• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how this game will sell. I feel there's not really much hype - "mainstream" hype. Baldur's Gate fans arent vocal online maybe? I really expected every piece of news about BG3 to bring shitton of comments and hype and speculation and I feel like Original Sin 3 would get more attention than this is getting.
All there's been is a cinematic announcement trailer, it's still early days for hype IMO.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Larian's art direction really suits this universe and close-up cutscenes are a perfect addition that I didn't even know I wanted.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how this game will sell. I feel there's not really much hype - "mainstream" hype. Baldur's Gate fans arent vocal online maybe? I really expected every piece of news about BG3 to bring shitton of comments and hype and speculation and I feel like Original Sin 3 would get more attention than this is getting.

They are not making this game for the mainstream at all.

The reveal trailer boosted over 2 million views, that's more than any DOS2 trailer ever released

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

iirc divinity 2 has sold very, very well. i'm sure it'll do fine

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
OS2 was a blast with friends, I have no experience with Baldur's Gate but this looks very promising in giving a different but still familiar experience, which I'm all in for :D

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The images look nice. I would change the UI for the dialog though, white text with nothing behind it is not too readable.

Looks fantastic! I have to listen to Baldur's Gate II theme music right now! Wow!
Now that you've said this, I hope the soundtrack has some of the vibes of BG2's soundtrack. I loved that OST.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep just looks like a reskinned Divinity. Hard pass for me. It's a shame this was the studio that got to make a BG sequel.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The negativity in this thread is beyond. Original Sin 2 was amazing, this company deserves confidence. Looking forward to the reveal trailer, I hope they answer a lot of questions.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018

I mean, in a world where a Critical Role animated series broke Kickstarter records ($11.3m dollars all told), I think its chances are pretty good. D&D has had a massive renaissance in the past five years, Larian have a great relationship with WotC and so with a little smart marketing, this could be a smash.

They just need romance options out the wazoo to hit the Dragon Age sweet spot.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
This is everything I wanted. A natural evolution of DOS2, with D&D 5E trappings.

The negativity in this thread is beyond. Original Sin 2 was amazing, this company deserves confidence. Looking forward to the reveal trailer, I hope they answer a lot of questions.
It's Baldur's Gate 3. It was inevitable people were going to be super critical of every little thing. Some people will be disappointed because it's not exactly what they wanted, but many, many more are going to be thrilled with it the direction it is going.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Yep that looks like a Baldur's Gate. Thank god they didn't fuck it up with a bunch of action bullshit.
To be fair, if you assumed Turn based was the only option, then BG was more action oriented, it was Real Time with pause, not turn based. So I could see how some people wouldn't like the change in gameplay style from the classic.

I think, given it's particularly mentioned in the UI and how well the Turn-based Mod where you could switch on the fly between RTWP/Turn based worked for Pathfinder Kingmaker, to the point they're going to put it straight into the sequel, there's a good chance they're just going to give us both. (particularly since BG used to be RTWP)

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This just looks like Divinity 3.
I get that but for me it is not a knock on it. I only know divinity and not BG so this obviously colors my opinion but Im hopping into this as my first foray into the world so having something familiar helps.

Having said that, I expected something a bit more than just what they have already done in the past. I say that more as a Larian fan than someone hoping for my first BG game to blow me away.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I hope no one from Larian reads any related BG3 threads from here. All of them are almost filed with concern trolling and now negative reactions to Larian as a develoeper? Fucking lmao.

Reading some reactions you'd think some B class studio develops BG3 as a cash grab, that only made duds in the past and not one of the best CRPG makers of the market that made the most acclaimed CRPG game by the book since BG2.

Oct 26, 2017
They added what looks like cinematic dialogue perspective. If that's not an attempt at breaching the mainstream market, I don't know what is.

Wasteland 3 also added cinematic dialogue perspective.

Keeping the game isometric is not going mainstream, making the game third person akin to Dragon Age is going mainstream.

Jun 17, 2018
Just what I wanted to see. Larian are quickly becoming one my favourite developers. Really looking forward to the gameplay trailer today, hoping for a coop announcement!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Isometric view looks cluttered for some reason. No idea what it is, but the style doesn't get me yet.

Close ups look spectacular though!

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Love that it's iso. Dialogue options seem awfully short, i really hope it's not indicative of the latter game and it's just because it's early in development. But this has been one of my big worries about the game. That Larian will focus on the multiplayer aspect and because of that keep sentences short for a better play experience. I hope i'm wrong. Also hope we get some less grounded (don't know a better word) portraits. That all sound a little bit negative but Baldur's Gate is dear to my heart and the one thing i want them to get right are the companion conversations. But even if my fears come true i'm sure i still end up loving it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't DOS2 sold at least 2 millions ? This game will easily do much better thanks to the brand name and AAA production value alone.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Wasteland 3 also added cinematic dialogue perspective.

