• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the first world in the demo and I liked what I saw. Feels like a lost Saturn game with a more modern look. And I mean that in a positive way. It's not "great", but I don't think it's as awful as many say. I actually like that there aren't any directions given. Made me try out a couple of things. I like how the world is "moving" and "bending". It's definitely for a much younger audience, but I think it's kinda charming. Also the sound when you collect gems is almost the same as when you fly through the rings in Nights. It even changes the sound if you collect multiple in a row. Can't be mad at a game that reminds me of Nights, hehe (considering it's a Yuji Naka game it's not that surprising I guess).

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this game is really aimed at kids, instead of everyone like say, a Mario game.
And yet the Switch version of all things looks and performs terribly. Nothing about this game makes sense to me. If you want to target a young audience, don't let the Nintendo port be an afterthought. That should go without saying.

I wonder if their budget got cut down halfway through development. Or COVID killed their development schedule, but SE is not willing to pay for a delay. Or something.

Aesthetic and music are nice, but there's nothing really good to say about the level design, gameplay, or pretty much anything else. You're plopped into this game with barely an explanation and the whole time I'm playing I don't even know what the point of it all is.

I'm convinced they cut some stuff between opening CG and start of the game out of the game for the demo. This just can't be the way this is supposed to be. Same goes for that weird train cutscene after you defeated the first boss, the lack of explanation what the point of these weird Balan stages is and so on.

Or it's just indeed the budget cut thing. That would also explain it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Man, this game's style is out of nowhere. It feels like a fun mix of Kameo, Nights, Mario, bollywood, and Dr. Pernassis' Imaginarium.

The CG cutscenes are great, whimsical, and really remind me of Nights. The visuals are niceties, the colors pop, and the whole floating/moving level with transforming parts and gears is cool. The level gameplay itself started off kind of slow and uninspired, but the further I got in, the more I started to have fun, and the more it started to click.

Once I realized I could switch between the different suits on the fly, that's when I realized what this is going for.

The game kind of feels like they throw too many concepts at you at once, but I wonder if that's just due to the demo being streamlined? I'm curious how the game will turn out and play in the end. I hope it has some Nights type flying stages where you play as Balan, that could be amazing.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've been looking forward to this since the review trailer, and it's a complete clusterfuck of a game. Controls feel sluggish and weird (only one action button), the graphics are disorienting, the weird dancing things everywhere. It's like a really bad platformer that's also kind of a drug trip.

Easy pass.
Yup, that pretty much sums it up for me as well. Right down to the dancing creatures. They look so awkwardly bad mocapped.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I went back to the demo to unlock more levels. Went on to play the level with sheep powers and I kinda stopped at the mini-boss encounter.

Then I went on to play New Super Lucky Tale's demo again and yeah, the comparison between that and Balan Wonderworld really wasn't flattering to the latter in most respects.

Feb 1, 2018
I finished the first world in the demo and I liked what I saw. Feels like a lost Saturn game with a more modern look.
I think this is by far the best definition of the game. You can clearly see that Balan is totally inspired by games from that era, especially Nights -- and since it's made by Naka, it's not exactly a surprise.

I had some fun with the game but as many I hope the content was streamlined for this demo. It sounds "random" all over the place.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Do little kids really need a "platformer for little kids"? I don't think Mario platformers are unplayable for toddlers.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I went back to the demo to unlock more levels. Went on to play the level with sheep powers and I kinda stopped at the mini-boss encounter.

Then I went on to play New Super Lucky Tale's demo again and yeah, the comparison between that and Balan Wonderworld really wasn't flattering to the latter in most respects.
NSLT is really decent, my biggest issue is that most of the time there's no challenge at all.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
This sucks. A great new platformer would've been welcomed. I want to know why or how this happened. I mean there was clearly budget for the game was it just not a very good concept or was that budget mismanaged?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I finished the first world in the demo and I liked what I saw. Feels like a lost Saturn game with a more modern look. And I mean that in a positive way. It's not "great", but I don't think it's as awful as many say. I actually like that there aren't any directions given. Made me try out a couple of things. I like how the world is "moving" and "bending". It's definitely for a much younger audience, but I think it's kinda charming. Also the sound when you collect gems is almost the same as when you fly through the rings in Nights. It even changes the sound if you collect multiple in a row. Can't be mad at a game that reminds me of Nights, hehe (considering it's a Yuji Naka game it's not that surprising I guess).

Mirrors my thoughts.

This triggers every nostalgia receptive in my brain and I enjoyed it. If I found this lost Saturn game in a pre-owned bin at a Book-Off I'd be screaming about a hidden, lost (rough) gem.

I'm really excited for it to come out, while simultaneously 100% understanding why it won't be for the masses. Feels like it's made for a super narrow crowd. I'm fine with that but the game is definitely not going to be a wide success like a Mario or a Sonic.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Came here to share the following thoughts:
•This is like a remake of a lost Saturn game.
•The sound effects sound like they're from Nights.

And yeah, damn, you ripped them out of my head. I'm glad I'm not the only one that responded that way.

I 100% understand why this wouldn't click with people. But this is such a comfy nostalgia blanket that I love it despite its obvious issues. A game that channels the Saturn era this strongly is something only like a dozen of us would even ask for, but it's neat that it got made. I'll be picking this up for sure.

Edit: didn't read that far down the page at first but lol the post above me basically said the same thing I just did. therearedozensofus.gif

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Maybe if they had until October or November to tighten everything up it could be decent but I guess S-E are just okay with sending it to die.

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
Tried out the demo yesterday. Well that sucked. Couldn't even finish it, it was so unbelievably bad. Yuji Naka is a great programmer but his directing ventures are just not working out.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, after the japanese PS5 previews I had slim hope that this will fall into "this is so bad it is good" cathegory, but no. This is just bad, worst type of bad, cannot even have fun by making fun of it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fuck. This is so disappointing reading all this. I guess I should try it for myself but this sucks.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

And yeah, damn, you ripped them out of my head. I'm glad I'm not the only one that responded that way.

I 100% understand why this wouldn't click with people. But this is such a comfy nostalgia blanket that I love it despite its obvious issues. A game that channels the Saturn era this strongly is something only like a dozen of us would even ask for, but it's neat that it got made. I'll be picking this up for sure.

Edit: didn't read that far down the page at first but lol the post above me basically said the same thing I just did. therearedozensofus.gif
I love the Saturn, but those games on there were GOOD. This doesn't sound like it is. NiGHTS still holds up to this day.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this was a Saturn/Dreamcast game, it'd still get poor reviews. Let's not kid ourselves. They got the aesthetic part right, I guess, but they forgot the "good game" part

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I was ready to hate the game after reading how most people are disappointed, but the truth is that I ended up enjoying my time playing the demo. Sure, Balan is stuck in the past and lacks polish, but it captures the genuine simplicity of those mid-tier platformers from the 90s where collecting gems and keys was the best way to spend a rainy afternoon. I think the game is mostly a throwback for those who have experienced the advent of 3D platform games, and that's fine. It's clunky and charming in equal doses, I kinda like it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Mirrors my thoughts.

This triggers every nostalgia receptive in my brain and I enjoyed it. If I found this lost Saturn game in a pre-owned bin at a Book-Off I'd be screaming about a hidden, lost (rough) gem.

I'm really excited for it to come out, while simultaneously 100% understanding why it won't be for the masses. Feels like it's made for a super narrow crowd. I'm fine with that but the game is definitely not going to be a wide success like a Mario or a Sonic.

I'm so happy to read that I'm not the only one who had that Saturn nostalgia flash while playing the demo. :D

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to hate the game after reading how most people are disappointed, but the truth is that I ended up enjoying my time playing the demo. Sure, Balan is stuck in the past and lacks polish, but it captures the genuine simplicity of those mid-tier platformers from the 90s where collecting gems and keys was the best way to spend a rainy afternoon. I think the game is mostly a throwback for those who have experienced the advent of 3D platform games, and that's fine. It's clunky and charming in equal doses, I kinda like it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YESSSS JOIN USSSSS

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah as much as I see the whole lot of issues, this game has such a weird charm that makes me unable to hate it like some here lol

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh wow, what an absolutely awful demo. I don't think I've played anything this bad in a long while (granted, I choose games that I will like most of the time, so this was a bit of an excursion considering the dark clouds that were gathering). Shut it off after 15 minutes, but glad I played the demo: I can now play MHR without worrying that I might be ignoring a good 3d platformer releasing on the same day.

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if a physical copy of this game will eventually be one of those rarities.

It'd be interesting to know how many they're pressing.

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
Made a mini-review of my take on it.

Balan Wonderworld demo starts off with a beautiful opening cutscene which is quite charming and quite zany. You have the option to play as a Boy or Girl (as far as I can tell doesn't really effect much). Then you enter the hub world. In the hub world you can walk up to each level of the game, at first you only have access to 1. The main gimmick of this 3D platformer is you can transform into various outfits to do task. In the first level you get a Wolf outfit where you jump and cause a tornado spin to break blocks, shortly later you get a dog guy that can flap his legs in the air to do an extended jump. Each main stage has 8 "Balan Statues" (gold statues of the titular character) to collect but from what I've noticed you can't get all 8 in one go.

You can have up to 3 transformations at any one time. You can switch between the power ups with the L or R button. In the event you pick up a 4th, it will replace which transformation was in slot #3. If you take damage from an enemy or fall of the edge of a level, you will lose whichever power up you currently had on. From the bit I've played, in some stages you won't be able to access all the Balan Statues, so you need power ups you find in other stages, meaning you'll have to replay through levels several times unless you happen to know which power up you need for each statue.

Throughout each level there are colored jewels you can collect. I don't notice extra lives in the game (though I didn't lose all my power ups either), and from just the first hub the jewels are used to feed this baby chicks. I've fed them several times, not really noticing much difference. In each stage, you'll find Balan sitting around, when talking to him you'll get a quick time mini game, of the few I've played of him flying around and you have to hit the button at the right time to get a score of Excellent to Ooops. If you get all the quick time events at excellent you'll get a Balan Statue. At the end of each stage you get a item of some sort to go to the next stage. Rebeating a level rewards you with a rainbow jewel. Within the demo the rainbow jewel can be used to feed the Chicken Statue but I didn't feel like grinding out 20 jewels.

