• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally have any in mind, but there's a lot of talk about good shows ruined by a bad ending.

Does the opposite ever happen? A bad or meh show that is elevated by an amazing ending?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The Leftovers

Was pretty let down by the show overall, tonally very messy (imo).

But it pulled it together by the end.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I found Dollhouse just okay overall, but I remember really liking the ending.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The Leftovers

Was pretty let down by the show overall, tonally very messy (imo).

But it pulled it together by the end.
I'm mixed on that ending. I think The Leftovers was at it's absolute best in Season 2, while Season 3 was a mess.
I kind of wish the last episode never happened, not because I think it's bad, but because I think what the season was trying to say, perhaps what the entire show was trying to say, would hit harder if the last shot of the show was his father sitting on the roof, nothing having happened, asking "now what?"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've not actually stuck with a show for long enough to find out if I didn't enjoy it much... films, though... Split's ending made me love it after being a bit lukewarm on it at first.

The twist was pretty entertaining. Was thinking about the show recently but then remembered whedon made it:/
So did a lot of other talented people, same with his other shows. Fuck Joss, but the shows are still great.

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
Can't really name any shows since I would likely drop it before getting to the end in the first place.

If we can count films, Monsters University is pretty dull and derivative for the first hour, but has one of the best third acts of any Pixar film.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
SSSS.Dynazenon was a little lacking compared to SSSS.Gridman but the ending was fantastic. I'm glad Trigger is still delivering type of hype that Gurren-Lagann and Kill La Kill fans crave.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Star Wars Rebels

It failed at incredibly basic plots early on, was tonally allover the place in the first few seasons, had audio issues, no stakes, repetitive plots... and then the final season knocked it out of the park to the point of being as good if not better than the best of Clone Wars.

Nov 1, 2017

The fun thing about Dollhouse is they pretty much knew they were going to get canceled so they basically did a speed run of four seasons of plot in like 7 episodes

Also the series finale is a direct sequel to a season 1 episode that never aired on TV, which is absolutely wild

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Good call, seem to remember a lot of twists.

Eliza Dushku also starred in Tru calling which started generically, someone dies, she goes back in time to investigate why and save them. Way too late they add a rival and mythology that elevates the set-up. He tries to ensure the victim stays dead but crucially isn't portrayed as evil, just wants to ensure things stay on a natural course to prevent.... well we'll never know. If they just introduced him earlier it could have turned into a good show.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a hard qualifier because bad shows don't usually make it to a satisfying ending. It's not like a 2 hour movie, it's a fucking commitment.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
2009 remake of V (alien invasion show)

Since they knew the show was getting cancelled, in the last episode the climatic protagonist group plan fails, most of the good guys die, the aliens mind control all humans and win. Good guys completely lose. Was amazing.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Six Feet Under. That ending was amazing. Everything else not so much and very average.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Now that I thing about it, a lot of Power Rangers. It's mostly kind of mediocre or unremarkable, and then you have one episode in the middle of the season that is really fantastic (usually a crossover) and then a couple of episodes for the ending that are amazing.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
There's a possible universe where Dollhouse was a well-paced show that ratcheted up the stakes over four or five seasons. Instead, we got an incredibly slow case-of-the-week first season and an any% apocalypse speedrun of a second season.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's a book, but Shuichi Yoshida's Parade is a solid 3/5 - well-written, competent, blah blah, etc - until a fascinating swerve at the end recontextualises just about everything and bumps it up an extra star.

A bit of a controversial take, but I think All That Jazz is just fine for the most part. The ending number is ludicrously powerful / god-tier though and it's what everyone leaves the film thinking about:

Last edited: