• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
No. Fantastic cinematic storytelling and rich dialogue.
Sure, WITH very limited character options.

If you are looking for solidarity here you won't find it with me.
While I'm glad their recent games have been fully voiced, in general, I don't give a damn about having a voiced player character as well.

It's a bit more of an abstract system, sure, but one I have absolutely no issue compromising with.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The "Turn Based" box on the one screenshot pretty much confirms that there will be an option, otherwise why specify that at all
We will find out for sure in a few hours. For now it's all speculation. I am also not a fan of the "optional" RTwP. Like someone already said earlier: You have to balance the game in a certain way because the sytems are so different. It would be twice the work to balance it properly for RTwP and TB. But lets just wait for the official reveal.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the turn-based box means it's an option, I just think it's differentiating between free movement and combat.

Oct 25, 2017
This looks good overall, but the dialog options being in past tense is the sort of goofy affectation that has made me dislike previous Larian games, so I guess we'll see.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I don't think the turn-based box means it's an option, I just think it's differentiating between free movement and combat.
To differentiate between free movement and turn-based situations outside of combat.

Original Sin 1 and 2 never made that distinction, why would BG3?

Edit: To jump in on the other discussion... I'm replaying BG right now, and there isn't a ton of actual roleplaying in that game other than making your character. Things have progressed a lot since then. Pillars has some of my favorite dialogue trees outside of Planescape.

Are you real??
Yes
No
Yes[Lie]
No[Lie]

is my jam

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My brother and I are around 40 hours into Original Sin 2 and fucking loving it. Never played a BG, but this is looking awesome to me.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not fully voiced as the protagonist was mute. And we wouldn't be asking of them anything more than other AAA RPG already have.

I think when you make a jump to cinematic dialogue you should also have a fully voiced protagonist.

I would be shocked if the protagonist is voiced - it vastly multiplies the voice acting necessary to ship the game, especially since the protagonist can be multiple races (I don't think you can record VA lines that would work for both an elf and a dwarf, say). It works in Mass Effect because you only need two versions of each line, and because the ME dialogue wheel usually has fewer options than this sort of game.

I agree that it's disorienting to have everything else in the game fully voiced and your protagonist mostly mute, and it also undermines your connection to your character's emotional state, but I don't think the alternative is realistic, sadly.

WhatsHis Face

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a 90 minute panel btw. If you've ever seen a Swen presentation before, expect him to go on for quite a while about all the systems and possibilities in the game. You'll get quite a lot of gameplay is my guess.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I've never played one of these games before, but I've had this on my radar since a random Youtube ad a couple weeks ago before an episode of Critical Role. Although I do remember a friend being super into it when were kids. How do the older games hold up? Is it worth picking up the enhanced version of 1 & 2 on the PS4 for a brand new player who is unfamiliar with the originals?

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Looks great, honestly if this game is D:OS2 reskinned with D&D setting and ruleset with better itemization it'll probably end up being one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

Complete faith in Larian on this.

Oct 31, 2017
This looks good overall, but the dialog options being in past tense is the sort of goofy affectation that has made me dislike previous Larian games, so I guess we'll see.
I'm not strictly a fan of this approach, but in all honesty I also don't give a shit about it.
I think for all intents and purposes it's practically inconsequential.

In practical terms the difference between a non-voiced "Yes, I agree" and a non-voiced *I told him I agreed* is entirely flavor. It doesn't change a thing.

I mean, I played and loved Ultima VII for years and the dialogue options there are a brief list of topics: "Name", "Job", "Thing you just mentioned" etc.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I've never played one of these games before, but I've had this on my radar since a random Youtube ad a couple weeks ago before an episode of Critical Role. Although I do remember a friend being super into it when were kids. How do the older games hold up? Is it worth picking up the enhanced version of 1 & 2 on the PS4 for a brand new player who is unfamiliar with the originals?

1 is kinda rough around the edges and, considering it's low-level D&D for large parts of it, might not be THAT fun. Still loved it once it picks up, it really feels like a pen-and-paper RPG adventure converted to a videogame, even if the ruleset isn't 100% like the (then) 2° Edition of D&D.

BG2, however? It's fucking great. Though, be warned, if you have NO idea how to play D&D and even less the 2° Edition, then it's gonna be a bit of an uphill climb to learn the mechanics. Nothing a guide can't fix, however, and you're gonna get hours of fun after that. Absolutely recommended!

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I got into the Baldur's Gate games a few years ago, around the time the first Pillars got released. I really enjoy them, but I personally don't think the combat holds up particularly well. It tries to translate 2E D&D rules to a real time RTS-like system and I don't think it works well. Some people swear by it though! Hell, the Icewind Dale sister series is basically just a big combat gauntlet for people who are really into it.

On the other hand, the rest of it is still great. The exploration, characters, environments are all still fantastic. I have it on the Switch as well and I think the console controls work surprisingly well!

If you can handle rough combat and want a cool piece of interactive Forgotten Realms fiction, they're still wonderful, IMO.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I actually quite like Larian's approach of describing what you say rather than giving you an exact line of dialogue. Gives you a nice template to apply your imagination to. Not sure how I feel about it being in the past tense though.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
2 holds up well yeah.
There's complaints about the enhanced version of 1 though.

If you can, play Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape Torment on PC too.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
ME1 and 2 don't even come close to the ''freedom'' of games like Fallout New Vegas or Disco Elysium, let alone CRPGs.

I can't answer to that as I have not played neither, although I'll be picking up Disco Elysium very soon. But it has as much freedom as Baldur's Gate 2 or Knights of the Old Republic, two games with a non-voiced protagonist.

I would be shocked if the protagonist is voiced - it vastly multiplies the voice acting necessary to ship the game, especially since the protagonist can be multiple races (I don't think you can record VA lines that would work for both an elf and a dwarf, say). It works in Mass Effect because you only need two versions of each line, and because the ME dialogue wheel usually has fewer options than this sort of game.

I agree that it's disorienting to have everything else in the game fully voiced and your protagonist mostly mute, and it also undermines your connection to your character's emotional state, but I don't think the alternative is realistic, sadly.

Dragon Age Inquisition had multiple races and voiced protagonist. Of course it makes the game more expensive, but BG3 seems to be aiming for an AAA experience, and that, for me, implies voiced protagonist.

And I disagree about dialogue wheel usually having fewer choices. Take Planescape: Torment, for example. Most dialogues could very well fit a dialogue wheel. And I wouldn't be surprised if Shepard has more lines in either ME1 and ME2 than the nameless one in Torment.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Looks great, much better than I expected, but the past tense used for the Dialogue is very off putting. Some of the UI is a bit rough, especially the straight text dialogue choice, but I'm eager to see it in motion

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I actually quite like Larian's approach of describing what you say rather than giving you an exact line of dialogue. Gives you a nice template to apply your imagination to. Not sure how I feel about it being in the past tense though.
I really don't like it either. In these types of games I like to actually read that stuff in my mind like I'm saying it. Not being told I have said something. I'm playing a role. I know what I said so let me "say" it.

Oct 31, 2017
As I said few pages ago, I honestly think you could just update the visuals/technical aspects of BG2 and still sell it today as an excellent RPG with a more than competent modern UI.
That said, this applies to the PC version. I have absolutely no comment on how that may control on a PS4 with a standard gamepad controller.
Given that it plays basically like a a RTS where you are in control of a small selection of units (with a lot of micromanagement options for each) I wouldn't expect it to translate particularly well.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not strictly a fan of this approach, but in all honesty I also don't give a shit about it.
I think for all intents and purposes it's practically inconsequential.

In practical terms the difference between a non-voiced "Yes, I agree" and a non-voiced *I told him I agreed* is entirely flavor. It doesn't change a thing.

I mean, I played and loved Ultima VII for years and the dialogue options there are a brief list of topics: "Name", "Job", "Thing you just mentioned" etc.

I agree that it's flavour, but I don't think that means it's inconsequential. Flavour is a significant part of what you experience while playing a game, and it's largely flavour issues that have prevented me from enjoying previous Larian titles. So, seeing their normal brand of nonsense leaking into BG3 already makes me concerned I'm not going to enjoy this game either, which is (for me) sad.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I can't answer to that as I have not played neither, although I'll be picking up Disco Elysium very soon. But it has as much freedom as Baldur's Gate 2 or Knights of the Old Republic, two games with a non-voiced protagonist.

Dragon Age Inquisition had multiple races and voiced protagonist. Of course it makes the game more expensive, but BG3 seems to be aiming for an AAA experience, and that, for me, implies voiced protagonist.

And I disagree about dialogue wheel usually having fewer choices. Take Planescape: Torment, for example. Most dialogues could very well fit a dialogue wheel. And I wouldn't be surprised if Shepard has more lines in either ME1 and ME2 than the nameless one in Torment.
No way Planescape would have worked with a dialogue wheel. Sure, there were plenty of conversations which had two or three options, but the most important and climactic ones were huge. Not to mention the sheer length of what you say often wouldn't be able to fit on a dialogue wheel:

jpg

JpyMdmC.png

Torment-Sere.jpg

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
..That said, this applies to the PC version. I have absolutely no comment on how that may control on a PS4 with a standard gamepad controller.
Given that it plays basically like a a RTS where you are in control of a small selection of units (with a lot of micromanagement options for each) I wouldn't expect it to translate particularly well.

I'm playing BG1 on the switch right now, and while I haven't gotten to the insane mage battles of BG2 it is pretty damn solid so far actually.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
No way Planescape would have worked with a dialogue wheel. Sure, there were plenty of conversations which had two or three options, but the most important and climactic ones were huge. Not to mention the sheer length of what you say often wouldn't be able to fit on a dialogue wheel:

jpg

JpyMdmC.png

Torment-Sere.jpg

the conversation to recruit Dak'kon is one of the best things I've read and experienced in an RPG.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

jpg

JpyMdmC.png

Torment-Sere.jpg

I did say most, I was even gonna mention the one with Ravel as the exception. But take a look at the Ignus one, for example. Those are just quesiton. They could very well fit a dialogue wheel under "investigate". The third one is the same. You have 3 key answers + investigate. Also could fit in a dialogue wheel. And Shepard has lines that long. Of course, the line itself wouldn't appear as an option, but that's another discussion about clarity.

So if anything your pics reinforce my point.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Having a voiced protagonist is a terrible idea for a game that's gonna have like 9 playable races.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Yup, just what I expected. Very excited for this. I hope D&D has roughly the same ethnic diversity of Divinity 2. Don't want to play a boring white humans, dwarfs and elves fantasy game.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I like the way they've phrased the dialogue, honestly. It feels more like a summation than the actual line, which would be fine if the game had a voiced protagonist, but I imagine that it doesn't.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, just what I expected. Very excited for this. I hope D&D has roughly the same ethnic diversity of Divinity 2. Don't want to play a boring white humans, dwarfs and elves fantasy game.

You can be whoever you want in D&D, I don't see why a game based on D&D wouldn't let you do the same thing. Especially Larian game.

And about the dialogue - maybe it's our hero telling the whole story? Kinda like Dragon Age 2. That's why dialogue is like this.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Looks solid but it also seems a little too much like Divinity in the screens. Hopefully the gameplay video shows that it's more different.