• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, so they are unlocking the druid for players i guess. And i'm pretty sure the druid boss from the grove (forgot his name) will be confirmed as a companion.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the Druid class gets some additional use to the Wild Shape charges like we saw in Tasha's in service to their Circle. You lose a lot of the purpose of Land when they are stuck in animal form, while Moon is THE wild shape circle.

Edit: Such as expending a use to bring back a spell slot equal or lower than your proficiency, similar to what Clerics can do with their Channel Divinity when not dealing with undead.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
74e.jpg

OP
OP
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe it's just me but it seems that druids aside they didn't really list any change or addition of particular relevance so far.

Also, yeah, you a re a bunch of lovable dorks, I get it, but Jesus Christ, consider pre-recording this stuff the next time, because it's two messy streams out of two so far.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
As an enormous Baldur's Gate fan, is this something that is worth getting into in the early access stage, or do the people that have tried it feel like it might actually ruin playing the full game experience when that eventually comes out?

OP
OP
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
Oct 31, 2017
As an enormous Baldur's Gate fan, is this something that is worth getting into in the early access stage, or do the people that have tried it feel like it might actually ruin playing the full game experience when that eventually comes out?
Subjective, I guess.
I play and replay even finished RPGs (that I like) multiple times over the years so this "ruin the experience" never made any fucking sense to me.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see how they'll make this competitive with Polymorph later on. Flaming Sphere looks fantastic.
Well, there's been a few patches that have been incompatible with saves and forcing a restart if you want the patched content. And the final release will not carry over progression either, so keep in mind that either way you'll be restarting. The positive aspect to that is that you can focus on being experimental with your choices and playstyle to something less optimal or traditional.

It certainly has massive rough spots for being Alpha/Early Access, but it was a lot of fun in my experience. And that was before they made non-combat avenues more rewarding and fleshed out companion interaction a bit more.

There's a lot in the Early Access, but it's a little less than the first act of the game. You don't get to see the titular city, for instance. So you'll have plenty in the final release to this drop in the bucket.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Did they fix disengage yet? Disengage not being a free bonus action to every class is an absolute key component to making a game feel like D&d 5th edition. I only played the game for like an hour when it first came out and couldn't get past that failed concept.... It makes tanking classes entirely pointless and really difficult for any melee class to control the battlefield.

Another issue was that many enemies had unlimited supplies of Greek fire and other rare consumables making combat a chore and full of unnecessary ground effects.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Subjective, I guess.
I play and replay even finished RPGs (that I like) multiple times over the years so this "ruin the experience" never made any fucking sense to me.
I get that, its just entirely a time issue for me - I have very, very little and its incredibly rare I get to play anything more than once in a straight shot - but I also played and beat every Infinity engine RPG more than once over the years and BG2 is one of my top 10 games ever, so this one has had me really intrigued.

There's a lot in the Early Access, but it's a little less than the first act of the game. You don't get to see the titular city, for instance. So you'll have plenty in the final release to this drop in the bucket.

If it gets to a little bit of a sale I will pick it up - definitely worth supporting the series. Thanks!

Feb 19, 2018
Did they fix disengage yet? Disengage not being a free bonus action to every class is an absolute key component to making a game feel like D&d 5th edition. I only played the game for like an hour when it first came out and couldn't get past that failed concept.... It makes tanking classes entirely pointless and really difficult for any melee class to control the battlefield.
Haven't played BF3 yet, but am an avid 5e player. They absolutely need to get rid of that mechanic. Opportunity attacks is literally the only thing that allows melee characters to have any sort of battlefield control and presence. Often that's not even enough to keep enemies from going after the squishy casters in the back unless you literally block of all the squares leading to them. Only the Sentinel feat (aka if you hit the enemy with a melee opportunity attack, their movement gets reduced to zero) allows melee characters to work as real tanks and that only works because Disengaging takes an Action (meaning an enemy has to decide whether to be able to deal damage or disengage that turn).

Bonus action disengage means a huge monster could just waltz past the tank (who has no way to stop it, even if he made the huge investment of getting the Sentinel feat) and unload most or all its damage output into that squishy wizard in the back, on its first turn even if it has enough movement.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game looks so good. I can't wait to play once it's done. That'll probably be around the time I finish D:OS2. :P

OP
OP
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
Oct 31, 2017
I tried my best to be conservative with my expectations and I'm still fucking disappointed.

Absolutely no improvement (nor mention of the issues) with the party controls, no increase level cap to 5, one single new class in four months, no new races and if there are mechanical gameplay improvements they surely have made a terrible job highlighting them so far.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played BF3 yet, but am an avid 5e player. They absolutely need to get rid of that mechanic. Opportunity attacks is literally the only thing that allows melee characters to have any sort of battlefield control and presence. Often that's not even enough to keep enemies from going after the squishy casters in the back unless you literally block of all the squares leading to them. Only the Sentinel feat (aka if you hit the enemy with a melee opportunity attack, their movement gets reduced to zero) allows melee characters to work as real tanks and that only works because Disengaging takes an Action (meaning an enemy has to decide whether to be able to deal damage or disengage that turn).