After collecting so many Balan Statues you'll unlock the ability to use the train. I'm not sure what it'll do in the main game, as a big cutscene plays out of you getting onto it, but the demo just plops you back in the hub world. Perhaps to go to different worlds? In the hub world besides feeding the chickens jewels. You can have the chickens spin a little wheel in the middle of the stage (they'll do it on there own), after so many spins it'll build something int he center of the hub. In the demo 500 spins is the max you're allowed and I got a Tower up to level 2, other than seeing the chicks play around on it, not sure of it's purpose.

The music in the game is great, the visual are pretty awesome, and the designs of the some of the transformations are neat (albeit on the cute side). There were some issues I had with it that has discouraged me from wanting to purchase it as originally planned. The major factor is the playable character moves incredibly slow. I'm not sure why tey decided the main character needs to move as slow as a snail, doesn't matter which transformation I used so far in the game, I wish you can speed up, I think increasing the movement speed by 50% would probably fix this. Not sure if there is a way to quickly get a transformations from other stages, but the need to replay another stage to get a power up you need seems quite unnecessary. I rather dislike the quick time event things with Balan, as if you don't ace it, you lose the opportunity to try again and have to repeat the whole stage to get another go if you want to get all the Balan Statues. The controls, while they work, are quite simple as you can only jump, use an action, pause or switch power ups. Using the pro controller, 50% of the buttons do the same thing.

Perhaps I'll check out some let's play of the later stages but initial impressions aren't great.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
No like literally every design decision that went into this game is wrong

Like I'm just asking myself "why?" for every aspect of the game

why is there an animation for every time you switch costumes

why is there a limit to the costumes you carry

why do you have to have a key before unlocking the costume if the key is gonna be right next to it anyway and it regenerates

why do you lose the costume after 1 hit

why is there a really slow QTE section

why is the running animation the way it is

why is there no explanation for the jewels that you're collecting and what do you get out of feeding those birds

why does the world unfold around you like that

why are there people and creatures randomly dancing throughout the level

why, instead of having some clear way of expressing that the dancers are a mirage, do they just disappear like some graphical glitch (like someone else in here pointed out)

why did they insist on every form of your character only having 1 possible action

why do some costumes not allow you to jump

why is even the camera slow

Why are there so many CG cutscenes when the game looks like total ass and the game plays like shit. I mean I LOOOOVE CG cutscenes but don't use all of the budget on them

Why did you spend money on making variations of CG cutscenes based on the character's skin/hair color

Why does Balan talk in Japanese(?) and then everyone else in gibberish like what do you get out of that

why did they insist on the character making an annoying noise for every action

Just everything about the game feels utterly wrong

It's like Yuji Naka wanted something with NiGHTS-like atmosphere but reluctantly put a game around it. But the problem is even the atmosphere feels half-assed. Can I know why my main character (slowly) break dances for 3 seconds and then randomly gets sad and stops? At least in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams I was able to understand what the characters' issues were. Here it just seems like my character was hit with an extremely subtle sad spell and decided to walk off

And I hate devs who go into a project with the goal of evoking nostalgia. Bc 100% of the time that means literally looking and playing like a game of the time period they're aiming to evoke nostalgia towards, except with almost none of the charm, nor the quality.

lol ok now I need to try this

finally

Jul 22, 2019
very weird game, not sure what I'm playing or doing exactly, feels like fun indie game for $15

Oct 31, 2017
Me playing this game

tenor.gif

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
just tossing in the thoughts I had in the other thread. Game is fine, fight me

Idk guys I kinda like it for what it is, lol. Looks good, plays fine, music is great! Turned my brain off and had a decent time.

I think biggest takeaway is that I am absolutely NOT the intended audience. Game is for young tykes who want something low-stakes and just wanna goof around. It's a perfectly serviceable little thing. Not what I wanted given the price and pedigree, but I'm still happy it exists.

...Also can I just say I unironically love the dancing npcs —

fZv1KsQ.gif

— just fuckin vibin lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
That Yuji Naka is behind this is so baffling. It's like he took every lesson from the games he developed and did the opposite.
Not so baffling once you remember that he wasn't even the creative lead/director on the best of those games he programmed or produced. Ohshima, Hirokazu Yasuhara, and even Takashi Iizuka (strictly as designer) had much more to do with all that. There was a time more than a decade ago when Naka's team at PROPE did surprisingly good/great stuff (Let's Tap, Ivy the Kiwi, and Rodea on Wii), but that's clearly passed. He's a known asshat in real-life, too, and that probably doesn't help development.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It somehow feels the same as unlocking and playing as Sonic in Christmas NiGHTS on the Saturn.

Yea my first thought was that the game sort of feels like running around as a human in Nights did. Even does that folding horizon thing that Nights did.

But not loving it much. Only did the two zones in world 1 and uninstalled. Some interesting ideas and I want to support platform games, but eh...