• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've been told that a few times, but unfortunately always from people who liked the first game, which leads me to doubt their taste.

I hated the writing in the first one but thoroughly enjoyed the writing in DoS2.
That having been said I do have my worries about this being to much divinity and to little Baldurs gate. Difficult to judge before playing it though.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Man, why does it have to release 10am PT and not just the 6th everywhere? Thats like 3am tomorrow over here. On a workday.

Jan 10, 2018
For someone that has never played a Baldur's Gate game, why do some fans concider this not to be a genuin sequel? What's the difference between this game and its predecessors?

I think it looks quite promising and I liked Divinity 2 so it has definitely caught my attention.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably be buying this when I get home tomorrow night, I'm pretty excited even if it is E. A.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
For someone that has never played a Baldur's Gate game, why do some fans concider this not to be a genuin sequel? What's the difference between this game and its predecessors?

I think it looks quite promising and I liked Divinity 2 so it has definitely caught my attention.

The biggest sticking point seems to be the move to a completely turn-based combat system (from the RTwP system BG1 and 2 had). I certainly understand preferring one over the other and even hating either approach, but people tend to be really extra when it comes to RTwP vs. TB and beloved classic franchises like BG in general.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
RTwP is always such cluster and feels like you are just zerging around, or constantly spamming space as you micro your characters.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So I haven't been following along the hype cycle, and I've never played any of these games, but I love crpgs that have a big emphasis on choice and letting you affect the story. I'm also really big on speech/charisma builds (I loved Wasteland 3 for instance), would this be up my alley?

Jan 10, 2018
The biggest sticking point seems to be the move to a completely turn-based combat system (from the RTwP system BG1 and 2 had). I certainly understand preferring one over the other and even hating either approach, but people tend to be really extra when it comes to RTwP vs. TB and beloved classic franchises like BG in general.

I see. And it's impossible for fans to see it as an evolution rather than a change of the series' identity?

I've played Divinity 2 for a lot of hours and I believe Larian are really great at making turn-based stuff. I personally don't see the issue, though I don't have any previous experience with Baldur's Gate so I can't really see it from that perspective.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how my imac will handle this game but I'll give it a shot until I get a PC

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Most games on PC release 9 hours from now sadly. Those that don't are a vast minority.
Ah. Im coming back to PC after 15 years of consoles. I thought releases might also be 12pm local, like the recent Star Wars one. Didnt realise that Steam unlocks everywhere at the same time (in which case, they should make the Singapore store say 7th)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ah. Im coming back to PC after 15 years of consoles. I thought releases might also be 12pm local, like the recent Star Wars one. Didnt realise that Steam unlocks everywhere at the same time (in which case, they should make the Singapore store say 7th)
Steam sometimes does that, with a countdown clock to when it unlocks for download.

And some games do unlock outside of the store update on top of that, but not many. I remember, uhhh... some Paradox games doing it, for example.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, is this going to be on egs for early access? Wondering since I know exactly what id use that $10 off coupon on lol.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Steam sometimes does that, with a countdown clock to when it unlocks for download.

And some games do unlock outside of the store update on top of that, but not many. I remember, uhhh... some Paradox games doing it, for example.
Bethesda is the last biggest one who I remember unlocks at midnight local time.
another fun fact, when the steam timer counts down those 7h it's gonna say releasing in less than an hour, that message stays for 1h.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not sure why the big fuss around RtWP and TB combat. 5e is turn based, so it makes sense that the game follows that rule.

2e was also turn based but ppl often forget how simplistic early D&D combat was, the main problem back then was mostly that outside of casters there where just not that many useful actions on most classes in combat so a turn based BG 1&2 or any Infinity engine game for that matter would have been boring as fuck (hell they even had to use cosmetic only filler swings to not make it seem like most classes just stand around in combat and do nothing) which is why it kinda made sense they used RtWP.
3e and 3.5e where allrdy a huge step up in this regard Temple of Elemental Evil is a great example how much it allrdy improved the combat on 2e in a video game turm based was really fun there.
I don't see the point in making any of the newer D&D versions RtWP now it just doesn't work well with them. To properly implement it they would need to automate and change or outright remove a lot of actions which just makes combat a complete unfun cluster fuck (not that infinity engine wasn't allrdy most of the time...) even Pathfinder has a official turn based combat mode now ( it was always TB under the hood) and it makes the game so much more playable.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

Different devs, different rule set, TB over rtwp, full 3d world over isometric with painted background... BG's story was also completely finished leaving no space for a sequel.

