• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
My avatar speaks volumes.
this cant be real lmao
61fRNjZ.png

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I think the graphics are fine for like an rts where could only see them running around a map like ants or something but having to see their hideous, hideous mugs in a series that's always had a history of showing amazing/powerful dynamic character profile shots flying across the screen it's so bad I can't even.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
There's also the issue of the budget, which was literally a shoestring.
I have hard time believing that budget was the issue instead of minimal development time and bad direction. That Marvel license especially during the time this game was developed had to be more expensive than ever. This game also had a cinematic story mode at launch. Even if the cinematics were awful those and the voice acting could not have been cheap.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I don't care how it looks now, the game is still fun as fuck and the netcode is pretty solid. It's dirt cheap (I think deluxe is now 9.99) and there isn't any DRM anymore so the game loads even faster. It's kind of hard to complain about this title anymore, lets just hope MVC as a franchise isn't dead going forward and they take the criticisms of MVCI seriously. Primarily, rushing a game to market because of whatever Kevin Feige has going on. I honestly believe MVCI, especially considering Dragon Ball was revealed close to MVCI's launch, they wanted a Marvel game out before Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Infinity War hit theaters.

Not unlike how Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 just nearly missed the release of End Game in the theaters but a few short months.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Ui is mobile-game tier, characters that were lifted wholesale from MvC3 and given new textures look really bad. Characters created from scratch look good. Backgrounds are okay.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think it looks even worse than games with indie budgets, which makes me wonder how much money Capcom was able to invest in MvCI. There are comics that aim for the photorealistic look instead of the more stylized cell shaded look but they came up way short. SFV kind of split the difference and it looks just fine.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
People are still reposting the terrible Chun Li and Dante faces despite it getting fixed.
But I guess the fixed faces aren't much better.

The game itself looks okay when it's like Nova and Sigma on the screen, but a few of the character faces (Cap, Spencer) and the art design is mostly what suffers overall.

Still, despite all the issues, the best gameplay of any modern fighting fame plus amazing online. It's too bad tons of people would rather put their energy into whining about MvCI and speculate about a sequel instead of playing MvCI or even UMvC3. I'd love if even half of the people complaining would be up for some games.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how it looks now, the game is still fun as fuck and the netcode is pretty solid. It's dirt cheap (I think deluxe is now 9.99) and there isn't any DRM anymore so the game loads even faster. It's kind of hard to complain about this title anymore, lets just hope MVC as a franchise isn't dead going forward and they take the criticisms of MVCI seriously. Primarily, rushing a game to market because of whatever Kevin Feige has going on. I honestly believe MVCI, especially considering Dragon Ball was revealed close to MVCI's launch, they wanted a Marvel game out before Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Infinity War hit theaters.

Not unlike how Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 just nearly missed the release of End Game in the theaters but a few short months.

Don't mean to change subjects, but where is this? You're talking steam, right?

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
People are still reposting the terrible Chun Li and Dante faces despite it getting fixed.
But I guess the fixed faces aren't much better.

The game itself looks okay when it's like Nova and Sigma on the screen, but a few of the character faces (Cap, Spencer) and the art design is mostly what suffers overall.

Still, despite all the issues, the best gameplay of any modern fighting fame plus amazing online. It's too bad tons of people would rather put their energy into whining about MvCI and speculate about a sequel instead of playing MvCI or even UMvC3. I'd love if even half of the people complaining would be up for some games.

I still play UMVC3 to this day and vastly prefer it to Infinite. I was excited that a PC port was announced, so I got on that ASAP.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
As you said, characters and textures look good, but the general style used for the game is bad, bland, and looks like a mobile shovelware game.

Well said. The biggest issue for me was the entire style of the game just came off as super generic. The game felt more like a licensed shovel ware rather than the next installment in a historic fighting game franchise.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
They ripped the characters, supers and effects straight from Marvel 3 and made them look worse across the board. -_-

Only ones that don't look terrible are the original characters made for this game Jedah, Sigma, Venom, etc and Doctor Strange

Pretty much this. Also the DmC costume for Dante looks 10000x better than the default one!

I just don't care for the artstyle, it looks super bland and generic. Absolutely an MVC3 rip-off for the worse.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
They should just copy the art style of Into the Spiderverse for next gen, if they can get an actual budget.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
in motion it looks fine but close ups look terrible

I saw a video that compared animations with Injustice 2 and I was like "why do I prefer infinite???"

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
How do you look at this conehead and think "Yup put her up front."

maxresdefault.jpg

The concept art for the game looked really good too. What a shame.

www.youtube.com

WHY DID IT LOOK SO BAD?! MVCI Artwork Review

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_doodMy official hardware provider is ASUS ROG, check 'em out! â–şâ–şâ–şhttp://rogarena.comGet 10% off X-Split...

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at people whining about how they 'fixed' dante and chuns faces and that folks aren't taking that into consideration

YxbSCAQ.jpg

this motherfucker's hair and teeth are still piss mop yellow in his texture files. you gotta mod in white hair! not to mention how just about every single char has this shit going on:

It's not only Chun-li, the game really has a problem with microcephallic character models.

CeDogyw.png

the game CAN look like, passable if you tweak a whole bunch of shit but in it's vanila state the monster CA and godawful char models really stand out

even with as much makeup you can put on this pig, it just ultimately looks 'okay'
BgoAdOu.jpg

F0jOByk.jpg

OP
OP

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
lmao at people whining about how they 'fixed' dante and chuns faces and that folks aren't taking that into consideration

YxbSCAQ.jpg

this motherfucker's hair and teeth are still piss mop yellow in his texture files. you gotta mod in white hair! not to mention how just about every single char has this shit going on:

the game CAN look like, passable if you tweak a whole bunch of shit but in it's vanila state the monster CA and godawful char models really stand out

even with as much makeup you can put on this pig, it just ultimately looks 'okay'
BgoAdOu.jpg

F0jOByk.jpg

Honestly, that Dante isn't even that bad. At bare minimum the hair colour needs tweaking. The face itself isn't that bad there. Tweak the hair to a silvery finish and it's Dante, for sure. Unless you want DMCV Dante, but he's in is 40s and rough at that point.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
it's pure garbage

pls return to mvc2 style pixelart next time
MvCI does not look good, but MvC2 is the absolute last game in this series that should be championed for anything aesthetic.

They just ported over the CPS2 game sprites, stripped several animations from them, and slapped them onto poorly clashing 3D backgrounds that evoked nothing from either the Capcom or the Marvel universe. MvC2 and CVS2 are nearly MUGEN-tier hackjobs when it comes to visuals.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It's an ugly game, but not so ugly that it shoulda got memed to death without people giving it a shot.

Power Rangers Battle for the Grid is uglier, but it's a dope game too.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol why even make this thread if the best defense you can put up is a shrug and "it's not THE WORST looking game ever...ok?"

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, the hate for MvCI's visuals is a bit overblown. It's mainly just the regular human-looking characters (Chris, Captain Marvel, Thor, Dante, etc.) who look assy; the more stylized and/or anime-style characters (X, Zero, Spider-Man, Jedah, etc.) look great, I think. The UI's pretty awful too, though.

Oct 27, 2017
What upsets me more than anything about Infinite is that the concept art is actually really nice looking, so like, why did this translate so poorly into the 3D models?

TNhQnQU.jpg

c4JNOvS.jpg

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
they outsourced most of it and it shows. it wouldn't normally be a problem but it really feels like it got the cheap, ugly end of the stick. It could have been fine with better direction and some really strong outsource art management/direction but I have a feeling capcom didn't really care to pony up more cash and hoped people either wouldnt notice or wouldnt care

but man it shows. it really is disappointing looking when most of the series has looked great

i would love for them to have the balls to go back to 2D and really push the limit of what can be done there but there's zero chance of that

Oct 27, 2017
What upsets me more than anything about Infinite is that the concept art is actually really nice looking, so like, why did this translate so poorly into the 3D models?

