• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
KSr0.gif
It's locked at 30fps and Boost mode on Pro doesn't alleviate framepacing issues (totally). I most likely won't run any better. It would load faster though.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Glad they cleared up the save from PS+ because people were already concerned in the other thread that you could only do it via wifi

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
"Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games."

Makes you wonder what are Sega and Codemasters doing.

Hopefully they explain why they are not implementing the cross-save functionality.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This part is interesting in particular. Looking at you Yakuza and Dirt devs. Explinations required.
It's their decision to develop that, it's not their decision to allow that.

As the games are different SKUs, they have to develop something to transfer the saves on servers from the PS4 for example and then get the saves back on the PS5 versions.

If the games were the same SKUs like on Xbox, devs would not have to do anything as it would just work.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested to see how this "Game Boost" works.

Oct 31, 2017
Can I stream PS4 games on PS5?
Yes, Remote Play from PS4 to PS5 and PS Now streaming are supported. The benefit of streaming is that you can save your storage space on PS5. Please note that PS4 games will not leverage PS5's Game Boost through streaming

I'm keeping my ps4 for now to save storage space.

Oct 25, 2017
What is the PS4 game experience like on PS5?
PS4 titles get even better on PS5. Select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds on the PS5 console, and will also leverage Game Boost, offering improved or more stable frame rates. Some titles with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolution up to 4K may see higher fidelity. Additionally, PS4 games will also take advantage of some of PS5's new UX features, but more to come on that later.
UH OH let's all seize on the bolded words to pretend like they aren't doing exactly what Xbox is doing.

New UX feature could be multiple resume.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
It's good to have some info about this now, but what we *really* want is the list of games that will be enhanced...I'm wondering what level of effort they're putting in there, and hope it's higher than some folks are expecting!

I am disappointed, though, that "transferring saves" is a thing we still have to talk about. It would have been nice if Sony baked cloud saves into PS5, like MS did with XB1.

That's an oddball list of games that won't work. Would be really curious to know the why behind them.

Yeah, I'm very interested.

(and I believe Series X isn't definitively going to play every single Xbox One game either).

Pretty sure it's just games requiring Kinect that won't play on Series S/X, as Kinect will no longer be supported on those platforms. Expectations are that everything else that plays on XB1 should work on XSS/X. At the least, there's been no evidence to the contrary.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's their decision to develop that, it's not their decision to allow that.

As the games are different SKUs, they have to develop something to transfer the saves on servers from the PS4 for example and then get the saves back on the PS5 versions.

If the games were the same SKUs like on Xbox, devs would not have to do anything as it would just work.

They should explain their decision to not implement it.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Great news! I guess all that complaining has paid off. They went from top 100 games to 99%. Something lit a fire under their asses. Now I can get rid of my PS4 Pro.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
if gameboost gets bloodborne to 60fps, ill pick up a ps5 at launch
if i can find one

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
pretty bummed on Robinson, its one of the PSVR games i picked up after waiting forever for it to go on sale, though I know opinions are mixed.

Also on that note - where is the info on the PSVR/PS4 camera adapter

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what he's trying to explain here is that, the XBOX team essentially has the option of improving games on the system level by brute forcing improvements, without updates from the developer. On Sony's side, it doesn't seem like they'll implement that themselves, so any improvement on the new hardware will have to come from developers patching older titles.
It is not done through brute forcing improvements. BC games are already being improved by access to the full power of GPU and CPU on XSX. The BC team applies specific techniques and methods to increase the native resolution by a multiplier and/or doubling the framerates in select games.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Some titles with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolution up to 4K may see higher fidelity.
I'm soooo anxious to see God of War running on PS5. Performance mode was pretty choppy at around 45fps a lot of the time. PS5 should be able to keep it a solid 60. Can't wait!

Also wonder if this'll help Bloodborne's frame pacing issues?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I have Rock Band on Xbox, but relieved to not see that listed for PS4 players. Hopefully everyhing works for those players without any unique wonkiness since they probably have huge investments in it.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see that you can use a LAN cable to transfer.

Streaming from PS4 to PS5 is interesting. Wonder if I should hang onto my PS4 Pro for the secondary TV and just stream games to the PS5 in the living room instead, excerpt for those BC titles that benefit from boost mode.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm excited for the easy transfer options (over LAN or Wi-fi) and so glad we can just plug in our external hard drives. I was hoping they could pull that off since Xbox announced it so long ago.

Also funny that it supports Remote Play for PS4, and they recommend it to save storage 🤣

WillySJ3

Oct 31, 2017
How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?
You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you've already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

Is that clear enough??

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so that means I can't transfer my PS4 saved data that i backed up on an external storage to the PS5 ????
What the fuck Sony I already sold my Pro and I don't have plus on my main account so my data isn't in the cloud 😡

Not sure if you saw the latest news but you are good to go.

If you've already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Great news! I guess all that complaining has paid off. They went from top 100 games to 99%. Something lit a fire under their asses. Now I can get rid of my PS4 Pro.

nope they said in March that the overwhelming majority of games would play. it was always gonna be around 99% like Jim reiterated later.

people took the top 100 thing as meaning very limited BC and complained about it all summer for no reason.

www.theverge.com

Sony clarifies that PS5 will support ‘overwhelming majority’ of PS4 games

After the company hinted it might not support the broader library earlier this week.

Cerny was talking about Boost Mode essentially when he was mentioning top 100 titles. I took that to mean that's what they were testing at the time.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
" PS4 games will also take advantage of some of PS5's new UX features, but more to come on that later."

anybody an idea what they could mean with that?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So essentially Microsoft have done the additional work to patch the game (or patch the systems firmware) to allow those games to perform better?
Yes select games will have improved resolution and frame rate beyond whats possible by the standard BC feature. Example Gears ultimate is 1 game that is being updated from 1080p 30 to 4K 60, not much info is available right now for this specific feature though.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes select games will have improved resolution and frame rate beyond whats possible by the standard BC feature. Example Gears ultimate is 1 game that is being updated from 1080p 30 to 4K 60, not much info is available right now for this specific feature though.
So essentially that means it still works exactly the same as the ps5 (other than HDR) but Microsoft are stepping in for specific games to add improvements.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Included a list of unplayable games.
Confirmed PS+ titles directly.
Confirmed the HDD move.
Confirmed transferring saves.
Confirmed launch day.
Even included remote play from PS4 to PS5.

I think that covers literally all the concern.
yes but are we sure that list of 1% incompatible games isn't going to grow
/concern

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
UH OH let's all seize on the bolded words to pretend like they aren't doing exactly what Xbox is doing.

New UX feature could be multiple resume.
I know you're downplaying the concern trolls, but which games get enhancements is really important to me since I haven't played any PS4 exclusives yet and I have a PS5 pre-ordered. It's annoying how tight-lipped and vague Sony has been in this respect, especially given the deluge of BC info from Xbox

Great, so at the very least we know ND's PS4 games are playable. Is that the most we should expect?

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
" PS4 games will also take advantage of some of PS5's new UX features, but more to come on that later. "

GIMME

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I meant by "brute force" since the BC team doesn't have access to the game code itself, they're just doing it through the hardware.
Yes, but that's not "brute force" as it implies they're simply adding more power and that's it to increase native resolutions and/or double the framerates beyond what they were coded at in select games. I would refrain from using that term to describe what the BC team is doing.