• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
So I was playing Doom Eternal via gamepass and I noticed I had to connect to the internet to play the campaign. I thought it would be a checkin type of thing but then I decided to put my console in offline mode to test out something. Turns out this game requires the internet to play at any time. Why does the campaign need internet to play? I barely ever play any kind of online multiplayer besides fighting games. I tried playing young blood as well via gamepass and I've decided to just uninstall it in particular, and wont be playing it ever again. Kind of reminds me of how siri needed the internet just to open an app on my phone. I understand most people in the west will always have internet on but I think out of principle it doesn't make any sense at all. Especially in areas where fast internet is either too expensive or not stable. Always on internet was one of the reasons I initially didn't like the Xbox One launch. So if my internet connection went out while I'm playing a campaign I downloaded it means the game stops working? Basically my console is like a streaming box even after I downloaded the offline aspects of a game? I understand consoles will eventually go away but I find this irritating.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Turns out I had to set my Xbox as a "home console". It now allows me to play offline some games I have downloaded from gamepass even when offline.

I don't know why I wasn't given the option to set this xbox as my main console when setting up the console initially.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
as far as i knew you have a periodic online check (one week last i heard) to check if youre still a gp sub and all that jazz but you dont necessarily need to be connected to keep playing. i know for sure i played neon abyss and slay the spire several times. maybe its something specific to doom eternal? or maybe they changed it recently, dunno

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Is your Xbox set as your home Xbox? You should be able to play Game Pass games offline unless this is a Doom: Eternal specific thing I'm not aware of

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure you can play Game Pass games offline on PC, I definitely have done it in the past.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Doom requires you to login into Bethesda.net if I remember correctly. I have previously played Gamepass games offline.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Games you get from PS+ are playable offline, so there is precedent for being allowed to do this.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I was half kidding, of course subscription services will require an online check

Nov 1, 2017
I'm confused by the people saying this is expected, from my experience most subscription services only have a periodic check.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I was half kidding, of course subscription services will require an online check

thats still wrong though, it doesnt, i can still listen to music and watch content i download from netflix/spotify offline
and same with gp games
edit: sorry, quoted the wrong person, it was for the one saying "subscriptions require you to be online", there is a periodic check indeed

Are Games with Gold playable offline? I've never checked

xbox one games have the same periodic activation
xbox 360 games are yours to keep even if you dont have gold anymore

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Did you set your Xbox to be your home Xbox? I'd forgotten to do that for the Series X until a couple of days ago.

Edit: I see you're checking now.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I don't see that as that bad a thing. It's like Netflix. While I'm sure some titles can be played offline for a certain period, it does need an internet connection.

Obviously that sucks and is a downside when you lose internet. That's why I grab games when I've beaten then and they're like $5-$15 later on so I can always play em

xbox one games have the same periodic activation
xbox 360 games are yours to keep even if you dont have gold anymore

I didn't realize that! When you say 360 games do you mean the ones you got with Gold back in the 360 days, or the current 360 Games with Gold?

That's cool that the PS+ games are permanently playable offline. It's not something I ever think about since I live in a city and I have had a constant internet connection for so long.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see that as that bad a thing. It's like Netflix. While I'm sure some titles can be played offline for a certain period, it does need an internet connection.

Obviously that sucks and is a downside when you lose internet. That's why I grab games when I've beaten then and they're like $5-$15 later on so I can always play em

I dont think its "some games" that can be played offline, its most of them. The ones that require another internet check independent from MS that are the exception, and Doom seems to be part of them

I didn't realize that! When you say 360 games do you mean the ones you got with Gold back in the 360 days, or the current 360 Games with Gold?

Any 360 game you got from GWG
I think its the same for OG Xbox games as well but i havent tested

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and same solution.

Not sure why it didn't ask me if I wanted the console to be my home console at set up, or at least didn't seem obvious I had to do so.

Glad it's fixed, OP. I remember being super pissed even my downloaded non-GP games wouldn't work offline.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and same solution.

Not sure why it didn't ask me if I wanted the console to be my home console at set up, or at least didn't seem obvious I had to do so.

Glad it's fixed, OP. I remember being super pissed even my downloaded non-GP games wouldn't work offline.
Thanks for sharing your experience, glad I'm not the only one but glad you figure it out as well.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
as far as i knew you have a periodic online check (one week last i heard) to check if youre still a gp sub and all that jazz but you dont necessarily need to be connected to keep playing. i know for sure i played neon abyss and slay the spire several times. maybe its something specific to doom eternal? or maybe they changed it recently, dunno
I've updated the OP after some feedback but it was something to do with the console being the main console. It has to be set that way. main console is called home console.