• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
That Ars Technica rticle is so weird, especially when the writer claims he has lots of experience with crpgs. It's like this is his first one and he's surprised by everything. And I'm highly suspicious that the reason everyone hated his character was of his own doing, also him being surprised that a mind flayer kileld him after he tried to probe its mind? Yeah, no shit. I don't know. I'll have to read more impressions, this one seemed off to me.
Yeah the article is very weird to me as well, it comes across as someone who has very little experience with RPG's in general.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The FextraLife preview really goes into whether or not the criticism that the game will basically be "Divinity in a D&D skin" has merit or not.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I tried to ask Larian on Twitter but but never got an answer. For the one that already bought the game, is there multiplayer in the Early Access?I would like to play the game with my Divinity 2 groups.
Sure is, I made a lobby :)
I'm SO going to re-create my D&D female barbarian, once I get this game.

In general, what are the impressions for this game?
Mostly positive, some are too positive and at least one negative is just weird and uneven.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
One question. Why do some of you want to play an unfinished game and ruin your own experience for when it goes full release? (I'm just wondering from my own perspective of thought)

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having issues with screen resolution? no matter what I change it to, it does not change- stuck at what appears to be 1080p. Using a 2080, on LGOLED tv with Gsync...

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
One question. Why do some of you want to play an unfinished game and ruin your own experience for when it goes full release? (I'm just wondering from my own perspective of thought)

I just like messing around and breaking systems, and I enjoy seeing a game slowly evolve. Also I replay RPGs a lot anyway so it doesn't really bother me much going over the same content again.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
Look at it like playing an episodic game I guess. You'll play Act 1 now and the rest at some point in the future.

I guess that makes sense. I did it on hitman 1.

I just like messing around and breaking systems, and I enjoy seeing a game slowly evolve. Also I replay RPGs a lot anyway so it doesn't really bother me much going over the same content again.

This also makes perfect sense. If you enjoy that kind of experience then why not. Have fun guys

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I like Larian, happy to support them and help develop the game with my feedback.

I had a great experience with supporting Hades in early access and that game kicks fucking ass now.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
They seem mostly positive right now. People are saying the game's pretty buggy ATM though which I guess is to be expected since the full release is pretty far.

So long as it isn't Avengers-levels of broken, I can live with it. I've been itching to play a modern video game that uses D&D's 5th Edition rule set, and this one looks promising.

Not yet. Early Access does not have barbarian yet. But will be added before release

A bummer, but it's also reassuring. Maybe I can use this opportunity to create some new characters/classes that I can use for a future table top session?

Last edited:

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Simply play something you usually don't or wouldn't play for your "proper" playthrough if it bothers you, game is great and will give a lot of replayability with the updates. I played DoS2 so much over the span of it's life, worth!

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Still in the first few steps but I love love love the implementation of passive and active skill rolls. It super feels like a pen & paper thing already.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
I like Larian, happy to support them and help develop the game with my feedback.

I had a great experience with supporting Hades in early access and that game kicks fucking ass now.

I bought that one in early access myself but didn't touch it until it was released. I guess I could buy this one as well but just not ttouchh it so I don't ruin the experience for myself.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
I've never played a CRPG in any meaningful way and was excited to try this with a friend. But now the deal seems to be "Pay full price to playtest our bugfest of a game for us." I don't care how they try to justify it, they can fuck right off with that.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Best thing ever is shared initiative / groups taking turns. If 2+ players have initiative before the next enemy, you play simultaneously! Speeds up play a bunch.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a CRPG in any meaningful way and was excited to try this with a friend. But now the deal seems to be "Pay full price to playtest our bugfest of a game for us." I don't care how they try to justify it, they can fuck right off with that.
No, I think the idea was for YOU to fuck right off with that 😁

The reason for them doing this has been repeated ad nasuem so I wotn go into it but I suggest maybe looking into getting DOS 2 with your buddy instead if you're looking for a co-op CRPG fix.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But...you.... don't have to buy it now. Just wait until it's more done?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Just about finished my character and game hard crashed and I had to force reboot my PC :( damn was so close to finishing!

Jun 17, 2018
I was so excited for this but £49.99 is a tough pill to swallow for just Act 1 is EA. I'll wait and see if it goes on sale at some point. I hope those who are playing are having fun!

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
What options are there for character creation stats?

Rolls?
Standard Array?
Point Buy?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

I mean yeah that's pretty much what early access is. If you're not interested in that then you'll just end up with a better game whenever it launches into 1.0. Play DOS2 with your friend in the meantime - it's an excellent multiplayer cRPG and is well polished.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. It's early access of a major release and you get the full game on launch. You expect them to give you the full game for less than full price? If you think about it, it's weird logic that only exists because indie games or kickstarters are usually EA games.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Where did you hear that? EA games often go on sale so I'll wait. Besides, I'm happy to pay closer to full price at release when the game is finished.

From their earlier games. They don't go on sale til at least a while after release.

And the cost being an issue boggles me. It's pretty much a preorder for the full game of course it's full price.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, hot take incoming, but I just watched Fextralife's character creation guide, and it reminded me of how lukewarm I am on DnD systems translated into games anymore. Why do you need to put two points in a stat to see an improvement? Do we really need to call them cantrips? Is there no way to make combat more interesting at the start, or at least make it so I don't miss so much?

I understand that it's all fine and works in every game that it's in and these things are just the way it is, but one of the things that I've always been most thankful for in POE is how they decided to cut the BS where ever they could and make systems tailored to the medium.
TRUEEEEEEEEEEE. Dude, my even hotter take is that they should've only taken the setting and thrown everything else out, because D&D sucks and BG2 was amazing in spite of it, not because of it. DOS2 might be the GOAT isometric RPG honestly.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Anyone having an issue running this in VULKAN (particularly on an AMD). DX11 is the only way I can get proper resolution.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Really? Where did you hear that? EA games often go on sale so I'll wait. Besides, I'm happy to pay closer to full price at release when the game is finished.

Sven talked about it in DroppedFrames he was on several weeks ago (you can find episode on youtube).

He talked about a lot of things and one was purpose of Early Access, pricing of it etc. It's where he mentioned that EA will be full priced because of content full game will have and work it takes to get there, also mentioned that they aren't looking to discount the game for long time. They want use EA as development tool that gives them data and feedback, not as pre-order with discount and "demo".

Edit: He also says that they increased the price from DOS 2 to BG 3 because scale of the game is that much larger and they feel full game will justify its pricepoint

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
It took the first D:OS over 2 years to go 50% off and it only went 66%+ after D:OS2 released, and it was never on sale in Early Access and it took months I believe before they even gave a 10% discount on D:OS2.

So yeah, good luck holding out for this and really from their perspective as long as they maintain track record, the game will be at 95% positive and selling like the hottest muffins at the store for months to come, no reason to discount it.

Jun 17, 2018
From their earlier games. They don't go on sale til at least a while after release.

And the cost being an issue boggles me. It's pretty much a preorder for the full game of course it's full price.

Cool... I'm not pissed off about the game being full price, I just can't justify paying £49.99 for it at the moment. Especially when there are other finished products coming out this year that I would like to play. I was hoping it would release at £39.99 but that's just me being hopeful.

Anyway, you do you. Hope you're enjoying the game.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Going by my impressions of the previous two Larian games, I don't really expect much from the story, so I don't care if I spoil a part of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Early thoughts. It's early access. It's janky, and rough and pretty amazing for early access. DnD goodness. The desire to re-roll a new character and replay even the first act is already high.