• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Preview of tomorrow's demo is up on gamecentral:

metro.co.uk

Balan Wonderworld hands-on preview – the shadow of Sonic the Hedgehog

The creators of Sonic The Hedgehog and Nights Into Dreams create a brand new franchise and GameCentral has had early access to the demo.

Sounds decent but not spectacular. Some tidbits:

To be honest we weren't really clear what Balan Wonderworld was when it was first announced, but having been given advance access to the demo, which will be released publicly on Thursday, January 28, we have a clearer grasp of what it's all about. Balan Wonderworld is an old school 3D platformer and surprisingly reminiscent of Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg, our favourite of Naka's post-Sonic titles, in terms of its simple platforming and reliance on a single, entertaining gimmick.

Even when the statutes are involved though the platforming is very basic and the controls rather flat, to the point where it's obvious this would never keep anyone's interest as a straight platformer like Super Mario Odyssey. Luckily it doesn't have to though as the big gimmick is a selection of more than 80 different costumes, which you wear like something out of Fall Guys which all confer very different abilities. The Tasmanian Devil style Toranado Wolf is the first you pick up, which has a spin attack that can deflect tornadoes used by enemies. After that is the kangaroo-like Jumping Jack which allows you to jump further and the Elastiplant which lets you stretch upwards, as if on stilts.

The ingredients are all here for a fun, retro style 3D platformer, the sort of thing you could imagine appearing on the GameCube and nobody but you ever seeming to know about it. We're sure Square Enix are hoping for more than that but the game seems a hard sell for anyone that's not already a fan of the genre, with very low-tech visuals, an unhelpful camera, and limp combat. Although the local co-op is certainly a welcome option. There is still a charm to Balan Wonderworld – 3D platformers are rare enough that any new one is automatically of interest – but despite the generous length of the demo there's nothing much to get your teeth into and in gameplay terms it all seems a lot plainer and less exciting than the ideas underpinning it. Hopefully the final game will close that gap but at the very least it's definitely better than the last several 3D Sonic games.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
NiGHTS, Sonic Adventure, Billy Hatcher, Sega of old, all games I grew up with and loved. I think Balan is made exactly for people like myself.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Billy Hatcher so I'm willing to give this game its chances, can't wait for the demo.
Also lol at that last bit about Sonic, maybe we'll get a good game for its 30th anniversary.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
surprisingly reminiscent of Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg

tenor.gif

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how it says it wouldn't stand alone compared to a "straight platformer like Super Mario Odyssey", but then lists several things which explicitly sound like SMO hat transformations as its means of going beyond that paradigm.

So basically, this is a worse SMO?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Demo is 4.33gb and is live on the 28th so *now* if it's the 28th where you are (or you can switch to NZ to grab it)

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if this doesn't go well then Yuji Naka is unfortunately out of a job. At least that's what he said.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Preview of tomorrow's demo is up on gamecentral:

metro.co.uk

Balan Wonderworld hands-on preview – the shadow of Sonic the Hedgehog

The creators of Sonic The Hedgehog and Nights Into Dreams create a brand new franchise and GameCentral has had early access to the demo.

Sounds decent but not spectacular. Some tidbits:

To be honest we weren't really clear what Balan Wonderworld was when it was first announced, but having been given advance access to the demo, which will be released publicly on Thursday, January 28, we have a clearer grasp of what it's all about. Balan Wonderworld is an old school 3D platformer and surprisingly reminiscent of Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg, our favourite of Naka's post-Sonic titles, in terms of its simple platforming and reliance on a single, entertaining gimmick.

Even when the statutes are involved though the platforming is very basic and the controls rather flat, to the point where it's obvious this would never keep anyone's interest as a straight platformer like Super Mario Odyssey. Luckily it doesn't have to though as the big gimmick is a selection of more than 80 different costumes, which you wear like something out of Fall Guys which all confer very different abilities. The Tasmanian Devil style Toranado Wolf is the first you pick up, which has a spin attack that can deflect tornadoes used by enemies. After that is the kangaroo-like Jumping Jack which allows you to jump further and the Elastiplant which lets you stretch upwards, as if on stilts.

The ingredients are all here for a fun, retro style 3D platformer, the sort of thing you could imagine appearing on the GameCube and nobody but you ever seeming to know about it. We're sure Square Enix are hoping for more than that but the game seems a hard sell for anyone that's not already a fan of the genre, with very low-tech visuals, an unhelpful camera, and limp combat. Although the local co-op is certainly a welcome option. There is still a charm to Balan Wonderworld – 3D platformers are rare enough that any new one is automatically of interest – but despite the generous length of the demo there's nothing much to get your teeth into and in gameplay terms it all seems a lot plainer and less exciting than the ideas underpinning it. Hopefully the final game will close that gap but at the very least it's definitely better than the last several 3D Sonic games.
Ooh. That's a bit of a kick in the Nakas.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Uff...feels like this will be a tough sell.

Normally it would sell decently on Switch but it's releasing on the same day as Monster Hunter so rip
The games looks and performs much worse on Switch than the better plattformer on that plattform - so yeah thats unlikely.
If they had focused on making the Switch version as appealing as possible MH launching the same day wouldnt be a big of a deal since they cater to different audiences.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I'm cool with a charming, if generic 3D platformer. I'll keep an eye out for that demo tomorrow.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Everything I've seen of it makes it look like a B or C-tier game with clunky controls and pretty dated animation. I reckon a lot of 6s and some 5s when it is reviewed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Played through the demo now. I like it!

