• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
They need the business in the GPU department, Nvidia doesn't care due to market share

No they don't the die space they have to sacrifice for desktop gpus over for consoles or servers will keep them from chasing a market that will heavily tilt towards nvidia for the foreseeable future.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm far less concerned about the single digit percentage difference between AMD and Nvidia's cards than I am about the difference in power consumption and heat.

I want AMD to be competitive on the GPU market and I'm glad there are now, relatively, affordable graphic cards available to consumers at MSRP. That is good news for everyone but the most cynical and I should know, I am one, but I do feel that AMD needs to do better. I don't as much feel they are being competitive, right now, as I feel they are overvaluing their products, and not just their graphics cards.

Before someone says I'm an Intel/Nvidia fan, yes I do have an Nvidia graphics card, as I've had plenty others in the past, but I am using an AMD processor. I care far more about performance and value than about the brand.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
They're priced for an enthusiast market that doesn't think the MSRP is actually worth it when it's an obvious stopgap for the next generation of hardware that's around the corner, and anyone who's been waiting a year or two for an affordable high end card at this point is going to keep waiting.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much my story. I got a 5600XT when they launched, then the pandemic hit and everything went to hell for pricing and availability. Then I discovered that the damned series of GPUs has a bug (combination of hardware and software, sadly) that causes HDMI audio to just stop working out of nowhere. This coupled with my wanting to use DLSS and RT at some point ended up making me get a 3060 on a Newegg flash deal back earlier in the year and I couldn't be happier. Moved the 5600XT into my office desk to replace my aging GTX 1060 and now I have a spare 1060 sitting around Just In Case.

And I'm a Linux user across the devices. DLSS and RT from within Proton are a treat.
I have a Gsync monitor, and Plex also only supports Nvidia GPUs on Linux. There's just so many micro-inconveniences to using AMD cards at this point. The Nvidia advantage has really built up over the years.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yes, but RT stil isn't even supported in a lot of releases and when it is, it's still not quite in the realm where it's a game changer quite yet. It has a long way to go.
This argument doesn't work when AMD is charging a premium for their GPU's, why pay 800 bucks for a GPU and not expect to enjoy RT.
it's not 2016 anymore, you don't just pick up a RX 580 for $200 and claim it's good enough because ultra settings are not worth it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Nvidia makes better cards but that really doesn't carry a ton of weight for me with how unattainable they are, particularly for reasonable prices. I own a 2070 which has held up well enough but if the market wasn't the disaster it's been I probably would've upgraded by now. If the current situation is representative of where things will be when I actually decide to pull the trigger on a new GPU I'll most likely go AMD. But the way things have been kind of motivated me to hold onto my 2070 for as long as possible so we'll see.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
i have exclusively used AMD/ATi cards since the late 90's, but recently switched to a RTX 3080.

DLSS and whatever hardware enables the moonlight streaming are total fucking game changers.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GPU warriors are even worse than console ones, what with all this anecdotal evidence of "well I don't know any friends who have one!" I know the numbers say Nvidia has the market share, nah dur. Doesn't mean AMD GPU users don't exist. I really like my 6800XT, and at the time it was far cheaper than the 3080 plus I don't need RT or DLSS. 1440p ultra wide 144fps is my needs, and AMD does just that.

Yeah these revisions aren't helpful to the majority of power users, but they aren't meant for those people. Just like the 3040/50/60 are meant for lower end too.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Don't think I'd ever consider an AMD GPU unless I had literally no other option purely because of NVENC alone. Stupidly good quality recording / streaming with no performance hit that also doesn't require you to have a second PC dedicated to encoding.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
GPU warriors are even worse than console ones, what with all this anecdotal evidence of "well I don't know any friends who have one!" I know the numbers say Nvidia has the market share, nah dur. Doesn't mean AMD GPU users don't exist. I really like my 6800XT, and at the time it was far cheaper than the 3080 plus I don't need RT or DLSS. 1440p ultra wide 144fps is my needs, and AMD does just that.

