• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2020
Anime in general #HotTake

Real answers:

[Videos for Gantz, Tokyo Ghoul, Black Cat, and Deadman Wonderland]

Great openings, awful as hell in execution. These adaptations absolutely butchered the source material. This is the consequence of truncating long-running manga down into short seasons. It just doesn't work.

I need a second post for bad anime adaptations of manga with awesome openings because we can only post four at a time

Part 2:

I can keep going but I'll stop lol

It's not that all of these Anime are necessarily dreadful in isolation. You might have enjoyed some shows, like Shaman King which I know garners a lot of nostalgia. But when you read the source material it's like...well shit, I just wasted my time on cheap, stilted animation, rushed plot that only covers 1/3rd of the story and strips out all of the complexities, horrific rapid-fire pacing that completely messes up the gravitas of important scenes, nonsensical shit "Anime original" plotlines, endings that come out of nowhere, important characters randomly cut out or changed for no reason, etc.

It's why I like to stick to original source material nowadays, like light novels and manga. Anime adaptations can sometimes turn out great. But they can just as easily end up bad because of the corporate realities of production messing with the author's vision. If you have to try to adapt 20+ volumes into 13-26 episodes with no guarantee of a sequel, shit is going to get weird and will end up unfinished unless you are incredibly talented. There are plenty of other examples already mentioned in this thread that bring back horrible memories, like Danganronpa and Umineko.

There's also an unfortunate trend of Anime only created to promote sales of the original work / merch, which exacerbates these types of messes because the Anime studios don't really take the time and care for a proper adaptation.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Finally someone else that doesn't like Psycho Pass. I don't get the love I've seen it get on Era. Both season 1 and 2 suck. Two sucked way more but they both still suck. Never saw 3. All 3 have awesome openings though.

Also, I hear Black Clover sucks but I always watch its OPs because they're all so fucking good.

Black Clover sucked ass for a period because the last many episodes were basically filler, but I hear Season 4 has picked up it's pace and it has become better. need to see for my self tho...

Gurvon

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Maze is a terrible show but man if the opening isn't the quintessential 90's anime opening, a real banger!

Dragonar isn't terrible but its a poorly written boring slog of an anime, that opening though...

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai Flamenco. The show started off fine but 7 or 8 episodes in and it got ridiculous. I was wanting a anime style Kick-Ass but then it just went ape shit and I checked out. But the OP is still hype

I'm convinced they just made up Samurai Flamenco as they went along, as none of it makes any sense after that point and I don't recall any of it being foreshadowed at all.

I also don't believe anyone likes this show unironically, because in addition to having random genre and tone shifts, none of the plot points after the first few episodes are actually good.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Sci Fi Harry

Violinist of Hameln

Vampire Princess Miyu TV

Gunslinger Girl 1 and 2

Blood+ TV

Noir

Infinite Ryvus

Neoranga

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I agree this opening is great but I actually rather liked that series.

This is blasphemous, this show was great and was made even better by the intro.

Eh. If you ask me it's just a forgettable anime adaptation of a shounen manga by confessed pedophile Nobuhiro Watsuki. Entertaining at times, but wouldn't call it good. Then again I'm usually not really interested in shounen stories. OP slaps, though.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'd enjoy the show more in retrospect, it probably went over my head at the time. It's devoid of animation, but the OP song is killer.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Hold the damn phone, bud. I'll give you that the anime-original ending ain't the best but i'll be a monkey's uncle if i'm gonna sit here and let you slander Soul Eater. It's a great anime. Especially given that this opening plays during episodes when they're adapting the manga faithfully. Shenanigans onto you, I say. SHENANIGANS!
Black Star was so annoying, I tapped out after seven episodes.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maze is a terrible show but man if the opening isn't the quintessential 90's anime opening, a real banger!

Dragonar isn't terrible but its a poorly written boring slog of an anime, that opening though...

I think I have you beat for "shitty boring 90s anime with an absolutely banging OP":

EDIT: Here's a more recent example.
Meh anime based on a meh RPG released on the DS but HOLY SHIT...

Last edited:

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, what is with some of these replies?

Cowboy Bebop, Nadia, Serial Experiments Lain? Nah, but you do you I guess.

With that said, I do have one some people might find controversial so I apologize in advance, but...

I'm sorry to say, but Wolf's Rain did not live up to its opening in my opinion. I was so psyched for a semi-post-apocalyptic show set in a city full of unique and interesting characters, which the first 4 episodes or so are consistent with, but unfortunately the series loses a lot of focus after they leave and sadly I couldn't finish it. It has seemingly some interesting things to say (or really, mostly just posits a few interesting questions on repeat), but it sadly didn't live up to the pedigree of its creators ("Same lead writer as Cowboy Bebop? Aw heck yeah! Oh, so I guess that makes it pretty clear how integral Watanabe was as the director.."

To an extent, the same issue is true of Ergo Proxy as well:

However Ergo Proxy, while oddly very similar in a lot of ways, managed to convey a stronger sense of consistent progression and themes. Even if it also got caught in the weeds pretty often and suffered from a lot of aimless wandering when the city was a more interesting place to explore, it's more experimental episodes and overall concepts were more interesting and a lot clearer, such that although it is not high on my list of top anime, it at least deserves a place somewhere among the classic Cyberpunk anime.

There's a big difference between finding that something did not live up to its potential and bad.
The first one you can watch the whole thing and be disappointed. The latter, you can't even go further than episode 1 because it's just bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, what is with some of these replies?

Cowboy Bebop, Nadia, Serial Experiments Lain? Nah, but you do you I guess.

With that said, I do have one some people might find controversial so I apologize in advance, but...

I'm sorry to say, but Wolf's Rain did not live up to its opening in my opinion. I was so psyched for a semi-post-apocalyptic show set in a city full of unique and interesting characters, which the first 4 episodes or so are consistent with, but unfortunately the series loses a lot of focus after they leave and sadly I couldn't finish it. It has seemingly some interesting things to say (or really, mostly just posits a few interesting questions on repeat), but it sadly didn't live up to the pedigree of its creators ("Same lead writer as Cowboy Bebop? Aw heck yeah! Oh, so I guess that makes it pretty clear how integral Watanabe was as the director.."

To an extent, the same issue is true of Ergo Proxy as well:

However Ergo Proxy, while oddly very similar in a lot of ways, managed to convey a stronger sense of consistent progression and themes. Even if it also got caught in the weeds pretty often and suffered from a lot of aimless wandering when the city was a more interesting place to explore, it's more experimental episodes and overall concepts were more interesting and a lot clearer, such that although it is not high on my list of top anime, it at least deserves a place somewhere among the classic Cyberpunk anime.

Not that I don't think "bad" is subjective, but I personally see the universal sign of "bad" to indicate quality control issues, lack of budget, production troubles, fanservice overload, etc. basically anything that gets in the way of the story the writers are trying to tell. Like Ergo Proxy was paced pretty poorly and up its own ass but it was a "complete" piece of art, if you know what I mean. Wolf's Rain is a snoozefest too but there's a level of quality there. If we're just talking about "bad" plots then boy I'd post so many popular anime in here people's head will spin lol

Anyways, Wizards Barristers is a pretty irritating ass trashy anime that doesn't really deserve a neat art-style, world, or OP that it has:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I like it lol. I admit it's not great, but I find it pretty fun and bizarre, with a cool twist. The OP is really a banger though, and the reason why I watched the anime.

I'm glad someone did. I really wanted to enjoy it, but there were many things that rubbed me the wrong way. I have a rant half-typed up in notepad that I've been tempted to finish and post here, but wouldn't know how a LTTP/Review of random anime is received here on Etc.

I should have posted the 2nd opening too. I actually liked it better, though they could have done without the seizure inducing flashes at the start of it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
gotdamn I legit thought this was :

Bad animals with great openings

I
Am
Sorry

71ad5cb6dce579dc23592c072ad382e2.png
"Is that me in your pants or are you just happy to see me?".

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017

Not bad, per se, but this really is more of a cooking anime (you know, cooking and eating dragons) when I was expecting more adventure like what we got in the final few episodes.

Great song. Awful main character. I got 4 eps in before I hit the eject button. Can someone with more fortitude than I let me know if he ever gets redeemed by the end, and if his ex ever stops being a horrible human being as well?

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018

Great song. Awful main character. I got 4 eps in before I hit the eject button. Can someone with more fortitude than I let me know if he ever gets redeemed by the end, and if his ex ever stops being a horrible human being as well?

The main character remains an unbearable, dishonest horndog throughout the series while more girls keep falling for him, and his former girlfriend remains a terrible person. And there will be a second season

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Dimension W is a fucking hot mess of a show, but god damn this opening fucking SLAPS. Just everything about it rules. The dance thing the main character does, the car chase, his crazy knife wire shit, the knife flip, the jump off the trailer he does. it just has so much personality

Fully agreed. A completely forgettable story, with an OP that I still keep on shuffle when working out.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
If we're talking about good songs and well animated/designed OPs for bad shows:

Psycho-Pass S1 OP2: I might get some hate for this but eh. The only reason I even know about this OP is because it was highlighted to me.

ACCA-13: Boring-ass show that I dropped but this OP is fire.

Bleach OP9: Asterisk (OP1) was already posted but this is probably my next favorite OP. (although Ichirin no Hana aka OP3 is also a banger). I dropped the show sometime after this arc (in part to me reading ahead in the manga and realizing it turned to trash). God even this arc itself was bad. Nuclear Hot Take: Bleach had the best OPs out of the "Big 3".

Na, naruto has to win that for me, so many good openings. I can't lie and say nostalgia doesn't influence me but I still go back and watch some of those openings, proper quality.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why hasn't more people mentioned this?

also the EVA hate breaks me heart!

I'm one of the folks who seriously can't stand Eva, but I don't like a lot of anime. I wanted to post up the openings of Elfen Lied, which starts out fantastic, then just becomes childish, and Ergo Proxy, which I just found to be dull. But I'm pretty sure those are considered great shows, and I'm not trying to be spicy up in here.

Those are both great intros, though. I fuckin' LOVED the intro to Elfen Lied.

Rapture

Oct 26, 2017
Good fucking god they really needed to end it after the train arc! The whole season was just, "Yes, we also agree that this anime should end so let's make sure that no one wants to revisit this story ever again!"
Yeah pretty much lol. At least that OP was kinda catchy!

Since Domestic Girlfriend and Rent-A-Girlfriend were already mentioned, I'll list a rom-com that isn't as bad as those 2, but had a fun OP sung by all the voice actors for all the girls

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Magic Knight Rayearth. Hurts to say cause i love CLAMP.

Is the manga better? I found the anime underwhelming and gave up when Fuu traded in her bow for yet another sword (which I'll grant you is an odd reason to drop a show but eh).

Anyway, here's a hot take but deep down you know I'm right:

This intro just tricked us into thinking the show attached to it was good.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Ok I am answering the thread definitively.

The answer has got to be Guilty Crown.

I mean, is there anyone who thinks it was a good anime? The second half especially was terrible. And is there anyone who doesn't like at least one of the openings? OP1 is one of the most popular anime openings of all time. OP2 is underrated as heck.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is just a general thread for anime OPs at this point?
Since somebody already posted a Gundam AGE OP I might as well post another. All of the OPs are wasted on this trainwreck: