• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
In a way this situation reminds of Sonic Boom. That game also had great cutscene animation and character designs despite being placed in an undercooked game.

Agreed, its frustrating at this point.
For SE, if you are not FF/KH, you may have:

Undestock of retail copies
Small promotion/ads
A fraction of bugdet

I can see a similar scenario happening with NEO TWEWY, mark my words.
Not to mention, it's usually a lottery here in Europe if they'll come translated to other languages other than English. Heck, they even refused to translate Kingdom Hearts 3D back in the day. Thankfully when they do the translations are top notch.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Have to wonder how on earth these odd projects come from Square-Enix. This and Left Alive are being driven by the potential they might have, but it never surfaces.

Feels like the Sonic Cycle is just a curse people who ever worked with Sonic Team might just have.

Nov 17, 2017
HOLY CRAP THAT DOLPHIN ONE. I need to think of how to incorporate that into my OT lmao
111080.jpg

"Drown."

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
As a huge fan of Nights, Burning Rangers, this game makes me sad. Like wtf happened? I thought it was going to be average at worst. But after the demo, this seems like a complete disaster.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I was never interested in the game (not even played the demo), but I have to say that some of these short CGI cutscene stories are actually very wholesome, touching and sad.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is gonna bomb so hard. All the budget went on CGI and nothing went on making a fun game to play.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The lamenting of BD2 having no CGI cutscenes in this thread is bizarre. Team Asano clearly has the budget for whatever he wants in his games, and what he wanted was hand-drawn environments and in-engine cutscenes. If that game had more money, it probably would have been spent on QA and optimization, since it does have some technical hiccups.

Then again, Team Asano games have good project management. Balan clearly does not lol.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
The lamenting of BD2 having no CGI cutscenes in this thread is bizarre. Team Asano clearly has the budget for whatever he wants in his games, and what he wanted was hand-drawn environments and in-engine cutscenes. If that game had more money, it probably would have been spent on QA and optimization, since it does have some technical hiccups.

Then again, Team Asano games have good project management. Balan clearly does not lol.
What's utterly bizarre is your post.
"Budget for whatever he wants"?

You cannot look at BD2 and tell me that that's a result of a director with a blank check. The sentiment of BD2 feeling like a "budget title" is quite common. Did Asano use his budget well? Yes. Does this mean he "clearly had the budget for what he wants"? No.

Also, many people are probably talking about the lack of CG considering the fact that BD had a lengthy CG intro and BS had an opening montage and an ending clip. It's odd that the 3DS entries had lavish openings and the newest entry doesn't.

I also saw a couple of previews and a few people with earlier/Day 1 copies noting the lack of a CG intro.

You think Asano DREAMED of the stiff animations in the in-game cutscenes? No. If he had the budget he probably would've at least had CG for a nice opening montage and I'm sure no director on earth with a blank check would look at the cutscene of Adam vs. Sloan and be like "yep that's exactly what I want."

I just find the people claiming BD2 doesn't have budget constraints to be really odd. It obviously, obviously does.

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I really need some context for the dolphin thing. She was best friends with a dolphin until it suddenly tried to kill her? Now it haunts her in her hospital bed?

Maybe it was just playing and was overly rough and accidentally knocked her out and she goes into Balan Wonderworld dreaming while drowning and the final cutscene is the dolphin saving her?

That's my best guess.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this will be Yuji Naka's last game

Because no one is gonna go near him after this disaster

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I was never interested in the game (not even played the demo), but I have to say that some of these short CGI cutscene stories are actually very wholesome, touching and sad.

Yeah it's a shame how the game is considering the core idea of a very weird, Japanese take on Psychonauts where you enter these peoples' inner worlds to solve their issues is potentially neat.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's a shame how the game is considering the core idea of a very weird, Japanese take on Psychonauts where you enter these peoples' inner worlds to solve their issues is potentially neat.
Agreed and I think the CG openings are actually pretty good, the game itself just doesn't seem fun to play and I hate certain design choices (the dancing animals, the nausea inducing moving levels, the lack of a jump button in certain costumes, the combat, whatever the Tim's are supposed to do, the character designs... etc)

The idea itself was fairly cool and gives me major 40 Winks vibes

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Am I the only one the Dolphin intro makes sense to?

It looks like a case of an accident getting misunderstood as malicious intent, and that gets stuck in her head as betrayal.