• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I was scrolling through Twitter when I stumbled across this tweet from Emi Jones...

Somehow they've yet to actually showcase this element of the game in any trailers, but upon closer inspection of the official website, it sounds like the Chao Garden from Sonic Adventure (or technically the A-Life system from NiGHTS) has made a bit of a comeback in the form of this game's hub world. Thank Yuji Naka!

885c250b7a6e6b6626c95e38d7122071.jpg

f428c01744b52d4520a8b7612435aba3.jpg

According to the website, you obtain Tims by hatching eggs, you raise them by giving them colored items obtained from the stages, and they change their color and attributes based on those items. However, instead of racing and karate, Tims can actually be brought into stages to assist you during gameplay. Sound pretty Chao-like to me! It might not totally scratch the same itch, but it's cool to see either way.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
OH SNAP!!!! Good find. I was already sold on the game but this is a fun little extra!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely got some MAJOR Dreamcast era Sega vibes from this game.

I'll wait to see how this game turns out overall, but I do dig what it's going for.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how this is a secretly an off-brand Sonic + Nights game. If the gameplay footage already didn't sell that, this detail should.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Oh joy

Hopefully this is all optional and you don't have to engage with any of this for game progression

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well if Sega won't do it.

This game is targeed extremely heavily to the late 90's-early 2000's Sega fans and they know we'll gel with this. Even as someone that didn;t liek the Chao Garden I;m glad they're doing this cause the people that liked it really fucking loved it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Oh wow that's cool !
Absolutely crazy that Sega has never tried again to do a Chao Garden in a 3D Sonic ever again after Adventure 2.
I get it that most of them has a rather small budget, but still. That's such a loved feature. When you think Sonic Adventure 1&2, you think multiple playstyle/characters, crazy over the top story involving the destruction of the Earth, and chao garden.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This feature will make people buy this game, chao garden is amazing

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Please no - I dont want to clock another 300 hours on something....

I clocked over 300+ hours on Sonic Adventure 2 on GCN...and majority was thanks to Chao Garden lol.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
After watching that hour+ long video about the chao garden I don't know if I'm excited or terrified

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They really should have called this game Balan Wonderland. I call it that every time and I know I'm not the only one.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
This has turned the game from a "I'm really interested" to a "must buy" for me

I still load up SA2B every now and then on my Xbox specifically to spend time on Chao, sure I replay the whole game/work towards Green Hill Zone with every return but the focus is the chao garden