• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Garafolo, not Schefter sorry:

It'll of course depend on what we call a "top tier QB" but it sounds like they only expected to be in on Watson or maybe Rodgers.

Yea that's the tweet I saw earlier. We'll see what happens. But the message is very clear: we're looking to move on because we don't think you can lead a team to the Super Bowl and the Browns have no interest in having the worst QB in what is -- at worst -- the second best division in the AFC. They will not let QB play be the reason their top 10 roster isn't positioned as a playoff team consistently.

Baker's opportunity is equally clear: Play better and at minimum increase your trade value and the size of your next contract, which is currently in shambles right now. Or, win over the team leadership and the fanbase and be secure for years to come. In the end, his play and leadership will dictate what happens and his career trajectory.

I don't think they cared how he'd respond tbh. He's under contract with them for another season and its unlikely they were interested in giving him a long term extension. So he either has to play the year out for them, or wherever they decide to trade him if thats what the choose to do. He can try and sit out or whatever, but not sure what that accomplishes for a mediocre QB coming off a terrible year who is looking for a pay day.
*nods*

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they cared how he'd respond tbh. He's under contract with them for another season and its unlikely they were interested in giving him a long term extension. So he either has to play the year out for them, or wherever they decide to trade him if thats what the choose to do. He can try and sit out or whatever, but not sure what that accomplishes for a mediocre QB coming off a terrible year who is looking for a pay day.

Definitely means they are banking on him being mediocre next year, too, which I think are good odds; because if this lights a fire under his ass, which I doubt, and he plays lights out, like he'll want to stay in Cleveland.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Definitely means they are banking on him being mediocre next year, too, which I think are good odds; because if this lights a fire under his ass, which I doubt, and he plays lights out, like he'll want to stay in Cleveland.
I don't think they're "banking" on his mediocrity; they just don't see a reason to believe otherwise. I'm sure they'd love to have some confidence that he'll be good or better, but the data we have on Baker suggests that is very unlikely. We've seen what other QBs can do with the players he was seemingly incapable of throwing the ball to. It's been quite the indictment, and that indictment goes well beyond just his injury last year.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Baker isn't a very good quarterback and this has been known for awhile now. He can't read defenses, isn't a good pocket passer and defenses figured out the only time he does well is when he rolls out to throw.

Nobody should be surprised they tried to go after the best available quarterback that was available because the Browns have a really good team just a very average to mostly below average quarterback that makes a lot of dumb mistakes. Changing that single piece will give them a much better chance to win now while they have a good core team.

Some really weird takes in here.

Last edited:

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Baker will be fine. He's got all that Hulu and Progressive money. Baker needs to get better, a lot better than what he's been bringing on the field. OBJ, emotional guy that he is, called it out and even contributed in a Rams win at the Super Bowl once he got a better quarterback to throw him the ball.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Baker isn't a very good quarterback and this has been known for awhile now. He can't read defenses, isn't a good pocket passer and defenses figured out the only time he does well is when he rolls out to throw.

Nobody should be surprised they tried to go after the best available quarterback that was available because the Browns have a really good team just a very average to mostly below average quarterback that makes a lot of dumb mistakes. Changing that single piece will give them a much better chance to win now while they have a good core team.

Some really weird takes in here.
Baker will be fine. He's got all that Hulu and Progressive money. Baker needs to get better, a lot better than what he's been bringing on the field. OBJ, emotional guy that he is, called it out and even contributed in a Rams win at the Super Bowl once he got a better quarterback to throw him the ball.
agreed on all counts.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Exactly!! They didn't care which is why they went after the best available qb. Some Browns fans act like Baker is the next Brady and deserves elite qb treatment. He chose to play hurt like many players do, he just turned in an atrocious performance.