Yeah these revisions aren't helpful to the majority of power users, but they aren't meant for those people. Just like the 3040/50/60 are meant for lower end too.
6800XT is a good card. However, did you notice what was missing from the new AMD lineup?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
6800XT is a good card. However, did you notice what was missing from the new AMD lineup?
Oh I know they skipped refreshing the 6800, and understandable when it's still a power house card. Granted the revision is just purely to flush in more stock and squeeze as much power out before RDNA 3, so I don't blame them for skipping the 6800.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
My last several cards were AMD before moving to a 3080. Besides the better features, the driver performance and stability is also worth a premium with NVIDIA.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS is way too widespread and way too good to justify buying basically any of AMDs current offerings imo. They're effectively out of the game until there's enough of a power leap to invalidate DLSS in the games it's currently in, especially with AMDs lackluster RT performance compared to Nvidia. That or FSR 2.0 needs to be updated into a ton of 1-2 year old games, which I highly doubt will happen.

That said, if you have a use case for the larger (on average) VRAM pool or plan on keeping RT off in most games, they're decent cards.

The market isn't really there anymore. I guess it all technically sells through, but It's pretty easy to get a 3000 series nvidia GPU now. You don't need to be there the femtosecond it restocks anymore.
FSR 2.0 runs better on Nvidia cards as well.
Plus if you are a content creator or do anything outside of gaming (Stream, DCC tools, etc) Nvidia is a no brainer.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Oh I know they skipped refreshing the 6800, and understandable when it's still a power house card. Granted the revision is just purely to flush in more stock and squeeze as much power out before RDNA 3, so I don't blame them for skipping the 6800.
That's the card that folks want though and one that wasn't refreshed and not sold for MSRP. Hence the premise of the OP and related article is of dubious value.

I do agree on why AMD is doing that, but that's the same with NVIDIA and of course the AIBs.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I have a Gsync monitor, and Plex also only supports Nvidia GPUs on Linux. There's just so many micro-inconveniences to using AMD cards at this point. The Nvidia advantage has really built up over the years.
Yeah, I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle being a longtime Linux user but also being team green. I went with the 5600XT form the 1060 to try and get into a good space on my desktop because of the advantages that tend to come from using AMD there recently, but... yeah, I realized after not a long time that I still prefer waiting for my dkms module to recompile with my kernel updates and all the advantages I get of sticking with nVidia over going to AMD.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Suprised how down people are on AMD cards. My 6800XT serves me well but I am just gonna wait for a 7800XT or 7900XT.

I imagine APUs and consoles are probably what keep Radeon going.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Seriously thinking about downgrading from my 3070 ti FE to a 6650xt. I was targeting a 3060 ti FE, but couldn't find any at the time. It's a great card, but it's also loud and hot. Which is awful in the summer months.

Yeah I'm glad I managed to get a 3060ti off queue at evga. The 3070ti seemed very hot. I never hear this card when gaming.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
No they don't the die space they have to sacrifice for desktop gpus over for consoles or servers will keep them from chasing a market that will heavily tilt towards nvidia for the foreseeable future.
I mean, they 100% have the market share, it's a factual statement lol it's not even close actually

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
AMD GPUs still not great for Adobe Premiere and After FX right?
I need something more modern to play around with UE5 tbh, but can only justify the cost if I can use it for work

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess I'm just a gigantic idiot for buying a 6800 XT, huh? Ok well, fuck me, I guess.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Always liked AMD cards. I have a 5600xt that runs anything I throw at it in 1080p and most times 1440p. Ray Tracing isn't really as big a deal to me.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
My 5700XT was a deal back when it released at $399.

