• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
[CAUTION] Make absolutely sure the game's Day 1 patch is applied; without it, a strobing effect caused by a bug during the game's last boss can be a neurological trigger for epilepsy. Click this to read Game Informer's article on the subject.

Here is Resetera's dedicated thread on the subject.

Check the threadmarks for SquareEnix's tweet.

CeHz2Id.png

BALAN WONDERWORLD |OT| Blights into Dreams
OUT MARCH 26, 2021
$60 USD | $80 CDN | €50 EUR | ¥7'678 YEN

Developed by SquareEnix / Balan Company + Arzest
Published by Square Enix

Available on:
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Playstation 4, Playstation 5
  • Steam
  • Xbox One, Series X|S

Nice to know:
  • Next gen upgrades are free.
  • Local co-op play on all platforms.
  • Support for Steam's Remote Play Together feature.
  • There is a free demo on all platforms.
  • SquareEnix has announced a day one patch based in part on feedback from that demo. From a SquareEnix blog post: "Specifically, this patch will adjust movement controls, camera movement, and rebalancing of the difficulty." Time will tell how tangible these improvements may be, of course! More details here.

WzZuSvU.png

Balan Wonderworld is a 3D platformer inspired by musical theatre. Everyone has positive and negative emotions, but if your anxieties overwhelm...you may find yourself pulled into Wonderworld. Leo and Emma, our protagonists, are two such people. A sort of psychological dreamspace between fantasy and reality, Wonderworld is overseen by its mysterious "maestro", Balan. Aside from Balan's monologue in the opening movie and a few tool tips, the storytelling is done by visuals and music alone.

ryENHAj.png

Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima, original team members on Sonic the Hedgehog and Nights into Dreams, are helming Balan Wonderworld. Naka joined Square Enix in 2018, forming his Balan Company label within the company. This is the first game under the label. Ohshima is the current Vice President of Arzest, who is co-developing the game. Square Enix are handling publishing duties and developing the game's CG sequences via its Visual Works team.

JxAGziH.png

You play as Leo and Emma, navigating the dreamscapes of Wonderworld in a classic 3D platforming style. There are 12 chapters in all, each based on a different character — a diver, farmer and bug collector among them. You run around and look for lots of collectables, like golden trophies of Balan himself. Those open new worlds to explore as you rack them up, but…
ZtIZjVO.png

...you won't get far without finding and swapping into different costumes! The creators have touted a "single button" gameplay style, where each costume has a single unique function that just about any button on the controller will activate. Some give you different variations on a jump, allowing you to reach new heights. Others may let you unleash a charge attack or turn into an invulnerable iron box...but that means jumping is off the table! There are 80 costumes in all, and you'll need to mix and match the ones you find to succeed. There is said to be some leeway in which costumes you use to achieve a goal.

d7kwI5x.png

GUG6FRv.png

g6tRYkU.png

fkI6MxA.png

Pdl6tla.png

lkubV5P.png

That's right, friends: Balan Wonderworld has a companion novel! It's called Balan Wonderworld: Maestro of Mystery, Theatre of Wonders. Written by Soshi Kawasaki, it will further detail the events of the game...and beyond. (You may want to finish the game before starting the book as it works in part off of the game's ending. Thanks Camjo-Z) According to its publisher listing, it will be available on the same day as the game in eBook format only.

I will be buying a copy and posting a few brief excerpts in this space. Stay tuned, and I hope you enjoy the game!

OT by dogbox.
Thanks to SuperiorTrashTalk for the banner inspiration.

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Those costume characters look like they bought them as adoptables off FurAffinity...

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I have been unable to find any next-gen enhancements detailed for this game. Barring me being blind to such information's existence, I don't understand developers hiding this information from gamers. I'm not saying Digital Foundry levels of information is needed, but framerate, resolution, and any other loosely described upgrades.

I have an eye on this game, but I need to know what I'd be getting across the versions before I spend the money.

Last edited:

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
This game makes me sad.

I don't want to be to hyperbolic, but I was shocked at how bad the demo was. It reminds me of shovelware games I played on the Wii

OP
OP
dogbox

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I have been unable to find any next-gen enhancements detailed for this game. Barring me being blind to such information's existence, I don't understand developers' hiding this information from gamers. I'm noy saying Digital Foundry levels of information is needed, but framerate, resolution, and any other loosely described upgrades.

I have an eye on this game, but I need to know what I'd be getting across the versions before I spend the money.

I thought the same thing putting this together, and the incompleteness of the info led me to just leave it out for now. There is, however, an IGN interview from last fall where Naka mentions 4K 60FPS on PS5. I would assume Series X would be the same but it's not confirmed. A nice succinct graphic for this stuff would be nice!

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Really hoping for some kind of miracle where the patch somehow magically fixes the game, but I'm not too hopeful. Might pick the game up on a heavy discount someday.

Somehow I didn't think they were charging $60 for this

Same here, this OT is how I found out. I honestly was under the impression it'd be somewhere between $20-$40. Oof.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a novel?

Forget console wars, time for format wars. The novel version will easily be the best version of this

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I am so curious to read this book lol

Particularly because some of the marketing for the game focuses on a near-wordless story in the actual game. What kind of Wonderworld lore is tucked away in that bad boy
we can only hope it's as unintentionally terrifying as the archie NiGHTS book

Nov 23, 2017
If Monster Hunter Rise wasn't coming out on the same day, I would have gotten this for sure. I'll definitely pick it up on a discount regardless of the critic scores. I love the style and atmosphere a lot.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on what the day one patch will fix? I may nab this at like $20 if they address some of the weirder stuff like all costumes not being able to jump.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I was always going to check this out but given how packed the next few months are and there's nothing out until next week, I'm giving it a go on day one. Having a PS5 game at £40 also helps.

Not expecting much from reviews, but very curious to see what they say nonetheless.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to really dislike this game but dang it I'm super excited for it. I can understand thinking the demo was a bit shallow and too straightforward but for it to get such intense vitriol from all corners of the internet is very surprising to me. All the worlds they've shown have looked really cool, I'm just hoping the puzzles and backtracking get a little more involved than what we saw in the demo, which largely consisted of "get costume A in stage, bring it to obvious gimmick B". It'd be nice to have some statues tucked away in places where it's not immediately obvious how to get it.

Also, a warning to anyone planning to read the novel - I've heard that it has spoilers for the game's ending, so if you care about that sort of thing you may want to read it after you've finished a playthrough.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The demo took me by surprise by just how awful it was. But I'm holding out hope that the final game will turn out to be at least a worthy 7/10. It wouldn't be the first time we got a bad demo for a game which turned out ok. Fingers crossed. But it's going to be in bargain bins in a few weeks regardless so I wouldn't be paying £50 to get this at launch.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
That OT subtitle *chef's kiss*

It's a shame the demo was highly disappointing for people, the trailers always made this look like it might be a good thing to play while waiting for the inevitable Mario Odyssey follow-up.

As far as I know, they're sending review codes VERY late

That's always a good sign of confidence in the product.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
That thread subtitle made me gasp. I'm expecting this game to be put through the ringer by everybody if the demo was anything to go by. For reference, even Sega didn't have faith in Sonic lately to charge $60 for their games. But this is gunning for that price?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I have my fingers crossed for all the brave souls planning to take the bullet on this one and to give it a go. I don't want anyone to spend that much and get a clunker (least of all one that makes you motion sick). I do not have much faith that this is going to end well for most of you though.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given how bad that demo was and its a full priced release the reviews are going to be very interesting. Its another warning when review codes are sent out so late.

OP
OP
dogbox

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Everyone seems to really dislike this game but dang it I'm super excited for it. I can understand thinking the demo was a bit shallow and too straightforward but for it to get such intense vitriol from all corners of the internet is very surprising to me. All the worlds they've shown have looked really cool, I'm just hoping the puzzles and backtracking get a little more involved than what we saw in the demo, which largely consisted of "get costume A in stage, bring it to obvious gimmick B". It'd be nice to have some statues tucked away in places where it's not immediately obvious how to get it.

Also, a warning to anyone planning to read the novel - I've heard that it has spoilers for the game's ending, so if you care about that sort of thing you may want to read it after you've finished a playthrough.

I appreciate your post! I was excited when I realized they've only shown off six chapters; the whole back half of the game is still under wraps. Judging from some interviews Naka has given, it does seem like there will be some opportunities to use costumes in less conventional ways, which sounds good.

Thanks for the info about the novel too, I'll add that to the OP.

How Tims (the Chao-like creatures) Work

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Since a lot of people will likely be completely lost on the intentionally obtuse Tim mechanics, here are some basic tips on how that whole system works if you don't want to puzzle it all out for yourself:

- Tims change color based on what drops you feed them. All Tims can perform any action, but their color affects the probability of how they'll help you in stages. Red Tims will attack enemies alongside you, Pink Tims will collect items for you, Blue Tims will destroy the spiky crystal objects, and Yellow Tims have no particular affinity. When a Tim performs an action, it has a chance to lose some of its color.

- Tims grow by feeding them a ton of drops. When at max size, they become noticeably bigger than other Tims and can breed by having them hop onto a Tim trampoline. Once on the trampoline, you can throw another Tim at them to make the bigger Tim shrink and produce an egg. Tims who aren't at max size can't use the trampolines as they aren't heavy enough to bounce on them. You can also get new Tims by finding Tim eggs in the stages.

- You unlock more stuff in the Isle of Tims by increasing the counter in the middle of the area. Initially this is done by leading Tims over to the wheel and having them turn it, but once you unlock the Tower you can also increase the counter by leading your Tims over to the right side of the tower and having them play on it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
breed by having them hop onto a Tim trampoline. Once on the trampoline, you can throw another Tim at them to make the bigger Tim shrink and produce an egg. Tims who aren't at max size can't use the trampolines as they aren't heavy enough to bounce on them.
certainly wasn't taught this in sex ed

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019
My kids (they loved the suits/powers, tims and the colourful vibe) and I enjoyed the demo on PC. At 60fps, 4K it's genuinely enjoyable and charming (+ extremely weird).

I tried it first on Switch and thought it was terrible though. The frame rate and IQ are not anywhere near good enough. I can't believe the price, especially on Switch. I'd honestly be in day one on Steam if the price wasn't crazy.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think that this laugh is kinda mean. The scene is a bit goofy, but it is not so bad and has a good positive message for kids that will play that game.
Sounds more like a surprised "what the hell is happening" kinda laugh to me? I didn't detect any maliciousness there?
I laughed because I found it goofy too

Oct 29, 2017
I did not play the demo but I watched Giant Bomb play it. I dunno something about this feels like a game I'd play while listening to podcasts if it was free on Game Pass. But for money?

OP
OP
dogbox

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I would like to take a minute to acknowledge Yuji Naka's EBH (Excellent Balan Hat). Take a look at this hat, folks.

As15NLH.png

This hat, and some interviews with some folks behind the game, are featured in this video: