• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
What about digital ps4 games installed on an external ps4 usb drive.

Can this external drive plug and play on PS5 without reformatting it? What is the process like?

This one is very important.

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017
You have to use your PS4 camera. PSVR won't work with the new PS5 camera.

You will need an adaptor to plug the PS4 camera into the PS5. Sony has said it will be free. They haven't given details yet on how to get one.

edit - beaten by lots of other helpful folks :P

i am very surprised that they are offering free adaptor, did not expect that at all.
Time to get my PSVR out of the box, didnt play it for a looong while.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Why do yall do this to yourself? There is an honest answer as to why saying "All" is not correct. Because that's a 100% guarantee and 100% isn't true. Being honest by saying "some" is actually the type of real ass honesty you want when reality shows that completely. "All" Xbox BC games won't work well and if you want to hold them to their words with this same energy, that would actually be pretty nice.
It's nice that they're being honest about which games won't be backwards compatible and that they've said that some games may have issues, but Microsoft has literally said that all BC games will not only work on Series X|S, but will work better than on previous consoles. That's a really high bar that I'm pretty confident that they'll hit given the early look we've seen from content creators, and it's one that Sony hasn't reached with the PS5.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think I own Robinson: The Journey.

No big deal though. I had zero plans to go back to it.

They need to hurry up and tell me how to get the adaptor for the PS4 camera though.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Digital Foundry BC face-offs will be just as interesting as the next-gen ones. Speaking of, why are there no videos showing PS4 games running on PS5 yet? Are they not allowed to do that?

Their main focus is new games. That's what sells the hardware for them.
Probably later for sure.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
An other PS5 FUD chapter debunked and closed.
Many of them recently.
Looking forward to see the improvements that the SSD and boost mode will bring to PS4 games.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
User Warned: Platform Waring
Digital Foundry BC face-offs will be just as interesting as the next-gen ones. Speaking of, why are there no videos showing PS4 games running on PS5 yet? Are they not allowed to do that?
Sony is not in the desperate position where they need to show back compatibility games to sell their console as part of their marketing I feel that they are likely focusing on PS5 games primarily. While it is possible they might show a game like ghost or the last of us in PS5 boost mode I wouldn't hold my breath, likely we will see that if they every send press consoles to test for themselves.

Deleted member 6511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can this external drive plug and play on PS5 without reformatting it? What is the process like?

Yep I really would like it to be plug and play. I have 3TB drive full of games I do not want to re-download...

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Is anyone buying an external SATA SSD for their BC library? If the PS5 is comparable to the XSX, loading BC games to the internal storage won't make much sense, as shown by Digital Foundrys latest video.

Last edited:

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
That's a pretty random list of incompatible games.

most likely the programmers did something odd that makes it hard to run on the new hardware. Guessing it has to be related to some feature in ps4 Gpu that is not supported in the same manner in ps5 but impossible to know.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
I want a list of the games that will get boost mode.

Yes!

Sony should give us a short list of popular games that will see a boost in performance, I suppose it's safe to assume any games with unlocked frame rates of variable resolution should see a boost.

Honestly, I'll be too busy with nba2k, COD, Cyberpunk, and Demons Souls to care about BC for the first couple months. But it's a long winter!

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bad example- Bloodborne already runs at a steady 30 fps on Pro. The issue is framepacing and that isn't fixed through increased horsepower. Unless Bloodborne is patched uniquely then it will run identical on PS5 as it does on PS4.
Is the cause of the bad framepacing in Bloodborne well understood? If not, maybe the potential for better framepacing from better performance shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. For instance, I could see how the bad framepacing could result from doing a poor job of recovering from missed deadlines. Then better performance could lead to fewer or no lost deadlines, with better framepacing as a result.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017

This is big for me as well. I'm hoping it will read it like the XSX will read the XB1 external HDD.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone buying an external SATA SSD for theIR BC library? If the PS5 is comparable to the XSX, loading BC games to the internal storage won't make much sense, as shown by Digital Foundrys latest video.

I'll just use the one I already have tbh. Hope we don't need to reformat it or anything.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This is definitely good news. Still a bit uneasy with the "trial and error" disclaimer they had provided, though.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is that bit about HDR telling us? Does that mean the PS5 always has HDR on and if you boot a BC game that doesn't support HDR it's gonna look real washed out?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is not in the desperate position where they need to show back compatibility games to sell their console as part of their marketing I feel that they are likely focusing on PS5 games primarily. While it is possible they might show a game like ghost or the last of us in PS5 boost mode I wouldn't hold my breath, likely we will see that if they every send press consoles to test for themselves.
Stop with this implication that Xbox is in a DESPERATE position where they need to show backwards compatibility games to sell their console as part of their marketing. It's unnecessary and merely adds fuel to console war nonsense.

