in terms of isometric vs 3D I cannot say but we is there not proof of them doing motion capture in one of the BG3 related info videos?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a dynamic perspective along the lines of the PC version of DAO is out of the question.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I hope it's not just Divinity 3. At least visually it should be reminiscent of BG1&2.

Combat wise it will probably be turn based but with D&D spells I guess.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
I think it'll be really impressive from a gameplay perspective, but disappointing in the world building and character writing departments.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I am going in with no expectations as I know Larian has a great vision for the grand daddy of cRPG IP's. What I hope for is RTWP but honestly in this day and age and again coming from Larian I think it will offer both options. Now in terms of isometric vs 3D I cannot say but we is there not proof of them doing motion capture in one of the BG3 related info videos?
The problem with offering both options is that you kind of have to balance the encounter rate for one or the other. RTwP allows for large amounts of quick trash fights, while turn-based is more suited to smaller amounts of more crafted fights.

I'd be cool with an option to choose, but Larian would need to be very open about what their game is balanced toward, just like the Pathfinder team was.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know what i expect, but from the poll options i think isometric turn based is the most likely.

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for turn-based. Stuff like RTWP misses the boat for me when it comes to stuff like D&D. And Divinity 2 feels closer to a D&D game than the other stuff that tries to adapt the ruleset but in realtime.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Not sure what to expect, honestly. Between Larian's strength being turn-based combat, BG's legacy as the iconic RTwP CRPG and the massive amount of funding and manpower this project surely has, I imagine it could go any possible direction.

I'd be most satisfied with something like Temple of Elemental Evil, but if I had to put money down I'd guess iso RTwP or something akin to Dragon Age would be most likely.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
easy prediction :some people will be mad

I think it will play almost identical to divinity original sin 2, and that would be a very good think imo, playing enhanced versions of BG 1 & 2 and the combat is very dated

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Isometric/turn-based I think is the most likely. I'd prefer RT, but l'll take either. Would be kinda bummed if the camera is pulled in any more than that.

anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
will be the same model as the pillars of eternity, do not expect a game similar to baldur's gate 1 and 2, this game will present something new, similar to the current crpg on the market.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I expect isometric + turn based with good graphics.
I want isometric + RTWP with good graphics.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
TIL

twitter.com

Baldur's Gate 3 on Twitter

“BG3 is a pretty big game, so we wrangled ourselves an extra 30 minutes at PAX Live. This means the start time for the live Gameplay Reveal at PAX is 3:00pm ET! We will let you know if it changes.”

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I think it will be #1
Purists will want #2
The pipe dream is the last one.

Regardless prepare for a shit-storm.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I think their aim is going to be to translate the D&D 5th edition experience as faithfully as possible so turn based feels more likely to me here.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
To be disappointed.

Replace "expect" by "hope for", then my answer is both turn based + RTWP + isometric.

Jun 17, 2018
I'm really hoping for turn based gameplay. I'll still play it if it's real time but I far prefer the combat in DOS. I also hope that it features coop for at least 2 players.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Hoping for RTWP, but totally expecting turn-based.

Don't care about the perspective much, but it'll probably be isometric.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
With the absence of any actual hints, I'm going with isometric + turn-based because that seems like the Larian choice. I'd be very happy with that, but I'm willing to give whatever they go with a chance; Larian is a studio I can trust100%.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how the action cost system translates into this game. DOS 1 has an action point system with actions taking up a number of points. However, 5e has a rather static system with action, bonus action, and movement all allowed in a turn if able, with reactions between to make either opportunity attacks on a fleeing enemy or being able to hold an action out of turn for better synergy.

Overall, I'm expecting turn based with a moveable, isometric camera. I'm good for either, but Larian does seem to prefer it and it'll likely translate the D&D tabletop experience better if that's their goal.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to expect. I have some preferences of course but i don't know if they will be met. What i'm most looking forward to actually is to what group of people i will belong. The ones being disappointed or the ones being satisfied? Either way i'm looking forward to the event.