Keeping the game isometric is not going mainstream, making the game third person akin to Dragon Age is going mainstream.

Just gonna have to agree to disagree there. It's not nearly as binary as you're making it out to be. There's no "going mainstream" and "not going mainstream" with clear cut transition points, there's degrees to it, and I consider cinematic dialogue to be a massive step towards the "mainstream" end of the sliding scale of "mainstream" and "not mainstream".

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, if you assumed Turn based was the only option, then BG was more action oriented, it was Real Time with pause, not turn based. So I could see how some people wouldn't like the change in gameplay style from the classic.

I think, given it's particularly mentioned in the UI and how well the Turn-based Mod where you could switch on the fly between RTWP/Turn based worked for Pathfinder Kingmaker, to the point they're going to put it straight into the sequel, there's a good chance they're just going to give us both. (particularly since BG used to be RTWP)
Oh, okay sure. I wouldn't call Baldur's Gate "action oriented", but I can see why someone would be disapointed if the game paused after every round with no option to keep it moving.

My expectations are so low at this point I was bracing for some Final Fantasy-tier ARPG nonsense.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'd say that looks good! Looking forward to seeing it in movement.
"Turn-based" seems to imply that RTWP is there, which would be excellent news and a day 1 for me (I'd wait for a sale at best if it was turn based only).

Only part that is weird is the dialogue choices (not the camera, just the text), but that's maybe placeholder.

Oct 31, 2017
Damn, these character models are far beyond the level of detail I was expecting from this.
Now I want to see all of this in motion before passing judgment on the overall quality, but so far I'm in.

A bit concerned about the possibility of this being a hybrid system, though. That could turn out to be the worst of both worlds.
I don't think a lot of people saying "I'm glad there is an OPTION" are thinking about the implications of it.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna have to agree to disagree there. It's not nearly as binary as you're making it out to be. There's no "going mainstream" and "not going mainstream" with clear cut transition points, there's degrees to it, and I consider cinematic dialogue to be a massive step towards the "mainstream" end of the sliding scale of "mainstream" and "not mainstream".

I don't really think this is a fair way to judge every little stylistic choice. Plenty of classic RPGs cut to closeups for dialogue--Fallout 1 and 2, Deus Ex, VtMB, etc etc

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really think this is a fair way to judge every little stylistic choice. Plenty of classic RPGs cut to closeups for dialogue--Fallout 1 and 2, Deus Ex, VtMB, etc etc

I'm not judging anything or anyone, I'm just saying that I believe that in this case, part of the motivation for the stylistic choice is to have a more approachable game.

Which is great. If I'm coming across like one of those "ugh CASUALS" nerds that plague the RPG communities, apologies, not trying to do that.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting how the expectations seem to have been wall to wall. I always expected a slightly updated D:OS2 engine with D&D 5e mechanics and Baldur's Gate related story set in Forgotten Realms. It's been clear for a while that CRPGs have wide-reaching appeal and we're not in the age of "AAA cinematic games" dominating everything anymore.

Turn based is only really slow if you have to pad out your game with numerous trash mobs and meaningless encounters.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not judging anything or anyone, I'm just saying that I believe that in this case, part of the motivation for the stylistic choice is to have a more approachable game.

Which is great. If I'm coming across like one of those "ugh CASUALS" nerds that plague the RPG communities, apologies, not trying to do that.

That's fair! "Mainstream" always just seems like such a pejorative in discussions like this

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
A bit concerned about the possibility of this being a hybrid system, though. That could turn out to be the worst of both worlds.
I don't think a lot of people saying "I'm glad there is an OPTION" are thinking about the implications of it.
I think it was Larian's only option though. If they went RTwP they disappoint their massive, existing fanbase. If they went turn-based they disappoint a vocal chunk of fans of the original.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Loved DOS 2, is it necessary to play BG1 / 2 before 3? They're pretty old games, not sure I want to play them + I don't have the time my backlog is too big already. :(

Spartan

Nov 14, 2018
I am loving that they kept the same UI design as their most recent games, I think it's perfect and a joy to the eyes. Same font, same art style. Can't wait to see the gameplay later today.

Oct 31, 2017
I think it was Larian's only option though. If they went RTwP they disappoint their massive, existing fanbase. If they went turn-based they disappoint a vocal chunk of fans of the original.
In terms of "trying to satisfy everyone"? Probably.
In terms of coming up with the best game they can? It's more debatable.

The problem with a lot of these hybrids "pick your poison" systems is that they almost inevitably have one of the two feel like a complete afterthought (i.e. the turn-based mode in PoE II, for instance) or in the worst case scenario both system will end up feeling half-assed.