Joo

May 25, 2018
No it's not. Sony are saying that outside of a select few titles that can use a ps5 boost mode, games will run on PS4 pro mode. That's not the same. Xbox basically brute forces anything to it's max internal frame rate (whether it's 30 or 60) and or will max out any resolution scaling, as standard. Ps5 doesn't appear to say that. It says you'll get the boosts from PS4 pro and a select few will go beyond that.
They aren't saying it's only few games, but select titles. Neither XSX or PS5 can't brute force any game with capped frame rate or set resolution. It's only possible with games that have unlocked fps and variable resolution, so select titles. It's not selected titles.

There's nothing inherently different with these outside of auto hdr.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I read "Shadow Complex Remastered" as "Shadow of the Colossus Remastered" and I was about to be VERY upset and confused.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Own 4 outta 10.

• Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
who got me beat

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Is the cause of the bad framepacing in Bloodborne well understood? If not, maybe the potential for better framepacing from better performance shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. For instance, I could see how the bad framepacing could result from doing a poor job of recovering from missed deadlines. Then better performance could lead to fewer or no lost deadlines, with better framepacing as a result.
I imagine Bloodborne could be fixed if backwards compatibility somehow includes VRR technology . If your TV supports it, then that will take the frame pacing issues away maybe?

Oct 25, 2017
None of these, but third is the closest. They definitely have tested the games to put something this definitive out in the wild, but of course some PS4 games can and probably will have some minor unforeseen issues. Games on the list probably won't boot at all.

All in all, you can generally expect to basically be able play your whole PS4 library without issues.

Do we actually know how crossgen games are handled? It would be quite strange if essentially a PS4 game like Dirt 5 wouldn't support DS4 also on PS5 as the support for it already exists on PS4.
We don't know that, but I will be finding out because I pre-ordered the PS4 version thanks to a nice discount. My assumption is that once I update it to the PS5 version, DS4 compatibility will cease. Maybe cross-gen/free-upgrade games will surprise us, though.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Series X uses the whole power of the CPU and GPU when running BC games, so even if a game is locked to 30FPS, the extra horsepower will help with times when the framerate would normally drop, helping it run better. This info about the PS5 doesn't clarify that this is the case for BC games on PS5, so while some games might take advantage of the extra power, it remains to be seen if that is the case for all BC games. I hope I'm wrong, but their wording of "Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console's Game Boost" has me skeptical. Hopefully this Game Boost will work on every BC title and I'll be proven wrong, but again we have yet to see any PS4 games running on PS5.

It's not really all that different than PS4 Pro boost mode. If the frame rate isn't dropping below 30 or 60 fps to begin with, then nothing happens. Also the PS5 has much more power to work with than PS4 Pro did, so dropped framerates on PS5 while playing BC games would be incredibly rare.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They'd have access to it, yes. Does a QA tester possibly working from home have easy access to it? A more convoluted process for some random QA tester tasked with testing dozens of games each and that's assuming it's even on the list of titles to test.
I doubt very much that Sony's QA process relies on what discs their staff have in their personal collections.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 Second Screen app or game companion apps.
Presumably this means none of the PlayLink games (like Knowledge Is Power and That's You) are supported either, correct? Since that renders those games unplayable, I'm a bit surprised they weren't just added to the 'not compatible' list.

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
This is fantastic! Hopefully we will get a list of upgraded games soon, and hopefully all SIE games are in there. I would love to play Bloodborne, Days Gone, Tsushima, GOW and Death Stranding in 4K-60.

Oct 25, 2017
No it's not. Sony are saying that outside of a select few titles that can use a ps5 boost mode, games will run on PS4 pro mode. That's not the same. Xbox basically brute forces anything to it's max internal frame rate (whether it's 30 or 60) and or will max out any resolution scaling, as standard. Ps5 doesn't appear to say that. It says you'll get the boosts from PS4 pro and a select few will go beyond that.

Where are you getting "select few titles" from. My understanding is every PS4 game on PS5 has access to boost mode. The PS4 Pro / PS4 compatibility modes on the PS5 are for if boost mode breaks some games.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
P

I think this was addressed in the initial reveal

Any external drive can be used but you are limited with regards to PS5 installs on a fast enough drive

If you are just using an old drive for ps4 games it should just work like it used to but i have no way to confirm this.

They had just mentioned that any basic external will be limited to ps4 games

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Finally we know... "PS4 game discs can't be used with the PlayStation®5 Digital Edition.' I've seen a few asking this questing for reasons unknown lol

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree 100 but...
They could just put out a video of Bloodborne running on PS5 with or without enhancements and that would quell many concerns and conversations.
93c8da6fdd956ba9bdcb3a8784d89e3f.jpg

We aren't getting any patches or enhancements for current Bloodborne SKU. It will run exactly like it does on PS4 Pro with improved loading times, that's about it. We'll get Bloodborne Remaster at some point for $69.99