Bonus action disengage means a huge monster could just waltz past the tank (who has no way to stop it, even if he made the huge investment of getting the Sentinel feat) and unload most or all its damage output into that squishy wizard in the back, on its first turn even if it has enough movement.
I completely agree. Sentinel wasn't in the game yet when I tried it, which again made melee classes feel mostly pointless. Solasta (also in early access) is at least trying to be more 5th edition D&D-like than BG3 which is strange to me since BG3 is in an official D&D game setting.

I dunno what they are doing with their EA on BG3, but it doesn't seem to be much for balancing / re-working how combat works or party movement / party controls.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The comedy of errors in that one battle will sell more copies than if it went perfectly.

i have watched both the original announcement and this... they show as if each and every fight takes more than half an hour to win ... this is going to be a thousand hours long xD

I feel the sadness of our DnD friends, the game looks like it's aiming at "casuals" role players like me, rather than the core fans who waited for so long to go back to BG. Can't get a feel until i try it, maybe with that patch, i don't know yet, i may wait until they include a little more things. Level 4 cap is really limited. I fought through low level DnD in BG1 , i wish i could have spent a little bit of time high level... but nope...
So that's going to be back to fighting rats i guess.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I loved that stream. The cow! The forms! The climbing animations! And capped off with a fight in the traditional Swen style.

The technical issues were a bummer but the Druid class seems like a big addition. I'm wildly excited for it.

OP
OP
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
Oct 31, 2017
I think Swen keeps splitting his party in the most nonsensical and suicidal way because, even if he won't ever admit it openly, in his heart he knows their party control scheme is utter shit and a pain to endure.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
i have watched both the original announcement and this... they show as if each and every fight takes more than half an hour to win ... this is going to be a thousand hours long xD

I feel the sadness of our DnD friends, the game looks like it's aiming at "casuals" role players like me, rather than the core fans who waited for so long to go back to BG. Can't get a feel until i try it, maybe with that patch, i don't know yet, i may wait until they include a little more things. Level 4 cap is really limited. I fought through low level DnD in BG1 , i wish i could have spent a little bit of time high level... but nope...
So that's going to be back to fighting rats i guess.

The people who like D&D and the people who like Baldur's Gate are different groups for the most part. The original games didn't really play like D&D. So, as someone who has played a lot of D&D, I'm more excited for BG3 than I normally would be because they're mostly directly translating the 5e ruleset in to the game. Because of that, this game has many more opportunities to experiment and be creative with the mechanics.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, its just entirely a time issue for me - I have very, very little and its incredibly rare I get to play anything more than once in a straight shot - but I also played and beat every Infinity engine RPG more than once over the years and BG2 is one of my top 10 games ever, so this one has had me really intrigued.

To me this is still way more Divinity than Baldurs Gate. In particular combat is much, much slower, so if you don't have much time and it really isn't the same as the old games? Might be a wait till it is done thing.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I think Swen keeps splitting his party in the most nonsensical and suicidal way because, even if he won't ever admit it openly, in his heart he knows their party control scheme is utter shit and a pain to endure.
Ive been keeping my self pretty much totally in the dark about bg3 (especially videos). What do you mean with party control scheme? The weird and extremely convoluted way you needed to drag the portraits to split your party apart in Div 2? Is that shit still in bg3?

Edit nvm. Seems like its in. I aint buying if it doesnt change...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-preview-for-patch-4-panel-from-hell-2.379857/reply?quote=58847019
OP
OP
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
Oct 31, 2017
Ive been keeping my self pretty much totally in the dark about bg3 (especially videos). What do you mean with party control scheme? The weird and extremely convoluted way you needed to drag the portraits to split your party apart in Div 2? Is that shit still in bg3?
Yep. Exactly that.
I talked a bit more extensively about it in the previous page.

My single most loathed feature about the current state of the game, quite frankly. Head and shoulders above any other minor grievance about rule tweaking and all that other stuff.
it's pretty much incredible that in their obsession to reinvent the wheel Larian are coming up with a control scheme that feels more clumsy, convoluted and unintuitive than what the series had 20 years before.

And not by chance, since BG 1 and 2 borrowed heavily from the RTS genre. You know, that genre that pretty much PERECTED the art of making the control of multiple units at once as intuitive, painless and quick as possible.

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Druid is my default class in any D&D game, so it being next class they introduce is great news. Actually seems like they are trying to make wild shape not totally suck too which is nice.

Just wish they would introduce features a little more quickly in EA. Feels like it is moving at less than a snails pace at this point.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say WHEN this patch is coming? Druid looks cool and I will probably dick around with it, but Rogue 4 lyfe

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I for one think, jump aside that the game was already great to play and needed only more content to be absolutely fantastic. I no lifed it right away and it took me 20 hours to clear all of act 1 once. Happy to try out an evil druid when this patch launches.
I don't have a big problem with the chain mechanic, even if it make me mess up sometimes, and I often hate RTS controls in CRPGs.

randomsandra

Jan 2, 2020
Have they said anything about bringing the controller interface to the steam release? I always quite liked playing Divinity lounging on the couch.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Any new companions announced? Druid class looks badass.

I think the druid boss you have to free from the goblins will be a companion. Or at least a "secret" one. Due to the fact that he has quite a distinctive look and asks to follow your group around once freed (at least he did for me).

But we'll see. The recquirement so far for companions seems to be the need for a tadpole so... Could be kinda hard to come upon outside of act 1.