• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Not knocking you or anything, but I legit don't get why you don't think the close ups aren't better in every way

It adds so much more character and nuance to the conversations rather than just regulating everything (like facial expressions and body movements) to text like they did in Divinity

That said I'm very pleased with how this looks, can't wait to see it in motion
Agreed, I'm actually very surprised by how many people are complaining about this.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not knocking you or anything, but I legit don't get why you don't think the close ups aren't better in every way

It adds so much more character and nuance to the conversations rather than just regulating everything (like facial expressions and body movements) to text like they did in Divinity

I personally think that text can, realistically, do a much, much better job adding character and nuance to events and conversations. With text, you can just throw tons of "he says, gingerly scratching his chin" kinds of characterization/contextualization lines everywhere all willy nilly, not to mention other behaviors and actions (like "he chugs the beer and slams the pint on the table, visibly annoyed" or whatever, I'm not a writer lol), even in the most minor conversations - it's really all up to the writer(s) how detailed they want to be.

With cinematic close-ups (assuming all conversations happen in the close-up perspective), you're gonna need unique animations for all of that sort of stuff, and that shit is downright expensive and time-consuming, so it's obviously not going to happen very frequently outside main story scenes and important conversations. There's also the expectation that all lines will be voiced, which might put a potential limit to the amount of different characters you can actually talk to.

I'd say I'm probably fine with either, personally, but I definitely see the strengths of just using text to do these.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Not necessarily. We don't have confirmation either way.

I would imagine that the UI is going to be changed in the future. It's still using some Divinity assets, I think.

Yeah, looks like it is. I'm not too worried either way but I'd like something more similar to the gorgeous UI in the old BG / infinity engine games.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Agreed, I'm actually very surprised by how many people are complaining about this.
I think there's something to be said about how many resources would be needed to create something like that vs a few lines of text.

That said, I think they're gonna get a lot of heat for any deviation from the originals, even things like graphical or presentation leaps.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I personally think that text can, realistically, do a much, much better job adding character and nuance to events and conversations. With text, you can just throw tons of "he says, gingerly scratching his chin" kinds of characterization/contextualization lines everywhere all willy nilly, not to mention other behaviors and actions (like "he chugs the beer and slams the pint on the table, visibly annoyed" or whatever, I'm not a writer lol), even in the most minor conversations - it's really all up to the writer(s) how detailed they want to be.

With cinematic close-ups (assuming all conversations happen in the close-up perspective), you're gonna need unique animations for all of that sort of stuff, and that shit is downright expensive and time-consuming, so it's obviously not going to happen very frequently outside main story scenes and important conversations. There's also the expectation that all lines will be voiced, which might put a potential limit to the amount of different characters you can actually talk to.

I'd say I'm probably fine with either, personally, but I definitely see the strengths of just using text to do these.
While I see your point in regards to the cost factor for certain subtle animations, it still seems to me that the benefits of actually seeing the characters you're talking to up close outweigh it, at least personally speaking

They may not have the budget for a huge myriad of unique animations (though who knows at this point) but they surely have enough of a variety to still give the characters...well...character, I have no doubt. And considering how many characters were voiced in Divinity 2, I wouldn't be surprised if this game is 100% voiced

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Pillars of Eternity backgrounds with better character models with a rtwp adaption of 5e would have probably pissed off the least amount of people I imagine.

I've tried both PoE 1 & 2 and bounced off hard, even with the admittedly strong writing. D: OS 2 meanwhile was probably one of my favourite games of the generation.

I'll still go to bat for static backgrounds (REmake is still a GOAT for me), but they look very dated in isometric settings, I think largely because their key exploit -being able to add vast amounts of world detail at no additional processing overhead - is severely limited at wider, top-down angles. Larian's approach feels like a smart, modern progression of the classics, that benefits from being able to adjust camera and move freely about the world without hitting loading screens (a severe issue on console ports of PoE that were never an issue in Divinity).

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Saved and re-uploaded to imgur in case site takes them down. Below is few picked ones, rest in the source at the bottom.

uRbTbmp.jpg

Source: https://imgur.com/a/RMQ8QCi

Original source: https://www.jeuxactu.com/jeu/images-baldur-s-gate-3-20343-5.htm

Edit: Credit goes to https://www.resetera.com/threads/ba...from-tomorrows-gameplay-trailer.172107/page-5 thread, I decided to make "New news, new thread" step

That's an Emhyr van Emreis looking mother f-er.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
While I see your point in regards to the cost factor for certain subtle animations, it still seems to me that the benefits of actually seeing the characters you're talking to up close outweigh it, at least personally speaking

That's all fine and good and I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, I'm just explaining why some of us might prefer a top-down view where conversations take place entirely in text form.

Some like to read and imagine, some like a more obviously visual approach. Both have strengths and weaknesses, and liking one over the other is perfectly valid and fine.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Personally I'd much rather have the narrated descriptions from D:OS. They were great.

If this was made by like Naughty Dog and had only a handful of characters and an absurd budget then I'm probably with you. As is I don't think it'll be nearly as effective at communicating nuanced body language or expressions. It'll probably just be "good".

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
That's all fine and good and I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, I'm just explaining why some of us might prefer a top-down view where conversations take place entirely in text form.

Some like to read and imagine, some like a more obviously visual approach. Both have strengths and weaknesses, and liking one over the other is perfectly valid and fine.
That's fair, I get the point you're making as well, let's hope they still have a narrator like in Divinity then, might be a good compromise between the two :)

Personally I'd much rather have the narrated descriptions from D:OS. They were great.