The stuff they've been putting out now has inflated msrps. I sure hope they've improved their driver game, because they sucked bigtime when I had my 5700XT. Nvidia ran circles around them,

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Suprised how down people are on AMD cards.
It's not that they're bad products, they're just inferior in a way that makes them a poor value proposition for just about everybody. They're extremely competitive, even compelling, with some software, and then so thoroughly outclassed in other software from a practical standpoint (software with DLSS and ray tracing) that the top of the line AMD cards are only competing with nvidia's offerings a couple products down the stack.

Oct 29, 2017
It's not that they're bad products, they're just inferior in a way that makes them a poor value proposition for just about everybody. They're extremely competitive, even compelling, with some software, and then so thoroughly outclassed in other software from a practical standpoint (software with DLSS and ray tracing) that the top of the line AMD cards are only competing with nvidia's offerings a couple products down the stack.

Pretty much.

I've ping-ponged between AMD and Nvidia cards since getting into PC gaming proper. The 6000 series cards are good--but "good" isn't good enough to move the needle. Not at parity in price and performance with less features against a competitor beating you 4-to-1.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the profit margins go:

Enterprise servers >> desktop GPUs >>>> consoles > xCloud servers

AMD is in a good position with what I'm guessing to be the two least profitable categories while Nvidia has the two most profitable categories.

Neither of them makes their own chips, it's all contracted out to TSMC or Samsung, so it's in their interest to focus as much as possible on the most profitable products that they can sell.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Yes, but RT stil isn't even supported in a lot of releases and when it is, it's still not quite in the realm where it's a game changer quite yet. It has a long way to go.
People buying the latest high end GPUs want to be on the cutting edge of tech.
No one is going to give up ShadowPlay, DLSS, Ray Tracing, Gsync, RTX Voice and what ever other thing that Nvidia is going to innovate in next for........ ummmmmmmm, so what does AMD offer exactly?
Maybe a few extra FPS in some games, at native resolutions?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So I guess I'm just a gigantic idiot for buying a 6800 XT, huh? Ok well, fuck me, I guess.
If you enjoy it, does the opinion of random internet people really matter?

But, still…
22bec2a0-30bb-4e12-8f36-6aa1a0d47c97_text.gif

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I imagine the profit margins go:

Enterprise servers >> desktop GPUs >>>> consoles > xCloud servers

AMD is in a good position with what I'm guessing to be the two least profitable categories while Nvidia has the two most profitable categories.

Neither of them makes their own chips, it's all contracted out to TSMC or Samsung, so it's in their interest to focus as much as possible on the most profitable products that they can sell.

It's more enterprise servers>>laptops>>desktops>>>desktop GPUs>>>consoles> unsure about xcloud servers.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I wonder how this thread would have went if it was titled differently. 😐

Nvidia owns most of the gaming GPU market. AMD would need an Intel level slip up from Nvidia which probably won't happen. Ultimately consoles and APUs are probably what will keep Radeon around for the foreseeable future. If they didn't go in on APUs and basically need em for laptops they'd probably be better off just axing GPUs and going just CPU only.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Furthermore, AMD has little reason to get all too price-competitive when the same processing nodes make oodles more money on the CPU side, especially for servers, where their EPYC series is unmatched. There's little incentive to allocate more resources towards GPU dies, at least now that we're seemingly leaving the extreme crypto shortage.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
MSRP is still overpriced

RTX 4000 dropping Q3
This.

6650XT matches a RTX 3060 - a card that would be $80 cheaper at MSRP. And the hypothetical 3060 at MSRP is already not a particularly great value.

So you pay a premium for a card with comparable raster performance and a worse feature set. But hey, it's available I guess? But a premium for availability kind of applies to everything. GPU market has sucked since the 20 series hit.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't think I know anyone who thinks this post is remotely relevant to the subject of the thread.
Theres like 20 posts after mine talking about no one wanting most of the AMD gpus. This is literally the same thing. It's pretty relevant as this could be part of the reason that things are reasonably priced .

Idk why my post bothers you more than the other ones. I know you probably just saw the first post mentioning that nobody wants them and just commented.

It's okay you can still buy the GPUs if you want, nobody is shaming you

Last edited: