• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I am still confused.

Can I play PSVR games using my official PS4 camera with my PS5? Or do I need to buy the new cam?
I understand I will need to use my DualShock. But the camera question is unclear.

You have to use your PS4 camera. PSVR won't work with the new PS5 camera.

You will need an adaptor to plug the PS4 camera into the PS5. Sony has said it will be free. They haven't given details yet on how to get one.

edit - beaten by lots of other helpful folks :P

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Bruh, months of concern, valid or not, just died in a matter of seconds.
true, now it seems even more stupid to not put it in writing earlier. Sony is so off on their communication.

Though the news itself is super awesome, I mean considering the kinect games, these 10 games are probably even less than what you are missing from xbox one to series xs

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The legalese would be there no matter what and it doesn't really tell us anything. It's not about putting it there because of definite problems, it's for legal protection in case of unforeseen issues. If games wouldn't work at all, no legal speak like that would get them off the hook.
Sony was sued because they claimed Killzone Shadowfall was full HD but technically used some upscaling. Folks can and will sue if they don't do this kind of stuff

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Nobody is going to be happy until the console is released and the community puts together a BC FAQ. It does not really matter how detailed Sony gets on the matter.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong but I thought they basically made it so it's not required to support the DS4 but I believe if a developer wants to add support for the DS4 they can. Otherwise no 3rd party controllers would work on the system, right? Seems more for cases like Astro Bot that use all of the Dualsense features, it would probably be unplayable during certain sections without a DS.

No, you can't use DS4 for PS5 games at all.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
It looks like Afro Samurai is delisted from PSN? If so that gives me hope this means other delisted games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance/2 should work which would be great.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
So is it safe to assume that saving PS4 games on an external HDD then plugging it to the PS5 will work from the get go? Cause the FAQ is not clear about that

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's unacceptable we can't play Joe's Diner properly on PS5... >: (

frustrated.gif
/j

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Gamer culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in films where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in something related to games, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gamer public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and port Joe's Diner to the PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It's great that pretty much every PS4 game is playable. Makes me feel no loss in trading it in for my PS5.

I do wonder about boost mode though. The "select games" line doesn't build the most confidence, though hopefully that just means games that have pro patches and so have uncapped frame rates/dynamic resolutions.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Random list of games, any guesses why they wouldn't work?
Impossible to tell for sure. Bad multi-threading code causing hidden race conditions is something Cerny talked about, and is mentionned in his patent filings for BC fallback modes. None of the big publishers would have this sort of bug, specially today, but very small studios might not have the best code inspection tools and they might not be available to patch the bugs. We didn't see much of that with the Pro and XSX because it was the same CPU just clocked higher, but this time the CPU arch is different enough that it could happen.

Example:
Thread 1: execute A
Thread 2: execute B and C
...and C needs the data from A

If B is always slower than A, the game won't expose the bug, and it will launch with an invisibly broken multi-threading code. Then, next gen CPU happens to be faster to do A than B, will cause the game to fail.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
Nobody is going to be happy until the console is released and the community puts together a BC FAQ. It does not really matter how detailed Sony gets on the matter.
I agree 100 but...
They could just put out a video of Bloodborne running on PS5 with or without enhancements and that would quell many concerns and conversations.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great, but it seems like I can't get rid of my PS4 just yet because you have to transfer saves via WiFi? USB backups gotta work, right?

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm reading this right, that means PS4 disc games can install from the disc onto the PS5, aside from update patches? This is different from how it is implemented on Xbox: inserting a 360 disc triggers a full download of the game, leaving the disc as a license check.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably already asked, but what PS4 games will run in Boost Mode on the PS5?

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
The only disappointing news is that it seems like apart from a select few titles, you won't be seeing any further boosts to games beyond PS4 pro mode. So in theory, that keeps wobbly frame rates to unlocked games like dark souls3, kingdom hearts, monster hunter, until dawn etc etc the same unless they get patched. I really hope this isn't the case

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So is it safe to assume that saving PS4 games on an external HDD then plugging it to the PS5 will work from the get go? Cause the FAQ is not clear about that

I got the impression it wouldn't work from the phrase "PS5 extended storage" but who knows.

Will suck for as I've already sold my PS4 and P.T. ,etc are sitting on an external

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
So Sony lied, surprise surprise.

They said 99% would be playable. Going off of the Wikipedia list of 2942 PS4 games, that's actually 99.67%. Going off of their (rounded) figure of 4000(+), that's 99.75%.

Fucking liars. Just lying about everything n' shit.

I just wanted to say, I appreciate you for making the exact kinds of posts that I want to make.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Terrific! As someone who never had a Pro and just picked up a 4k screen, this is excellent news. Can't wait to replay the massive games with the Pro improvements. Now to get more details on the PS5 improved games. I think Cerny said at least most of the top 100 most played games got tested and are going to have improvements with more on the way. Sony has a lot of catching up to do in this regard but glad they are working towards that.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Hats off to the BC being this thorough day-one.

No checking in for updates to a list, no waiting for a few games I want to work, the PS5 just does it.

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only disappointing news is that it seems like apart from a select few titles, you won't be seeing any further boosts to games beyond PS4 pro mode. So in theory, that keeps wobbly frame rates to unlocked games like dark souls3, kingdom hearts, monster hunter, until dawn etc etc the same unless they get patched. I really hope this isn't the case
Dark Souls 3, Monster Hunter World and KH3 all have unlocked framerates and should benefit from the boost mode.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Will get the PS5 next spring probably so it'll give the chance to see what the BC actually is like before I decide to trade in my PS4.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Transfer digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console
  • You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer.
  • You can access PS4 games on a PS5 console directly from a PS5 extended storage drive.

The fact it calls it out specifically as a PS5 extended storage drive kind of gives me the impression it's not a simple plug n play, which will be very disappointing if it's not.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll be able to use wifi transfer while downloading games at the same time.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true either. The PS5 is also a PS4. You can play PS4 games with a DSense. The limitation for the opposite scenario is quite arbitrary. Especially if they let you disable the new haptic and trigger features, which they eventually will if they don't already due to accessibility concerns.

It's only a PS4 insofar as being able to play PS4 games on it--it's a PS5 otherwise, with the default hardware being that native to the system (DualSense).

And to that point, to the extent it is a PS4--i.e., playing PS4 games--you can use a DS4. The issue presented is not that, it's playing PS5 games with the DS4, which--again--is entirely inconsistent with their hardware philosophy.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like more world about actual enhancements. Something I'm a lot more confident in Xbox doing.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Great to hear details about their BC implementation.
Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console's Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate
As I basically said. No option to activate boost mode for all games. I wonder when or if at all we are getting a list with games that benefit from higher framerate and resolution due to using the boost mode. All other games will just run like on PS4/Pro with the exception of better loading.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
You can trasfer it from your PS4 to PS5 using wifi. Its in the OP.
I'm not taking that as a guarantee. I'm very curious if it does work out, but I would not be surprised at all if it's specifically blacklisted from transferring or should also be on the incompatible list.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Sony lied, surprise surprise.

They said 99% would be playable. Going off of the Wikipedia list of 2942 PS4 games, that's actually 99.67%. Going off of their (rounded) figure of 4000(+), that's 99.75%.

Fucking liars. Just lying about everything n' shit.

Lmao thank you for doing this math so I didn't have to

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Is there any reason why you would need a DS4 for any PS4 games instead of just using a DualSense?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So no 3rd party controllers will work either?

Third party specialty controllers should work like arcade sticks, but not standard controllers. They're different types of controllers.

Is there any reason why you would need a DS4 for any PS4 games instead of just using a DualSense?
It's nice to have around for local multiplayer without having to buy more controllers but other than that, I don't think so.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I agree 100 but...
They could just put out a video of Bloodborne running on PS5 with or without enhancements and that would quell many concerns and conversations.
They could. They still have time to do it. It's not like the BC question is impacting preorders since they're already sold out, right? There's plenty of time to get all of this answered.