It really doesn't seem like it will have much in common with the old games other than the fact it takes place in Baldur's Gate (Which wasn't even true for most of BG anyway lol)

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I've been told that a few times, but unfortunately always from people who liked the first game, which leads me to doubt their taste.
If it helps, I hated the writing in the first game and thought the second game was a little better. I still haven't managed to complete the first act of either game despite five or six attempts because Larian's goofy writing and gimmicky mechanics just leave me completely cold.

So yeah, there are at least two of us who aren't thrilled to see what they'll do to Baldur's Gate. And I prefer TB to RTWP!

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im 100% buying the game, question is now or later.... never played an early access game. Probably should just wait for the full experience but I'm so tempted.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Im 100% buying the game, question is now or later.... never played an early access game. Probably should just wait for the full experience but I'm so tempted.
Yeah it depends on what you want out of the experience really. I think I'll try one kind of class for the early access, and then go something else for the full game.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have high hopes but I think I'll wait a few days to see how things settle. Larian seems perfectly capable and enthusiastic to me, but this is Baldur's Gate. Kind of a high bar.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've asked this in a couple threads before and never got a reply, so I am going to try again:

A few years ago, some friends invited me to a Pathfinder campaign they were starting. I had never played a tabletop RPG before. I really enjoyed the gameplay mechanics, but I hated the role-playing aspect. I have wanted to find a game that lets me do the parts I like and not do the parts I don't. It seems like this game might scratch that itch. Does that seem like a reasonable statement?

I have never played a Baldur's Gate or Larian title, so I don't really know what to expect. I did watch some of the gameplay demo thing they did a few weeks ago and it looked interesting.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've asked this in a couple threads before and never got a reply, so I am going to try again:

A few years ago, some friends invited me to a Pathfinder campaign they were starting. I had never played a tabletop RPG before. I really enjoyed the gameplay mechanics, but I hated the role-playing aspect. I have wanted to find a game that lets me do the parts I like and not do the parts I don't. It seems like this game might scratch that itch. Does that seem like a reasonable statement?

I have never played a Baldur's Gate or Larian title, so I don't really know what to expect. I did watch some of the gameplay demo thing they did a few weeks ago and it looked interesting.

I mean, most CRPGs are kind of Tabletop Games but with typically less roleplaying. Mainly because roleplaying in D&D is hard to translate.

Don't expect there to be no roleplaying though, these are still story heavy games and genres. If you've played Bioware games or even the Witcher 3, you can have a base idea of what to expect story and character wise, though it will typically be more in depth.

Larian themselves have a history of using mechanics to cleverly resolve stories and quests (stealth, using your water powers to put fires, exploting a teleport scroll to launch yourself into a secret area, etc).

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think it sounds reasonable. You get to do combat, out of combat problem solving, and determine what at least your main character is saying, but you won't have to actively roleplay anything.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RTwP is always such cluster and feels like you are just zerging around, or constantly spamming space as you micro your characters.
I've always felt this too. If you're not microing your dudes, you're not playing as well as you can, and I really don't mesh with the playstyle. Not with a six character party anyway.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

there's also the pathfinder game that was out a few years ago.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
So I am a bit surprised I went to the BG reddit to find out more about the series and whether I'd like BG3 and the amount of negativity was quite shocking. I understand it's a beloved series but I thought people would be a bit nicer to those new to the series.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
So I am a bit surprised I went to the BG reddit to find out more about the series and whether I'd like BG3 and the amount of negativity was quite shocking. I understand it's a beloved series but I thought people would be a bit nicer to those new to the series.
That subreddit is awful, to be blunt.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sad this is going to release while I'm at work. Going to make my day feel that much longer.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Any veterans from when Divinity 2 was in early access? Was there enough content to make it worthwhile? Did they add to it as time went by? Did the final game turn out much different to early access?

Just curious, as although im sure BG will be in good shape, based on media to date, it is a big outlay for a half finished game in beta.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Any veterans from when Divinity 2 was in early access? Was there enough content to make it worthwhile? Did they add to it as time went by? Did the final game turn out much different to early access?

Just curious, as although im sure BG will be in good shape, based on media to date, it is a big outlay for a half finished game in beta.
They had the entire first act up in Divinity 2. I can't remember how much game that was, 10 hours or so if you wanted to do everything? They didn't add content per se but they changed some skills etc in the early access. From what I read the BG3 early access is a lot longer though, IIRC I read something like 30-40 hours of content.