TNhQnQU.jpg

c4JNOvS.jpg

The easy answer is the two cents budget for the game but ultimately I would say the real culprit here was the art direction trying to mimic the MCU aesthesics.

Avengers from S-E, far from having budgetary problems, is on course to do the same mistake.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
The art style/direction and menus/UI was terrible, imo.

Like, Jedah and Venom look really cool, but that is the minority.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The thought has crossed my mind that that paltry amount of concept art is viewable in game simply as a way for the artists to say that this wasn't their fault.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some character models look perfectly okay, others actually good (Jedah, basically lol), and some pretty fucking bad.

Some stages actually look good, but most are just the dullest shit.

Some characters have some good, new animation, but most just cribbed from MvC3.

The special effects are mostly good.

I'd say it's a mixed bag that's not quite as awful as some people insisted. But this is a game that should've been universally dazzling. A mixed bag might as well be a bag full of shit.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game looked terrible in the xbox one x, even KOF XIV post patch looks better, even if all the time it was obvious that the game was made on a budget

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It doesn't look "bad" but it doesn't look all that great either. The inconsistency on models didn't help along with a lot of the stages looking samey. More or less, if this was a fighter without as much legacy, I don't think the graphics would've been as big of a deal. But when MVC as a whole is known for being stylish and popping out, MVCI was a total 180.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The models in SFV were also outsourced and they look great though.
like 95% of Naughty Dog's games are outsourced and they clearly look fine. It's not that outsourcing itself is a problem, it's the quality of the studios they outsource to and then how they direct, manage, and process those assets.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I really hate that most of the stages look like straight up look crap in this game, like nothing going on in most of them on top of them having a muted ass color palette. I think thats my biggest thing with this game. Nothing fucking pops at all visually. The weird proportions and bad faces for a lot of characters just add insult to injury.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
For a fighter, I found the lighting in-game to be good. All those crazy costumes and stuff stood out decently well in combat, effects were composed pretty well, too.

The Armored / Original characters look great. I think it's obvious they focused on certain materials that worked well with a realism-inspired style (Metal, Armor, Fire), and that's why they stand out the most.

But to take a "Realistic" look to models that are meant to squash and stretch like exaggerated comic characters is a clash of ideals. Not to mention the cinematography does nothing to hide the fact that these are distorted combat models, made to look best from a flat 2D perspective, and not adventure characters in a 3d Over-the-shoulder world. They really shouldn't have meddled with Capcom's art design know-how. Comic series are built on varied styles! Even covers and interiors rarely match. It didn't need to go SUPER MCU-liwood.

Venom's goopiness, Panther's proud, slashy methods of attack, SIgma's absolutely boss attitude and self-importance... those kind of things came through GREAT. I could put slightly off faces to the side for a while, to reach the quality those characters brought. It would have been great if they could have upped the standard cast designs over time.

I'd still buy MVCI over again (and Tatsunoko VS Capcom) if they added and improved to it. It definitely wasn't SO FAR OFF that I'd rather be without it, than have it's imperfect self available, with a chance to grow and improve. It's definitely the most solid online experience I ever had with a MVC title, personally, and I really like the new characters. Probably also my favorite playing version of Ironman in any VS series game, too.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
is that concept art book any good? I wanted to buy it but was told it was so-so
It's pretty decent overall as far as SFV concept art books go, the Japanese version has been completely scanned and posted on Reddit if you're curious, not gonna post a link 'cause I dunno if it breaks this site's rules

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
"It isn't that bad" is not a defense.
Imagine that being your strongest endorsement after a meal, or a movie.

Or if a cute little kid drew a picture and asked what you thought, eyes shining like the wrong words could crush their little heart.

Or your significant other walks out of a dressing room.

It's pretty decent overall as far as SFV concept art books go, the Japanese version has been completely scanned and posted on Reddit if you're curious, not gonna post a link 'cause I dunno if it breaks this site's rules

That would definitely break the rules, yeah.