If this was made by like Naughty Dog and had only a handful of characters and an absurd budget then I'm probably with you. As is I don't think it'll be nearly as effective at communicating nuanced body language or expressions. It'll probably just be "good".
On the one hand, yeah we can't be sure how well they'll be doing the animations in this since it's really something new from Larian, but maybe they'll surprise us, who knows xD

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I've tried both PoE 1 & 2 and bounced off hard, even with the admittedly strong writing. D: OS 2 meanwhile was probably one of my favourite games of the generation.

I'll still go to bat for static backgrounds (REmake is still a GOAT for me), but they look very dated in isometric settings, I think largely because their key exploit -being able to add vast amounts of world detail at no additional processing overhead - is severely limited at wider, top-down angles. Larian's approach feels like a smart, modern progression of the classics, that benefits from being able to adjust camera and move freely about the world without hitting loading screens (a severe issue on console ports of PoE that were never an issue in Divinity).
Sorry to ask that since it's in your tag, but did you play them on pad or PC?

I've tried them on both and PoE doesn't feel like it works at all on tv (unlike the usual kb+m + monitor).

Oct 25, 2017
It is hard for me to get upset (if there is no rtwp) about this being turn based because turn based is inherently far more true to the D&D inspiration than RTWP will ever be.

Plus, I prefer turn based encounters (they tend to be more meaningful on the whole) vs the plethora of trash mobs you typically get in rtwp games that you just auto through.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Looks amazing. Thank god it's isometric and not some third person action fest. Also good to see TB combat as Larian is excellent at that.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the UI looking exactly like DOS is bad. The games art in general look like DOS. A small part of me clinged to the hope that this game would have more painted overall style like pathfinder and less like divinity but I am not suprised. I'm glad that BG3 is being made but as a hardcore BG fan nothing in those pictures remind me of the first games.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It looks like D:OS2 with a DnD coat of paint, as expected.
I'm not sure I get this, outside of a few of the reused UI assets. D:OS2 was a CRPG heavily inspired by tabletop RPGs. Why would this be any different than that with a "D&D coat of paint"? It's like calling CoD "Doom with a War coat of paint". Like, the environments look less painterly, the character models are far more detailed and less stylized than Divinity. That D&D setting and ruleset makes this a completely different beast than Divinity altogether.

I guess what I'm saying is, if those screenshots came out and I didn't have any idea who was making this, I wouldn't say this looked liked the next Divinity game.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, it's going to scratch my dragon age itch.

It looks like a successor to Origins actually.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It looks like 3D turn based like their last two games with better dialogue scenes and potentially more cinematic abilities.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Looks pretty nice, but TB is going to mean I'll have to hold off on this game, if ever getting it. Larian are very talented but I was unable to enjoy their combat system in either DOS at all. Unless things are quite different here, maybe 5E will help, I'm not sure it would be worth it for me to invest in this.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The game is also what, 1.5 years or so probably from being fully out? A lot of the UI treatments could change. Like I really hope the portraits change.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
At least 3d portraits won't be as awful as 2's

6810f4818dae339bc65e75254d9326c3-jaheira.jpg

What the hell happened there?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I never understood why those Infinity Engine games even used RTWP anyway when DND is clearly classic turn based combat. I mean, it was sometimes fun in a hilariously exploitable and chaotic way, but not very representative of the DND experience overall.

I think I've read that it was influenced directly by Diablo.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I can't see how they could implement a hybrid Turn based RTWP system without watering down the combat by trying to cater to both styles.

I really hope this has 100% turn based combat. Divinity OS2 is best in class and I want more.

A bit concerned about the possibility of this being a hybrid system, though. That could turn out to be the worst of both worlds.

I don't think a lot of people saying "I'm glad there is an OPTION" are thinking about the implications of it.

Exactly. DOS2 works so well because everything is fine tuned and balanced around the turn based combat.

Last edited:

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If this is simply Divinity Original Sin with better itemization, better lore, better writing, it's an all-timer.

Oct 31, 2017
At least 3d portraits won't be as awful as 2's

6810f4818dae339bc65e75254d9326c3-jaheira.jpg

What the hell happened there?
Nothing, they just switched to a different artist for the sequel, which had a slightly different take on most of the cast.
And frankly he relied a bit less blatantly on touching up photos compared to the first.

Hey, Imoen's looks totally fine if you squint at it from 10' away.
That's not Imoen. That's Jaheira.
Or was that part of some joke/reference I'm missing?

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see how they could implement a hybrid Turn based RTWP system without watering down the combat by trying to cater to both styles.
Pathfinder Kingmaker does it successfully, albeit with a mod. But that's more a knock on how Kingmaker's RTwP is designed than the other way around.

I do wish it were just flatly turn-based.

If this is simply Divinity Original Sin with . . . better writing, it's an all-timer.
This is my single issue. I haven't finished either D:OS game because I can't stand the writing. It just annoys me so much.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Probably not.
Larian already made a huge bet i nthe past when they made their games fully voiced when everyone else was sparing the budget in that area.
Asking them to also offer fully voiced options for a main character that can have literally hundred of permutations when it comes to race, age, type, etc, would be a bit too daunting.

Not fully voiced as the protagonist was mute. And we wouldn't be asking of them anything more than other AAA RPG already have.

I think when you make a jump to cinematic dialogue you should also have a fully voiced protagonist.