• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so the DS4 DOES work with the PS5. Just as long as you are playing PS4 games. I seem to recall people saying you couldn't use the DS4 full stop?

Was that a change in policy, unclear messaging or people here spreading FUD?
Nah, people probably misspoke. PS4 games can be played with either the DualShock 4 or DualSense. PS5 games can ONLY be played with the DualSense.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
See, you guys were worried about nothing. Sometimes you just have to be patient and relax. Let this be a lesson to you.
I think you are perhaps speaking too soon. The games being playable is awesome but their statement doesn't instill confidence in how they will perform. Everyone should be in wait and see mode. Hopefully we start getting impressions from outlets shortly.

Starok

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are you hearing that only certain games will run in boost mode?

The implication always sounded to me like every game has access to boost mode but it might break some games so in that case there are PS4 / PS4 Pro compatibility modes to ensure that 99% of games are still playable.
That's what I understand.
Exactly like boost mode on ps4 pro.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sad for Robison in vr, that would be a game that could win a lot on ps5.

Edit: DWVR said they got contact that the game just don't launch on ps5, he use unreal engine and will try to patch it before ps5 launch.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
cloud saves are locked behind the PS+ paywall on Playstation.
It would probably be best to pay for a month of PS+ to transfer everything over versus dealing with the hassle of doing the physical transfer. Honestly it would be nice if Sony unlocked cloud saves for everyone during the first few months of next gen.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
If i have my ps4 games transfered to external drive, can i plug this drive to the ps5 and play the games without the need of ps5 to format the drive?

Nb: same PS account on both machines.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Excellent news. The coy messaging has been frustrating and I'd still like to see how it looks in the UI all together, but the concrete info is exactly what I was hoping for.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sad for Robison in vr, that would be a game that could win a lot on ps5.

Edit: DWVR said they got contact that the game just don't launch on ps5, he use unreal engine and will try to patch it before ps5 launch.
Who knows, maybe they can patch things to work on PS5. If they really wanted to go back and work on something if it was possible I suppose.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Only the PS5 has legacy modes, which apparently most games will run in. These modes will run even unlocked framerate games just like on PS4 or Pro respectively. A selected amount will take advantage of the PS5 hardware and see boosts. On Xbox this works differently, because there are no legacy modes and all games use the hardware power of the Xbox Series X|S (with the exception of RDNA2 enhancements).
A selected amount will take advantage of the PS5 hardware and see boosts.

That's not what is saying. Why do all these FUD-spreaders change 'select' to 'selected'?

Boost mode works for all titles, but only certain games will (or rather can) improve. Similar as on PS4 Pro.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Honestly it would be nice if Sony unlocked cloud saves for everyone during the first few months of next gen.
This would be great and is needed. There is no reason this should be behind a paywall.
The exact wording they used is open to interpretation "Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console's Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate."

Does select mean restricted to specific games only, or does it actually mean select in the sense that only games which had an unstable or uncapped framerate will actually benefit from the boost mode.

On the basis of how they implemented boost on PS4 Pro I would be surprised if it isn't available for all games.
PS4 Pro was a different beast and much easier to achieve compatibility.
Where are you hearing that only certain games will run in boost mode?
It's in the OP.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well done Sony.

I'd love to know which PS4 games can run in PS5 Native mode, but I'm not worried about it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's not what is saying. Why do all these FUD-spreaders change 'select' to 'selected'?

Boost mode works for all titles, but only certain games will (or rather can) improve. Similar as on PS4 Pro.
Don't call me a FUD spreader just because you don't like my opinion.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
If that's the full list of non-compatible games and everything else is playable at launch, then Sony has done it! Interested to see what the compromises will be (and what exactly boost mode means - does it mean that non-boosted games just run the same as on PS4? Or does it mean everything is better, but some are better-er than others?). But overall, this is fantastic news.

Yay back compat :D See. We're all so much happier once Sony starts talking about stuff. I challenge anyone who was complaining about us asking for more details to tell me they're not happier now than when we were in the dark.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Great news.
Only thing that's still unclear to me is whether I can use the backup of games and saves I made from my PS4 before trading it. Would seem weird to support wifi transfer but not restore from backup. But then it would seem equally weird to support it but not mention it.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now all wee need to see is an example of how boost mode works.. Sony should just show FFXV or MHW.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nope. Only the PS5 has legacy modes, which apparently most games will run in. These modes will run even unlocked framerate games just like on PS4 or Pro respectively. A selected amount will take advantage of the PS5 hardware and see boosts. On Xbox this works differently, because there are no legacy modes and all games use the hardware power of the Xbox Series X|S (with the exception of RDNA2 enhancements).

Your reading of this is incorrect. All games have access to this boost mode, but by virtue of many being locked to a static resolution and frame rate, they won't see improvements.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you are perhaps speaking too soon. The games being playable is awesome but their statement doesn't instill confidence in how they will perform. Everyone should be in wait and see mode. Hopefully we start getting impressions from outlets shortly.
lol ok, no i think you are overreacting. games are going to be fine and i bet more often than not will see definite improvements.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer.
Wait so that means I can't transfer my PS4 saved data that i backed up on an external storage to the PS5 ????
What the fuck Sony I already sold my Pro and I don't have plus on my main account so my data isn't in the cloud 😡

Oct 25, 2017
Sony says some games will have faster or smoother framerates and/or higher resolutions where possible. That sounds EXACTLY like what Xbox is doing with unpatched games. What do you think is going to be different? PS5 isn't powerful enough to hit 60fps or max resolution in these unlocked/dynamic res games?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

That's a weird distinction you're making. If something "works" but has no effect, then it's not really.. working is it? Anyway, hope all games see SOME improvement. (And also hope that we can disable if that will help compatibility).

Great news.
Only thing that's still unclear to me is whether I can use the backup of games and saves I made from my PS4 before trading it. Would seem weird to support wifi transfer but not restore from backup. But then it would seem equally weird to support it but not mention it.
Yea.............. Maybe hold onto it for now? Where is the backup saved to?

Oct 25, 2017
This would be great and is needed. There is no reason this should be behind a paywall.
PS4 Pro was a different beast and much easier to achieve compatibility.
It's in the OP.

No, it's not. You have an incorrect understanding of boost mode and how it works. This is PS4 Pro verbiage all over again.

What you are stating is not supported by the OP at all.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Sony says some games will have faster or smoother framerates and/or higher resolutions where possible. That sounds EXACTLY like what Xbox is doing with unpatched games. What do you think is going to be different? PS5 isn't powerful enough to hit 60fps or max resolution in these unlocked/dynamic res games?
People seem to be under the impression that Xbox is going to magically run games beyond their hard coded limits without a patch.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
You're deliberately changing the wording, resulting in exactly that.
Or maybe I was born in a different than a english speaking country. Duh. Jesus some of you guys are way to salty and way to quick with judging people. Adds to the toxicity the mods here are trying to fight.
Your reading of this is incorrect. All games have access to this boost mode, but by virtue of many being locked to a static resolution and frame rate, they won't see improvements.
Could be yes. Than I apologise.
Yeah I agree, you aren't a FUD spreader. It's best we dont go that route.

but you are in my opinion, a moron.
And you a 4 year old just trying to insult people.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
If that's the full list of non-compatible games and everything else is playable at launch, then Sony has done it! Interested to see what the compromises will be (and what exactly boost mode means - does it mean that non-boosted games just run the same as on PS4? Or does it mean everything is better, but some are better-er than others?). But overall, this is fantastic news.

Yay back compat :D See. We're all so much happier once Sony starts talking about stuff. I challenge anyone who was complaining about us asking for more details to tell me they're not happier now than when we were in the dark.

The problem isn't just criticizing communication but how many people concluded things with little to no information about it.

"they aren't talking about it so it's bad" type logic when the simpler solution is they're testing a bunch of games and there isn't a full list. We don't even have a full list for Xbox last I checked.

This was done ad nauseum and yet the same standard was not held for Microsoft. Is it a big deal? No. But it just made threads for weeks almost impossible to read through.

People seem to be under the impression that Xbox is going to magically run games beyond their hard coded limits without a patch.
Yeah it's silly. I can see more patches on the Xbox side though based on more recent history.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So will games get a brute force framerate/res boost like on Xbox?
Games with an unlocked framerate(/capped at 60 fps) and/or a dynamic resolution will profit from the PS5 native 'boost' mode. A game like Arkham Knight for example which is locked at 1080p/30fps will still play in 1080p/30fps unless the developer patches in a 'performance mode' which uncaps the framerate and/or resolution.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird distinction you're making. If something "works" but has no effect, then it's not really.. working is it? Anyway, hope all games see SOME improvement. (And also hope that we can disable if that will help compatibility).

The distinction is that boost mode is available to all games and not some Sony approved whitelist. Boost mode (as of what Sony has said thus far) can't improve games that already run at their resolution and performance ceiling.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Wait so that means I can't transfer my PS4 saved data that i backed up on an external storage to the PS5 ????
What the fuck Sony I already sold my Pro and I don't have plus on my main account so my data isn't in the cloud 😡
Your saves?
I assume you can since you can play BC games from external storage, it would be weird for saves to not work.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

It's on an sd card, made via USB adaptor. No harm in hanging onto it. I don't have data caps, and my saves are also on PS+ - my only real worry is that it's my only hope for PT, lol. That is if it does turn out to be BC anyway.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
nothing really new other than the incompatible PS4 games... I have a feeling people will still be confused though

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this was posted:

www.gameinformer.com

Why You Should Buy PS5 And Xbox Series X/S

We talk to the two platform holders launching new consoles next month to hear why an upgrade is worth it.

"Still, most of your existing PlayStation 4 library will work on PS5 from day one. "We know our fans have invested a lot of time building their collection of PS4 games, so library portability is critically important," says Nishino. "When you sign in to PS5 with your account, you will automatically see your library of played PS4 content through the menu. Approximately 99 percent of the thousands of PS4 titles, both catalog and newly published, will be playable on PS5, and we're excited about supporting our PlayStation community as they transition from PS4 to PS5 when they're ready."

I think some ppl are getting too worked up over the wifi transfer thing.

I was gonna post this in reference to the UI in another thread, but it might fit better here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
  • Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
While I'm happy that most games are playable, this line is a bit scary.
I suspect that there will be varying degrees of performance across many games, but they aren't publishing a list as they did for PS3 as to not draw attention to it.