But, to be clear, this isn't Mario or Sonic or Astro's Playroom. This is a new Billy Hatcher for better or worse. It feels like it's made for a very specific player. If you have never ending nostalgia for the GameCube or the PS2 era of AA platformers then this should trigger some of that. It basically feels like you're running Dolphin and playing an up-ressed Gamecube/Saturn game.

The sound effects/music are pure Nights. Like, the collectibles are basically the same sound. If that means something to you then you'll get a kick out of it.

I can see the potential of the costumes. There are definitely multiple ways of doing certain things and hopefully it'll be fun to experiment with them (you can have three costumes in your 'bag' at once and each is basically new moves).

The world one boss is 100% a Nights Into Dreams boss.

This will not be a huge seller. It will be embraced, at best, by Sega fans and lapsed GameCube era players. This is not a new Sonic. But I'm excited!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

But, to be clear, this isn't Mario or Sonic or Astro's Playroom. This is a new Billy Hatcher for better or worse. It feels like it's made for a very specific player. If you have never ending nostalgia for the GameCube or the PS2 era of AA platformers then this should trigger some of that. It basically feels like you're running Dolphin and playing an up-ressed Gamecube/Saturn game.

The sound effects/music are pure Nights. Like, the collectibles are basically the same sound. If that means something to you then you'll get a kick out of it.

I can see the potential of the costumes. There are definitely multiple ways of doing certain things and hopefully it'll be fun to experiment with them (you can have three costumes in your 'bag' at once and each is basically new moves).

This will not be a huge seller. It will be embraced, at best, by Sega fans and lapsed GameCube era players. This is not a new Sonic. But I'm excited!
That's good enough for me lol.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sound like I would like this game. I even think it will be some sort of Nights costume that let you fly through yellow rings in 2D!

Also lol at the final quote of that preview. Sonic memes are still ok somehow

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
My biggest concerns are coming true.
I wish Yasuhara was on board with this project so we'd have the entire Sonic trifecta making magic.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Billy Hatcher comparisons make me really happy. This game is right up in my alley.

Btw Sega, remaster Billy Hatcher in HD pls.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least this will be cute and charming, so I'm on board. Absolutely love Billy Hatcher, so super interested in how this game turns out.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Based on having watched a friend play, the Switch version doesn't seem like it's the most graceful port. Running at sub-native res (possibly dynamic?) with pretty low quality textures and a framerate that seems to dip quite a bit during some intensive moments. It seems consistent enough during regular game play to not be too big of a dealbreaker but there's definitely been better running UE4 games on Switch than this, especially for a game that looks relatively primitive up close.

Game play itself looks okay. I might try it on a discount, looks and feels too much like a "context-sensitive" type of platformer and the movement overall seems kind of "eh".

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
This looks like that game you rent at video store cus everything has been taken, back in the late 90s-00s.
I think its the idle animation npc's dances that dont fit with said npc and them disappearing when you get too close.
Just screams budget 99 SEGA game to me.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about Billy Hatcher really brings back the nostalgia.

I'll definitely check out the demo at least.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Played the game on Switch so when the PS4 version of the demo drops I'll try that out. but unfortunately I dont think the vastly improved performance could help this for me.

The game feels too slow for the amount of exploring they want you to do. Which is a shame because the level design is pretty interesting but your character feels like ass to use. I don't like the heavy context sensitive use and how everything is tied to one button.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Billy Hatcher-like gameplay crossed with NiGHTS visual style.

Yup, this is exactly what I thought when I saw gameplay footage a couple of months ago. We haven't really seen 3D platformers of this kind since the 6th gen, so I'm looking forward to it!

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Cross-posting my impressions from the demo thread. I actually like it!.

I have been playing the demo for a while on my Series S (up on NZ store) and I am really pleased with it.

We all know, it is not going to set the world on fire but if you take for what it is, you are going to enjoy it A LOT. Yes, it is full of that nostalgia and charm of early SEGA 3D games and you can see it is not a high budget production, but is it a bad thing? Not at all.

I remember the thread here with people absolutely bashing the game for the running animation and once again, people are proven stupid. The game plays perfectly fine. In fact, there are some interesting gameplay ideas. It is basically a collecthon in which with the default "costume" you can just jump (all the front buttons do this), but with each costume you get the action you can perform with that button is a modified jump, allowing you to attack mid-air, stretch your legs, stomp on enemies, etc... From what I have seen so far, it seems like it would have certain dose of backtracking. You may need to go back to older levels to get collectibles you firstly missed for not having the appropiate costume to reach it.

I think it is a Series S optimised game, but I don´t care if it isnt, I think it is beautiful to look at. Colorful and some designs gave me strong KH vibes. The design of Balan, the character is supercool too btw. AND GUYS, the soundtrack. Oh my god, it is really good. Every level seems to revolve around an individual who was a certain problem (in the first level you help a farmer whose harvest is being ruined by tornados) so theres certain background to what is going on.

To sum up, good vibes games are always welcome, especially in challenging times.

I will buy it sooner or later, that much is sure for me. And if you feel like me in the slightlest you should follow suit, cause baby this is an endangered species we have here.